Rask uncursed! The end is near! Bruins win 3-1

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
People can point fingers as much as they want but this lineup is not a 500 lineup.

Patch-AG-Ghetto(unproven AHL player)
Eller(3rd line player)-Plekanec-Byron(waived)
Fleich-DD-Weise (should be the 3rd line but realistically it's the 2nd)
Carr(unproven AHL player)-Flynn(we got him for a 5th round pick)-Thomas(AHLer)

Too much small players. Too much players playing the same style of hockey. Not enough skills. Not enough grit. Not enough physicality. We get bullied every nights and at some point it will show.

We have a good 3rd line, another 3rd line matched with a waived player and a 1st line matched with a guy looking like D'Agostini from my point of view.

That's weak. Add to that we have an inexperienced 2nd goalie in the net that is not doing very well lately.

We desperately need a RW and the sooner the better. MB needs to be a buyer and a real one not a "comptoir d'emmaüs" one like the last couple of years.

For now i think i'll stop watching the games. I've had enough with Flynn and Byron playing on the top lines. I just started to raid again with my old group so gonna play wow and watch the games from the corner of my eye.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Did you guys notice how Boston had 6 skaters on the ice??

:popcorn::naughty::sarcasm::laugh:

12304507_10207405765955059_2331272590970502535_o.jpg

lol that's not 6 players the one near the blue line is out of the play :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If changing lines for 2 freakin games is the reason why you suddenly drop in the standings.....you are not that good of a team to begin with. Come on people, 2 games. Talking about NHL'ers here.

Well you said it, it's 2 games. The points you miss out on are 4. So if you're dropping in the standings for losing 2 games, then you didn't have that much of a lead.

You change the lines, it can take a few games for them to get going. That's just normal.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
If changing lines for 2 freakin games is the reason why you suddenly drop in the standings.....you are not that good of a team to begin with. Come on people, 2 games. Talking about NHL'ers here.

Well you said it, it's 2 games. The points you miss out on are 4. So if you're dropping in the standings for losing 2 games, then you didn't have that much of a lead.

You change the lines, it can take a few games for them to get going. That's just normal.

With Gallagher out, I thought it was the perfect time to tinker a little. We have a nice cushion and we know wherever Gallagher is in the line up he will be fine. He's clearly seeing what we have in the AHL too. Personally, I would much rather have MT try things out now when MTL can afford the losses then in the playoffs or when it matters. He'll know what options he has later. Also, it's not like we're losing because we're being outplayed, as another poster has already brought up, that's two games lost to exceptional goaltending.

While I'm here, I'm also not ready to write him off on throwing Galchenyuk against Bergeron all night. Plekanec's line was driving our offense and DD's line seemed to be winning their match up as well. Flynn-Carr-Thomas was clearly the line that needed to be protected and didn't look to out of place either (outside of Thomas's penalty). I'm giving MT a pass on that one, at least until I see the lineup tonight. If he rolls the same lines as last night then I'll chalk it up to not wanting to ruin winning match-ups to correct a losing one.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
HFboards was right, Galchenyuk looked magnificent with Pacioretty. Long live our 1C.

Oh wait.

And people still find ways to critique MT after he's done everything he could in accordance with hfboards experts.

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal
HFboards was right, Galchenyuk looked magnificent with Pacioretty. Long live our 1C.

Oh wait.

And people still find ways to critique MT after he's done everything he could in accordance with hfboards experts.

its one game, give the kid some rope

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Forget about lines for a second and let's look at the forward group:

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Ghetto
Plekanec
Eller
Byron
Desharnais
Weise
Flash
Flynn
Thomas
Carr

Is it realistic to expect many goals?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Changing lines happens everytime for every team. Whether it's because coaches want to change things around. Whether it's because of injuries. Lines changes everytime. Yet, in Montreal, it happens for 2 games and boom...end of the world. We will never be the same team because of those 2 games. Sorry, it doesn't make sense. Keep bad lines for 10 games, yeah sure. 2 games? Even if you will say that it's those 4 points that made us miss the playoffs....I can TOTALLY show you maybe 10 to 20 points when the goalie made us miss the playoffs....or Emelin....or whatever. Depending of the point you have to make, there is always tons of points to find out that this player you hate, that coach you hate, or that line you hate was responsible of. Subban has how many goals this year? How many times did this guy miss the net? Can we say he,s also responsible for 2, 4, 6 points missing because of how bad he was at shooting? Etc.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
its one game, give the kid some rope

Says a board who wanted to crucify Therrien and DD for an experiment that lasted 2 games. Yep....let's be patient please. But that has to count for EVERYONE. Not just the ones we love.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Ghetto
Plekanec
Eller
Byron
Desharnais
Weise
Flash
Flynn
Thomas
Carr

bang on!!!! line juggle is not going to change the fact, this team has needs...
thus MB needs to fix this.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Ghetto
Plekanec
Eller
Byron
Desharnais
Weise
Flash
Flynn
Thomas
Carr

It's bad. The miracle was scoring goals not the lack of it. Clearly, the style of play employed by Therrien worked at some point. Sorry people, but this is not the talent of the lineup that is responsible for it. No matter how badly we think Eller is being used....I think we can come to the conclusion that no matter the usage, he will never be a good scorer. Eller is a more physical Jan Bulis. The guy that thought he could...and was not able to prove it. Galchenyuk might be coming. But he's not there. Pacioretty is fine when he feels like it. And the rest is promises or hope or progression or crap. Put the names beside the category that you want.

Just that the day you are not supported by your d-men and goalie, and that the system doesn't work, the talent alone won't save you. That's what makes great teams. You need everything 'cause when something doesn't work.....you have some plan B and C. I don't think we do.

Yet....one Gallagher and Price comes back. It changes things. Boston doesn't have great forwards either....but Rask is now playing so much better. Hence...they are winning anyway. But do people think Boston is cup material? Do they still have a window? Do we? Shouldn't it be our time? If so....you need to build a stronger team than that. Or you totally have to HOPE that some kids will start to shine more brillantly than they do. Again....let's hope Ghetto is not slowing down. You see him less and less nowadays.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Since when 4 years = 2 games ?

Since when THIS year = 4 years? People didn't want DD with Max this year. At the start of the year, they were not playing together...everybody was happy. Where was your 4 years then? But THIS year, they come back...EVERYBODY panic...and it lasted 2 games. That's the panic I'M referring to.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I didn't watch the game so I don't want to read too far into this, but looking at the box score would tell me Therrien once again probably made questionable line up decisions.

I mean Hudon not playing, when he's your best offensive prospect not in the NHL is a joke. Then I just looked at Eller, Weise and DD's minutes compared to Pacioretty and Galchenyuks and I laughed.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Habs are playing way too much on the perimeter again of late and taking shots from there which are easily handled by NHL goalies. For the most part they are outshooting and outplaying their opponents but no one seems like they want to pay the price and get in the goalies face and in prime scoring areas. With the type of perimeter shots the Habs have been taking lately NHL goalies will have mostly easy nights especially without anyone in his face.

I think the Habs are now 0 for 10 on the PP in their last 4 games and have scored only 9 goals in their last 5 games and are again resembling the Habs play of last season. Problem is there's no Price to bail them out right now and those 1-0 and 2-1 wins last year are now 2-1 and 3-2 losses without Price...

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I didn't watch the game so I don't want to read too far into this, but looking at the box score would tell me Therrien once again probably made questionable line up decisions.

I mean Hudon not playing, when he's your best offensive prospect not in the NHL is a joke. Then I just looked at Eller, Weise and DD's minutes compared to Pacioretty and Galchenyuks and I laughed.

sorry, but the line juggling is not going to make it that much better,

swen is swen, thomas is thomas,

can't turn a ahl player overnight to a top 6 guy, unless he is a mcdavid

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I'd say Eller was probably the Habs best forward last night. He was a beast on the forecheck and along the boards and played a good game. The Pleks-Eller-Byron line was by far the Habs best line last night IMO and deserved the ice time they got.

Bergeron completely shutdown the Galchenyuk-Pacioretty duo last night and MT with last change did nothing to even try to get these guys away from that match up during the game. It was like he said here you go kid go up against Bergeron all night and show me what you got.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Since when THIS year = 4 years? People didn't want DD with Max this year. At the start of the year, they were not playing together...everybody was happy. Where was your 4 years then? But THIS year, they come back...EVERYBODY panic...and it lasted 2 games. That's the panic I'M referring to.

Sorry buddy but you don't get to erase the past four years of DD. Did we really need another 2 games to tell us what we already knew? Habs don't have Price anymore to cover up for these failed experiments or we'd be seeing the next half of the season getting the DDRetty show 24/7.

Therrien's logic is simple. Team is winning but DD not producing? Change everything and give him best wingers! Team is losing but DD producing? Change everything except for DD.

I'm not panicking. I sleep just fine at night but you'll be looking back at these posts years later when we have nothing to show for our cup window wondering wtf happened.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Oh wait.

Nobody said to put him there with a rookie with 19 NHL games of experience either.

Having said that......most didn't want any kind of cahnge except some small tinkering. Poeple are saying that all those changes were necessary because of the lost of Gallagher.

Here's some numbers for us "HF expert":

Gallagher got injured in the 2nd period of the Islanders games on Nov. 22nd

In the following 11 periods of hockey, the Habs scored 13 goals.
Therrien start to make drastic changes to the line-up after the 1st period in Columbus
In the following 11 periods of hockey, the Habs scored scored 6 goals.

But of course, Therrien was right and did a good job there.
The logical choices was the following:

Pac-Plek-Weise
Eller-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
Fleischmann-DD-DSP
Byron - Flynn - Thomas or whatever

But Therrien has to make a drastic dumbass changes that KILL the Habs offensive.
We were already scoring a lot even without Gallagher.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
People can point fingers as much as they want but this lineup is not a 500 lineup.

Patch-AG-Ghetto(unproven AHL player)
Eller(3rd line player)-Plekanec-Byron(waived)
Fleich-DD-Weise (should be the 3rd line but realistically it's the 2nd)
Carr(unproven AHL player)-Flynn(we got him for a 5th round pick)-Thomas(AHLer)

Too much small players. Too much players playing the same style of hockey. Not enough skills. Not enough grit. Not enough physicality. We get bullied every nights and at some point it will show.

We have a good 3rd line, another 3rd line matched with a waived player and a 1st line matched with a guy looking like D'Agostini from my point of view.

That's weak. Add to that we have an inexperienced 2nd goalie in the net that is not doing very well lately.

We desperately need a RW and the sooner the better. MB needs to be a buyer and a real one not a "comptoir d'emmaüs" one like the last couple of years.

For now i think i'll stop watching the games. I've had enough with Flynn and Byron playing on the top lines. I just started to raid again with my old group so gonna play wow and watch the games from the corner of my eye.

Good post, pretty much the reality. Having DSP, Mitchell & Gally out means we now have 4th liners and AHLers scattered through all the top 9, and the 4th line now is pretty weak when it was a major strength at the start of the season. The Habs rely on depth scoring, and the depth is now shredded by injuries.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

We all have PTSD.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Good post, pretty much the reality. Having DSP, Mitchell & Gally out means we now have 4th liners and AHLers scattered through all the top 9, and the 4th line now is pretty weak when it was a major strength at the start of the season. The Habs rely on depth scoring, and the depth is now shredded by injuries.

We all have PTSD.

Not me I have pills for that. :laugh:

apologies Burke my iPad had been pulling double posts lately and i have zero control.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Sorry buddy but you don't get to erase the past four years of DD. Did we really need another 2 games to tell us what we already knew? Habs don't have Price anymore to cover up for these failed experiments or we'd be seeing the next half of the season getting the DDRetty show 24/7.

Therrien's logic is simple. Team is winning but DD not producing? Change everything and give him best wingers! Team is losing but DD producing? Change everything except for DD.

I'm not panicking. I sleep just fine at night but you'll be looking back at these posts years later when we have nothing to show for our cup window wondering wtf happened.

Sorry buddy, but everybody HAD erased the past years because they were so happy he wasn't with Max anymore. Yeah, some said "Wait till they are back again together..." but not that many people. So why was it normal to erase it at the start....but normal to panic based on the past years when they came back together?

And again, the whole "Let DD produce but let my team lose" isn't working. Unless you come up with "Therrien is dumber than Jean Perron" in the same sentence. It's probably Therrien,s last stint as a coach. He is NOT preferring to see DD produce over wins that will make him keep his lucrative job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad