Player Discussion: Rasmus Kupari

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Kupari is intriguing because he looked like a slam dunk offensive forward, having been on Finland's top line for the 2019 WJC and was going to be for 2020 as well until he tore his ACL in the first game. Unfortunately, ever since then he hasn't really had that offensive flash since; but just this past year, grew into a solid defensive 4th line role with the Kings as one of their only right-handed forwards that was good at faceoffs - hey, sounds familiar to a gaping need for the Jets the past little while!

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Welcome to Winnipeg...

kupari_rasmus.jpg

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Kupari is intriguing because he looked like a slam dunk offensive forward, having been on Finland's top line for the 2019 WJC and was going to be for 2020 as well until he tore his ACL in the first game. Unfortunately, ever since then he hasn't really had that offensive flash since; but just this past year, grew into a solid defensive 4th line role with the Kings as one of their only right-handed forwards that was good at faceoffs - hey, sounds familiar to a gaping need for the Jets the past little while!
Kupari is very good skater, good passer and good defender.

He was a little unlucky scoring goals last year, but has accurate and powerful shot.

I think if he made 8-10 more goals this year Kings would not trade him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This player is interesting and might surprise some people how good he really is on the Jets. IMO he's easily a top 9 player, not a 4th liner.

This player is interesting and might surprise some people how good he really is on the Jets 4th line.

:laugh: jk
I think your last sentence is a little premature. I expect him to help our 4th line and think he has some 3rd line upside. He might be the 4C we have been looking for. But Stenlund had more G than Kupari did last year, in fewer games.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This player is interesting and might surprise some people how good he really is on the Jets 4th line.

:laugh: jk
I think your last sentence is a little premature. I expect him to help our 4th line and think he has some 3rd line upside. He might be the 4C we have been looking for. But Stenlund had more G than Kupari did last year, in fewer games.

Thats what I'm saying, even if maybe I worded it unclear. He will start likely on our 4th line and has the potential to be top 9 player.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some scouting reports on Kupa:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Suomalainen NHL-pelaaja hörppi drinkkiä Mallorcalla – Sitten tuli mullistava puhelu: ”Tyhjä olo kyllä oli”

Kupari tells Finnish media what he thinks about beeing traded from sunny California to Winnipeg:

- Business is business. I cant say this is a disappointment.
- Many players in LA are close friends, but theres nothing you can do about it. I`m going from the positive side of this.
- I`ve lived in Oulu in northern Finland. Climate is the same as in Winnipeg so I`ll get used to it. Gotta buy me some long-johns again.
- Hockey is the biggest sport in Canada. If you f*** up they let you hear about it and if you do well youre a hero. Jets got fanatic fans so it feels good to get to see Canadian hockey-culture.
- My goal is to be a better player and i have to work especially hard thi summer to get a bigger role and take the next step.
- Jets have a really good skating core, good coaching and hardnosed team. Some rewamping is beeing done there too. I want to be a part of the core.
- I`m excited to get this opportunity.

He seems to be pretty ok with the trade and will probably compete for a spot.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Suomalainen NHL-pelaaja hörppi drinkkiä Mallorcalla – Sitten tuli mullistava puhelu: ”Tyhjä olo kyllä oli”

Kupari tells Finnish media what he thinks about beeing traded from sunny California to Winnipeg:

- Many players in LA are close friends, but theres nothing you can do about it. I`m going from the positive side of this.
- I`ve lived in Oulu in northern Finland. Climate is the same as in Winnipeg so I`ll get used to it. Gotta buy me some long-johns again.
- Hockey is the biggest sport in Canada. If you f*** up they let you hear about it and if you do well youre a hero. Jets got fanatic fans so it feels good to get to see Canadian hockey-culture.
- My goal is to be a better player and i have to work especially hard thi summer to get a bigger role and take the next step.
- Jets have a really good skating core, good coaching and hardnosed team. Some rewamping is beeing done there too. I want to be a part of the core.

Good interview -- thanks for posting.

I think he'll fit in fine, and if he can contribute some offence with a solid D game and the odd highlight-reel hit he'll become a fan favourite.

I can still remember that Joel Armia minute-long puck rag penalty kill. Absolutely epic, and the fans were on their feet.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Love hearing that.

Especially the bits about wanting to up his game and be a big part of the core. This is exactly what you want to hear from a player like him. Some Kings fans thought he was being held back and had more to give, he's got the opportunity to show that now and he knows it. Let's hope he takes advantage - the skills are clearly there.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I like the fact that he plays physical, and also has some speed. All he needs to be this year is better than the warm bodies the Jets have played on the 4th like AJF, Maenalanen, Kuhlman, etc., and the team can see if he has untapped potential for more.
He actually has untapped offensive potential. LA played him in a defensive role albeit he has been an offensive player all his career before going to NHL. I actually think he sees this as a new opportunity. I only translated the most important parts of the article, but he seems to be genuinly happy for this new opportunity.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Good interview -- thanks for posting.

I think he'll fit in fine, and if he can contribute some offence with a solid D game and the odd highlight-reel hit he'll become a fan favourite.

I can still remember that Joel Armia minute-long puck rag penalty kill. Absolutely epic, and the fans were on their feet.
Good interview but I am so sick of the comments about Winnipeg weather I want to 🤮
It comes up in so many stories you'd think we were frozen solid for the entire year. Maybe time report how Alberta has snow storms in June ( just recently), B.C. is burning to the ground etc.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Good interview but I am so sick of the comments about Winnipeg weather I want to 🤮
It comes up in so many stories you'd think we were frozen solid for the entire year. Maybe time report how Alberta has snow storms in June ( just recently), B.C. is burning to the ground etc.
Lets be fair he was living in LA. Almost a complete polar opposite of climate types. Also I don't think people who criticize or bring up the Winnipeg weather ever turn around and compliment the likes of Alberta's weather. I think it's in comparison to California and Florida.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Love hearing that.

Especially the bits about wanting to up his game and be a big part of the core. This is exactly what you want to hear from a player like him. Some Kings fans thought he was being held back and had more to give, he's got the opportunity to show that now and he knows it. Let's hope he takes advantage - the skills are clearly there.

Yep.

Should Heinola end up being traded we can literally cut n' paste this para and pass it onto that fanbase. Let's hope they don't have each other's text #s.

Very happy with this pick. He's my sleeper add of this deal.

But then, I was a big fan of peak One Man Armia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad