Proposal: Rasmus Andersson to Leafs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I wish some fans would stop with the bad proposals. Leafs has nothing that they can realistically trade to pry Andersson from Calgary.

My fellow Wings fans can stop as well. Flames would expect nothing less than Edvinsson as a base to trade a top-pairing D signed to one of the best value contracts in the NHL.

Wasnt the same said about Robertson..

Yup and he scored at a higher rate than Cowan.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Top pairing RD on a great contract in his peak years with term is going to fetch a lot more than that.

That’s just how little knowledge most have on here. Cowan is leading the OHL with 1.77 ppg. I wouldn’t trade him straight up for Anderson. I think Cowan is another Marner but with more edge. So I ask who would trade Marner straight up for Anderson? Nobody
Every time I think a different fanbase has unseated Leafs fans as the kings of overrating their pieces, y'all storm in with a statement like this and reclaim your crown. It's a dynasty.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Top pairing RD on a great contract in his peak years with term is going to fetch a lot more than that.

Every time I think a different fanbase has unseated Leafs fans as the kings of overrating their pieces, y'all storm in with a statement like this and reclaim your crown. It's a dynasty.
The best part of that statement is him saying Cowan is another Marner with more edge. A Marner with edge would be the best winger we would have seen in the league since Ovechkin.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019

It’s not that I think Cowan is the next coming of Christ, it’s that I don’t feel that Andersson is worth what you all perceive. I would trade Cowan plus in a trade for Weegar or a signed Hanifin but not for Andersson.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It’s not that I think Cowan is the next coming of Christ, it’s that I don’t feel that Andersson is worth what you all perceive. I would trade Cowan plus in a trade for Weegar or a signed Hanifin but not for Andersson.
Ooof. You keep getting things so wrong it makes me wonder if you've ever even seen the player play. On one hand you say Cowan is Marner with more edge and on the other you'd trade him for a slightly worse defenseman signed into his late 30s at almost double the cap hit?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Retention wouldn't be needed. Leafs could easily fit him into the roster. I have a hard time believing they could get this done without Knies going to Calgary. I would have to think about that one for a long time imo.

I’m guessing you missed the WJCs? The guy probably protects to a 3rd liner. Comparing him to Marner is hilarious
Marner also had a pretty bad WJC. Making judgements of players in that tournament is pretty silly. Obviously he isn't close to Marner, but capping him as a 3rd line winger is silly as well.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

There's always going to be one person. I really doubt you would find another person backing up keeping Cowan over Andersson 1 for 1.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
With Hanifin likely gone, Andersson is a non-starter.

And all the proposals with just pure futures, hell no. We’re in a retool, not a rebuild. Give a quality player or two back if you want a top pairing #2. It has to hurt your team and/or prospect pool.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
With Hanifin likely gone, Andersson is a non-starter.

And all the proposals with just pure futures, hell no. We’re in a retool, not a rebuild. Give a quality player or two back if you want a top pairing #2. It has to hurt your team and/or prospect pool.
This is the problem. We should be in a rebuild. We don't have a core. This isn't Vancouver sitting there with elite pieces and crap surrounding them. We have good surrounding and a crap core. Needs some pain to truly fix. That or EXCELLENT drafting. No more Honzek dud picks.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Is Andersson really that good ? Genuine question, the response from Flames fans suggests he's like a legit #1B or #2A D man, is that the case ? I'm not too familiar with him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Is Andersson really that good ? Genuine question, the response from Flames fans suggests he's like a legit #1B or #2A D man, is that the case ? I'm not too familiar with him.
Top 10 RHD in the league. He's a 2 way all situations guy. Not an elite PP guy, but top pairing all day.

Reactions: AvroArrow

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is the problem. We should be in a rebuild. We don't have a core. This isn't Vancouver sitting there with elite pieces and crap surrounding them. We have good surrounding and a crap core. Needs some pain to truly fix. That or EXCELLENT drafting. No more Honzek dud picks.
Can’t judge the Honzek pick until another few years. As of right now, we trust the scouts who have a good track record of picking good players.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Can’t judge the Honzek pick until another few years. As of right now, we trust the scouts who have a good track record of picking good players.
We have a good record with area guys outside the 1st round. Our 1st round record isn't that good. The Honzek pick was a bad one. Especially considering at the time we had no C or D prospects. It can't happen again. No 3rd line wingers in the lottery.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The only way he is available is if the Flames go full scorched Earth and realize a 27 year old doesn't fit their plans, or he demands out. Either way, the ask is going to be a single high end prospect. A late 1st and garbage prospects don't make sense.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Oof. I've seen some bad takes on these boards. This might be the worst one ever. Even including Bern's 4 pagers.

Cowan is going to be better than Marner. You heard it here first.

Marner is a 10M winger making 10M signed for one more season.

Andersson is a 9M D making 4 M signed for 3 more seasons.

Baertschi scored at a 2.0 PPG pace in a league that is harder to score in at the same age. He was a generational winger too right?
Rasmus Andersson is a 6-7M D not 9M lol

Hes a low end 1D or high end 2D like Rielly just on the right side

1st + Cowan + young NHLer is his value

Leafs lack the young NHLer we would be willing to give up.

Knies the team doesnt want to toss in, and Robertson flames probably dont want due to size and similiar players in Coranato, and Pelletier

Andersson isnt getting a top 5 pick or a top 15 sure fire prospect back

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
We have a good record with area guys outside the 1st round. Our 1st round record isn't that good. The Honzek pick was a bad one. Especially considering at the time we had no C or D prospects. It can't happen again. No 3rd line wingers in the lottery.

Hard to say what you have with Honzek. He's been injured most of the D +1 year. He had a solid Juniors though.

The Flames haven't truly missed on a first round pick since Jankowski in 2012.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hard to say what you have with Honzek. He's been injured most of the D +1 year. He had a solid Juniors though.

The Flames haven't truly missed on a first round pick since Jankowski in 2012.
We've had very few first round picks compared to other teams. We hit on Tkachuk. There isn't another top 4 D or top 6 wing in that time period until Zary. Compare that to other teams.

Rasmus Andersson is a 6-7M D not 9M lol

Hes a low end 1D or high end 2D like Rielly just on the right side

1st + Cowan + young NHLer is his value

Leafs lack the young NHLer we would be willing to give up.

Knies the team doesnt want to toss in, and Robertson flames probably dont want due to size and similiar players in Coranato, and Pelletier

Andersson isnt getting a top 5 pick or a top 15 sure fire prospect back
Part of your post is better than your usual. Part of it is more like your usual. He's a top 10 RD in the league easily. Those player don't make 6 to 7. You're paying that for a good second pairing guy now. Top pairing guys start at 8 now. Andersson would be 9m easily as a ufa.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We've had very few first round picks compared to other teams. We hit on Tkachuk. There isn't another top 4 D or top 6 wing in that time period until Zary. Compare that to other teams.

Part of your post is better than your usual. Part of it is more like your usual. He's a top 10 RD in the league easily. Those player don't make 6 to 7. You're paying that for a good second pairing guy now. Top pairing guys start at 8 now. Andersson would be 9m easily as a ufa.
None of your post is different than usual

You overrate flame players despite the teams core having proven absolutely nothing.

Nylander got 11.5M might be worth it for 2 years than it will be gross

UFAs get overpaid all the time. Andersson value is ~7M for probably next 4-5 years. At 9M hes an overpayment.

No team will give up pieces that project to be better/more valuable than him.

Cowan (A- prospect ) + 1st not in top 15 + solid young NHLer (if holmberg was more consistent and established 3rd line guy hed be the piece) is what his value should be.

I dont see teams giving up an A/A+ prospect + top 10 pick

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
He's got the rest of this year and next but then he'll want the moon and bugger off. In the meantime he's got a M-NTC which reduces his value as a future trade chip. Over his career he has averaged 40 points/year, which isn't too bad but not worth opening the vault when Leafs need cheap young cost- controlled players to add to their overpriced stars. Find another dancing partner. Cowan will never be a Flame.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's got the rest of this year and next but then he'll want the moon and bugger off. In the meantime he's got a M-NTC which reduces his value as a future trade chip. Over his career he has averaged 40 points/year, which isn't too bad but not worth opening the vault when Leafs need cheap young cost- controlled players to add to their overpriced stars. Find another dancing partner. Cowan will never be a Flame.
Ugh, some Leafs fans are obnoxious. You start a thread. Get a bunch of details wrong (Andersson is signed for 3 more years) and then act like we want your B+ wing prospect for our top pairing defenseman.

Sabres fans offer:

Savoie
1st
Krebs
Jokiharju

Leafs fan:

You can't have our prospect who might be a middle six wing one day. You guys deserve the Lyubushkins of the world as your big acquisition.

Reactions: freester

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So if all top pairing D and even a bunch of middle pairing D are getting paid that is it overpaid or are you just out to lunch on the market? I mean you guys paid 4M for a bottom pairing guy just this summer.

I don't think your ranking of our D is out to lunch btw. I'd have all 3 players somewhere in the 20th-50th best D in the league. They are all top pairing guys, but none of them are elite. I just think you're out to lunch on what that strata of player will get paid. They were 6.5-7.5M D a couple of years ago in a flat cap. They aren't now.
All those teams fans are complaining about the deals

UFA is when players get overpaid. Those type of deals hurt your team over the life of the contract given.

To get 9M and be truly worth that you need to be a consistent top 10ishD in the league

Any team who allocates 9M to Andersson will need some sort of bargain/plus value contracts at other positions to make up for the overpayment to Andersson.

Teams need to be smarter with their decisions. Just because you have a good player doesnt mean you need to overpay to fix them onto the team.

For example, If the Flames lose Hanafin for nothing it sucks. But giving him 8.5M or 9M x 8 would suck for the 8 years as it screws the direction flames should be moving in.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
All those teams fans are complaining about the deals

UFA is when players get overpaid. Those type of deals hurt your team over the life of the contract given.

To get 9M and be truly worth that you need to be a consistent top 10ishD in the league

Any team who allocates 9M to Andersson will need some sort of bargain/plus value contracts at other positions to make up for the overpayment to Andersson.

Teams need to be smarter with their decisions. Just because you have a good player doesnt mean you need to overpay to fix them onto the team.

For example, If the Flames lose Hanafin for nothing it sucks. But giving him 8.5M or 9M x 8 would suck for the 8 years as it screws the direction flames should be moving in.
I'm happily give Hanifin 8M for 8 years to sign. You're living in a 75M cap man. Fantasyland. Nylander was an 8-9M player a couple of years ago too. Now he's a 10-11M player you had to pay 11.5 because of the Canada tax.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm happily give Hanifin 8M for 8 years to sign. You're living in a 75M cap man. Fantasyland. Nylander was an 8-9M player a couple of years ago too. Now he's a 10-11M player you had to pay 11.5 because of the Canada tax.
And the leafs will likely get burnt on that deal

Leafa paid up for Tavares as a UFA and it killed our cup contention window

Paying excess value for UFAs almost never works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad