Ranking the Jets' Defencemen

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I do think Trouba's skating is not as good as it could be and I feel he uses too short of a stick. I did see some things late in the season that were very promising for Trouba though. His game seemed to really start clicking to me. And something that I really liked was how he was able to deflect shots away or out of play while one on one. Something Enstrom has perfected.

As for Myers' offensive instincts. They kinda suck honestly. How many times does he have to rush up the ice before he actually generates a chance? I have no problem with him taking it up the ice but his decision making is sub par compared to his talent level. And I don't wanna even get started on his defensive game. :help: :laugh:

They were selling used player sticks at Jets games near the end of the season and Trouba's were the longest on the rack. I think he uses the max allowable length.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I do think Trouba's skating is not as good as it could be and I feel he uses too short of a stick. I did see some things late in the season that were very promising for Trouba though. His game seemed to really start clicking to me. And something that I really liked was how he was able to deflect shots away or out of play while one on one. Something Enstrom has perfected.

As for Myers' offensive instincts. They kinda suck honestly. How many times does he have to rush up the ice before he actually generates a chance? I have no problem with him taking it up the ice but his decision making is sub par compared to his talent level. And I don't wanna even get started on his defensive game. :help: :laugh:

I also love that when Myers is talked about, some people here and in the media keep saying "He is still young and has can reach the next level with his potential". Do people realize Myers is 26 years old? At this point he is what he is. Maybe it's due to Trouba seeming like he's been around forever and Myers just joining the team last year but it seems like there some cognitive dissonance going on wrt to Trouba and Myers' age and potential

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
1. Dustin Byfuglien
2. Toby Enstrom
3. Jacob Trouba
4. Tyler Myers
5. Josh Morrissey
6. Mark Stuart
7. Ben Chiarot
8. Paul Postma
9. Julian Melchiori
10 Brenden Kichton

Jets defensive problems begin with usage. Maurice spent a year with this team employing left & right shooting defensmen on their natural side in both game & practice situations. It wasn't until injuries forced his hand that Trouba was provided an opportunity to play his off side, more minutes & most importantly away from Mark Stuart.

This is the second time where necessity forced Maurice's hand. Enstrom's injury last season resulted in Perrault taking a point position on the power play, where he has remained ever since. Shouldn't coaches be able to see potential & exploit it rather than waiting for their hand to be forced? The Jets are well aware they are weak on LD. Trouba should have been shifted over the moment Byfuglien returned to playing defense last season.

The Jets problems continue due to penalties during the first half of the season when 5 Jets' defensemen found themselves in the leagues top 10 in minor penalties, penalty minutes & penalty minutes per game. In their last 11 games the defense only took 9 penalties, far down from what had been their norm. With this improvement, they won 6 games, had 3 over time losses & the remaining 2 games losing by a single goal.

This core can be much better than the results last season. Melchiori's games translated to the NHL much better than expected. It will grow stronger once Morrissey is deemed ready & could improve substantially should the Hamonic deal occur without being fleeced by Snow.

You've identified many of the problems that I directly attribute to PMo. Keeps talking about putting Trouba on the left side, but how much has he really employed that (vs how often he's stuck him with our worst defender). If its a ploy to decrease Trouba's worth, its worked well however. Then you have Stu playing regularly & Postma sitting regularly.

And the PP & PK - wow. You mentioned what it took to get Perrault in there. He's adverse to experimentation to a fault -- as you say stuff REALLY needs to be forced on him before he'll make the necessary changes. Think of how long he stuck Ehlers with Thorbs, etc. How long he's had useless STUUUU on the PK - when there was guys like Copp, etc that shoulda/coulda been looked at. Etc, etc, etc -- the list is a mile long.

Yes, most coaches are strange animals, especially those enamored with vets -- see for instance the controversy around Hitch & his strange usage of his skill guys. But PMo, for all his sensible talk, is a mighty stubborn/un-sensible coach.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
They were selling used player sticks at Jets games near the end of the season and Trouba's were the longest on the rack. I think he uses the max allowable length.

That can't be right. Buff and Myers(I believe Myers actually got special exemptionfrom the league to use longer then allowed) use longer sticks. And I believe Enstron uses the max allowable. We'll have to check on that.

I also love that when Myers is talked about, some people here and in the media keep saying "He is still young and has can reach the next level with his potential". Do people realize Myers is 26 years old? At this point he is what he is. Maybe it's due to Trouba seeming like he's been around forever and Myers just joining the team last year but it seems like there some cognitive dissonance going on wrt to Trouba and Myers' age and potential

I do think players can get better with age. Buff, Little, and Wheeler have all peaked in late 20s. I think Myers get a bit better but I think it'll take a bit more time. There's a lot he can learn.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I do think players can get better with age. Buff, Little, and Wheeler have all peaked in late 20s. I think Myers get a bit better but I think it'll take a bit more time. There's a lot he can learn.

Absolutely agree with this. When i look at the way Myers can skate the puck out and carry the rush with the long strides, he reminds me a bit of Jay Bowmeester, who started with a lot of promise, hit some ruts, and is now as steady as they come.

I think he needs a better d partner. Enstrom is good with the puck but not overly strong without it.
We have never established a reliable LHD shutdown man. We had Johnny Oduya, but our coaching system and lack of good skating forwards at the time, never let him excel, as he has since leaving.

For me the rankings are

1. BUFF
2. Myers
3. Trouba (he could easily be 2nd, finished strong)
4. Enstrom
5. Chiarot (underrated as he skates better than Toby and wins his fair share of battles
6. Morrissey
7. Postma
8. Stuart
9. Melchiori
-------------------------
10. Kichton
11. Kostalek
12. Nogier

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

It is a bit strange. Myers is definitely more flashy than Trouba, but given a choice between the two I'd take Trouba on my d-corp every day, and twice on Tuesdays.

Myers is a good 2nd pairing d-man. Nothing wrong with that, but Trouba is flat out better and younger to boot.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
1. Buff
2. Trouba
3. Enstrom
4. Myers
5. Morrissey (potential)
6. Chiarot/Postma (dead heat)

8-12 Most of the rest

13. Stu