Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Agree. I think he'd be great at RW for Eichel. Eichel needs wingers who are willing to do some of the dirty work. Asplund fits that description.

Agree.

Also agree, for the reason Aladyyn states below. Mittelstadt likes to have the puck. He's a bad fit with Eichel, because both players want the puck. Mittelstadt is basically perfect with Reinhart. Reinhart is great without the puck, is a willing passer, and has a great track record working with forwards who are fast and skilled.

Agree.

Future lines, assuming everyone develops and no major trades:

Girgensons - Eichel - Asplund
Fasching - Reinhart - Mittelstadt
Nylander - O'Reilly - Okposo
Davidsson - Larsson - Baptiste

That's ridiculous depth.

Mittelstadt is a left hand shot. Some guys can play their off wing well but most are better on their natural side. Fasching is a right winger.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Mittelstadt is a left hand shot. Some guys can play their off wing well but most are better on their natural side. Fasching is a right winger.

I think Mittelstadt on his off-wing would play similarly to Kane (gasp! the comparison again! :laugh:).

Fasching drifts to the left side when he plays. I think he'd be solid there.

Chicago played Hossa and Kane at RW, both LHS. Sharp played LW for a time, and he's right handed. I think it's more about chemistry, game, and compatibility than just handedness uniformity.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Precisely!

Feel free to remind me how wrong I was when we see Nylander - O'Reilly - Okposo on the third line for more than 3 games in a row.
If Davidsson and Middlestadt are both in the Sabre lineup, I assume it is 3-4 seasons from now. It is very reasonable Eichel has supplanted ROR as 1st line center at that point.

But, if you persist in disagreeing with a purely speculative scenario...

I thought we were over numbering lines.
...there is that as well.

Its completely realistic.

We all know Nylander, Baptiste, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Fasching, and Davidsson are locks for the NHL, and that Asplund and Girgs will be first liners, Fasching in the top 6.

Also that these players will conveniently be good enough to make the team and contribute on ELCs but not good enough to price themselves out of buffalo.
Players on ELCs, by definition, can't price themselves out of anywhere.

I'd take the bet every player you listed can fit alongisde the high dollar contracts of 15, 21, 23, 90 before I'd take the bet one will price himself out of BUF's cap.

Again it's speculation. Reasonable speculation.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think it's fun to pick lines too but none of us know. They'll try different things until it works and then when it stops working they'll switch them up.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This implies higher TOI at ES for Reinhart and Jack than a potential line of Nylander, ROR, Okposo. Not going to happen.

No, not really. The top 3 lines would be getting similar ice time, similar to the co-caps Sabres or last year's Leafs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

There have been instances where Mittelstadt has played on the RW. He's probably one of our most flexible prospects we have in the system much like Asplund.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
uhh Eichel and Middlestadt would be perfect linemates. They're both fast enough and smart enough to feed off of each other. Right now Eichel either has speed or smarts, but nobody with enough of both to keep up with him.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - September 2 -
Rasmus Asplund wearing an "A" today while centering the second line as Färjestad takes on Linz at the Vinschgau Cup.

Rasmus Asplund recorded one assist while centering the second line as Färjestad BK downed EHC Liwest Black Wings Linz 7-1 at the Vinschgau Cup, a three-team preseason tournament hosted by German club ERC Ingolstadt.

Rasmus Asplund made a nice play retrieving a missed shot in the corner and quickly slipping a pass through the legs of an oncoming checker for a secondary helper on Färjestad's fourth goal.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - September 3 -
Rasmus Asplund scores in the game's opening minute to put Färjestad up 1-0 on ERC Ingolstadt.

Rasmus Asplund continued his productive preseason Sunday by scoring the game's first goal as Färjestad BK captured the 2017 Vinschgau Cup with a 3-1 victory over hosting club ERC Ingolstadt.

Just 42 seconds into the action, Asplund used his speed to hit the slot and give FBK the early 1-0 advantage. The shift begins with Asplund winning the offensive-zone draw, and once the play transitions back into the Ingolstadt zone, ends with him flying into the frame to get body position, fend off a check, and bury the feed from the beneath the goal line. That's just a really nice play from a developing talent.

Entering his this fourth professional season, Rasmus Asplund is set to excel for FBK in the very important second-line center role. Through six exhibition tilts, the crafty 20-year-old has scored three goals and seven points. He notched career highs of six goals and 19 points a season ago. Färjestad continues the preseason schedule Friday against Örebro HK.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2017/09/93-recap-asplund-cashes-in-vinschgau.html

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Over a PPG in exhibition season. No reason he can't get near that this season. He's almost NHL ready, I don't expect him to do much time in Rochester.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Over a PPG in exhibition season. No reason he can't get near that this season. He's almost NHL ready, I don't expect him to do much time in Rochester.

The exhibition season is not the same as the SHL.
A majority of the teams Färjestad has faced this far has been of much lower standard.

I don't think Asplund will land a PPG in SHL. There are 54 games in this season and i think he will land at perhaps .60 when all is said and done. Sure he centers the secondline and plays PP#2 but the team have 4 new D and he got 2 diffrent wingers on his line from last season.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Yeah, I've liked what I've seen too, but PPG at the SHL in his D+1? That's an eNHL of like 60 points. Maybe he gets there, but a 19 year old 2nd round pick producing like a first liner would be amazing.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

We might have a real gem here. Not that that's really news as he's impressed throughout.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
When you start adding up the talent that isn't developed and here yet (Mittelstadt, Asplund, Nylander, Pu) the future top 9 starts looking filthy as hell.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Regular. He's a machine, probably better talent than Nylander at this point. Tied for 2nd with Guhle after Casey it seems. Hope he has a great season and is on the NHL roster next one!

By better talent I hope you mean more pro ready because one has played pro hockey for three years and the other was the youngest player in his first pro league on a team that was a tire fire.

But I know that's not what you mean as the development curve continues to elude you.

That's why Mittelstadt can dominate his age group at WJC tryouts and he's the second coming...but Nylander dominates his age group at the actual WJC and his stock falls for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad