Confirmed with Link: Raphael Diaz signs 1-yr $700K contract with Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=733277

Nicola Berger ‏@BergerNeueLZ 19m19 minutes ago
@diaz_raphael_61 confirms one-year-deal with @NHLFlames.

NHL EXPERT PICKS ‏@NHLexpertpicks 1m1 minute ago
#Flames sign Raphael Diaz to a 1 year, $700K deal.

Power of the Puck ‏@PowerofthePuck 1m1 minute ago
The #Flames have signed defenseman Raphael Diaz to a one-year contract worth $700K.

Will update to confirmed with link when appropriate.

EDIT:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 2m2 minutes ago
Raphael Diaz s'entend avec les Flames. 1 an / 700 000$ #tvasports

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 10m10 minutes ago
CAL is working on closing a one-year deal with Raphael Diaz.

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 11s11 seconds ago
Sounds like 1 year, $700,000 for Diaz. Sensible, flexible deal for a 6-7 depth guy.

Can't be far away now.

Last edited:

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
This is the type of signing champions are made from.

Actually really like Diaz, hoping for a good year!

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Glad to hear it. Diaz has been great in his PTO with the Flames.

Friedman was saying on the Fan 960 that this signing was only put on hold 'cause the Flames were in on Leddy.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
One of, if not the softest D in the game, but a decent puck mover. Good signing for you guys.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
At 1 yr, 700k whats not to like. Showed some decent offensive skills in preseason if I recall correctly. If it doesn't work out no big deal.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
He likes to shoot the puck on the PP and that's something any team really can use from the backend. I like the signing as a 7th D man

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One of, if not the softest D in the game, but a decent puck mover. Good signing for you guys.

I disagree. He's not a bruiser, but he has a heavy shot and was among a league leader in blocked shots, I don't classify that as soft hockey. Now that trades have been made and the waiver wire smoke has cleared, no surprise at the timing of this signing.

Welcome aboard Diaz, happy you're here!

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
So basically this tells us Burliving doesn't think we have any decent D-Men prospects from within that we can call up in case of injury.

So Wotherspoon is another year away.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So basically this tells us Burliving doesn't think we have any decent D-Men prospects from within that we can call up in case of injury.

It's more that they don't think it's worth shifting Wotherspoon up and down, and would rather he focus on his season in Adirondack. But also it's not like d-men only get injured one at a time.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Meh, those guys would be #6/#7 guys right now anyways.

It's better to have those D prospects playing important minutes in the AHL rather than watching NHL games from the pressbox.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
vone vmillion vdollars?

giphy.gif

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I disagree. He's not a bruiser, but he has a heavy shot and was among a league leader in blocked shots, I don't classify that as soft hockey. Now that trades have been made and the waiver wire smoke has cleared, no surprise at the timing of this signing.

Welcome aboard Diaz, happy you're here!

If used within his limits he can be serviceable, but he'll have a hard time dealing with regular play. For every shot he blocks, there's a play in which he avoids physical contact and results in more possesion for the opponent. So his shot blocking is somewhat the result of him playing in his own end for most of his shifts. But he's a good depth D, and there's nothing to be worried about with this kind of deal. Just keep your expectations in check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad