Rask uncursed! The end is near! Bruins win 3-1

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Well, I haven't complained about MT for one bit since the beginning of the season, but there's a difference between a good smart coach and a coach that continuously use Weise on the PP. MT is the latter.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gallagher and Price are injured. He's not getting fired.

--

Did people really believe Dale Weise could score 30 goals this year? A third liner? I mean, he got off to a hot start, but in today's NHL a third liner isn't going to score 30 goals.

At least people can stop worrying about Weise having unrealistic contract expectations this summer, though.

Actually, Weise was on pace for 40 goals, DD for 82pts, and Flash for 65pts. That's when they started hot playing on the 3rd line. Obviously this was unsustainable.
As you said, you're not scoring 30 goals from the 3rd line, let alone 40 goals, 82pts and 65pts.

What I don't understand was the need to change the lines. Patches and Plek were ppg players without Gallagher. Not only were they producing at the same pace without him, but did it versus toughest opponents. That meant, DD's and Galchenyuk's lines were facing weaker oppositions and exploiting them.
It was working well for us going 3-0-1 since losing Gallagher.
For some reason, Therrien decided to crap on that.

Galchenyuk who was just starting to get comfortable in his role and improving, got moved up to center Pacioretty and face tougher opposition. Not just him though, we also decided to put a rookie up with 19 games of NHL experience over 2 years with them. Not so surprisingly, they didn't look great.
Plekanec's line looked the best, Eller was battling and controlling the play a lot, but let's face it, that line looked more like a 3rd line than anything else. Plekanec needs a goal scorer on his line. Every time he looked good in his career, he had one or two goal scorers on his wings, AKost-AK-Cammalleri-Gionta. So Byron and Eller are not going to cut it.
DD's line continued to play as a 3rd line, they had a few decent offensive shifts, but also had terrible defensive ones. Weise seemed to have lost a lot of his swagger.
The 4th line really isn't comparable to the one that started the season. Mitchell-DSP both out, that line just isn't the same.

Defensively, Pateryn should be a regular. Emelin should be traded.

I'm not saying line changes would fix everything but changing the lines as Therrien did was completely unnecessary and unhelpful.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If changing lines for 2 freakin games is the reason why you suddenly drop in the standings.....you are not that good of a team to begin with. Come on people, 2 games. Talking about NHL'ers here.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah I don't get it either. We need to keep AG moving in the right direction. This should have been done by simply increasing his TOI and exposing him to stiffer competition using the line he was having success with.
MT however gives him Pac announces to the whole world he's up against it and sets him up for failure.
The Kid now has sun stroke.

headflop

Jan 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Did you guys notice how Boston had 6 skaters on the ice??

:popcorn::naughty::sarcasm::laugh:

12304507_10207405765955059_2331272590970502535_o.jpg

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
A loss against Boston hurts more than losing to any other team in the league. Hanging on to a 1 goal lead and not for lack of chances but for lack of finish on all of the chances we had makes it hurt even more. We need some help and it would be McCarron for me.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I'm hoping we will see Tokarski tonight. We don't necessarily need a Pricesk performance but we need more than what Condon has been providing the last several games. No knock on Condon - he's been put in a pretty tough spot.
Not really worried about the slump - it was bound to happen at some point particularly with the injuries they've had. They've been getting lots of chances that aren't going in and need to show some character and grind it out and not get down on themselves. They are doing a lot of things well even during the slump.
As for the lines, IMO this was not a bad time to run through some different possibilities to see what works and what doesn't and which of the young guys can step in to bigger roles. As many here have said, the goal isn't to win the Presidents Cup, it's to build a team for the playoffs. Experimenting with different line combinations - and sometimes failing - is part of that. Thankfully, we had a ridiculously good - and unsustainable - start that gave us some breathing room.
Too early to get down on the team - Go Habs.

Nynja*

There could have easily been 3 too many men calls against Boston that game...refs call none. Yet we got tagged for one earlier this year that was called incredibly super tight, like half an inch over the 5 foot threshold.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
There could have easily been 3 too many men calls against Boston that game...refs call none. Yet we got tagged for one earlier this year that was called incredibly super tight, like half an inch over the 5 foot threshold.

Yup I remember specifically that one play where Subban chipped it off the boards and it hit one of two Bruins going off for a change :laugh:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Can't buy a goal.

In fairness they have faced some excellent goaltending in 2 of the 3 games.

Carolina they played poorly. Boston and Washington games with average goaltending on both sides we win both by 2 goals.

What hurts is when the opposing goalie makes highlight reel saves(like Rask on Plekanec on the cross ice feed) then Condon fails to make the big save.

Well, I haven't complained about MT for one bit since the beginning of the season, but there's a difference between a good smart coach and a coach that continuously use Weise on the PP. MT is the latter.

Weise has 4 points in 45 minutes of PP time and has done a good job in puck retrieval and screening the goalie, not sure how that's a bad thing?

If you have 5 perimeter skill guys on your PP you won't have a very good PP.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah I don't get it either. We need to keep AG moving in the right direction. This should have been done by simply increasing his TOI and exposing him to stiffer competition using the line he was having success with.
MT however gives him Pac announces to the whole world he's up against it and sets him up for failure.
The Kid now has sun stroke.

They probably wanted to challenge him a bit and see how he would respond. Nothing wrong with that.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
We played good (not great). While I'm not happy with the end result, I'm satisfied with the effort and the performance.

On individual front, I don't like Subban in the last few games. Oh God, he just has 1 goal so far. One !!!

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Thomas, and Swen are not the answer to be top 6 players. sorry.... (i know thomas did not play on the top 6 but...)

MB needs to find that player, i don't want a big losing streak, and then have to fight to get home ice again, and it seems it might happen...hope not

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Pacioretty, Plekanec and Subban simply haven't been good enough. With Gallagher and Price gone, the other 3 best players of this team have to step up, not disappear.

100% agree. I would also add Markov to the list even though his best days are behind him.

This is the problem when your best player is your goalie...a tight conservative game will keep you in games but we severely lack any dynamic players or difference-makers to score in clutch situations.

Last year we won so many games like the Bruins did last night...great goaltending and timely scoring...they gave us a good dose of our own medicine.

And of those 3 guys you mentioned - I don't even think Pacioretty and Plekanec have it in them to rally the troops.

Our team is Price, Subban, and Gallagher. And we're average at best without 2 of these 3.

VinceHabs

Aug 2, 2015
Montréal
I was at the game

and I know what caused our demise.

The Olé olé being sang with 18 minutes (and again with 14 minutes) remaining in the third with a 1-0 lead. That's just asking for it...

It was my first time being at a habs-bruins game and I was in the molson ex zone and I'm really surprised at the lack of energy in the crowd. Maybe it's because it was on a weekday, but I was really looking forward to a crazy crowd, but it was super calm.

Eyetest: Pacioretty and Subban were horrible and have been for several games now. Patch has no intensity and seems really lazy. When was the last time he carried the puck in the o-zone and snapped one in? The last one I remember was against Bernier in the first game. Subban can't seem to find open shooting lanes and is so predictable. No one seems to block the opposing goalies view (Miss you Gally). A lot of shots were just gloved out of mid air by Rask without any problem.

Hopefully Hudon and Tinordi get a game in order to shake things up while we wait for the injured to heal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad