Guess I'm not too surprised, but I think we're better than OTT
31) Detroit Red Wings

"Danny DeKeyser-Filip Hronek
Patrik Nemeth-Mike Green
Dennis Cholowski-Trevor Daley
Jonathan Ericsson-Madison Bowey
Joe Hicketts-Oliwer Kaski
Moritz Seider/Vili Saarijarvi/Gustav Lindstrom/Brian Lashoff/Dylan McIlrath"

"ANALYSIS: The Red Wings have stocked the cupboard with promising young defenders, with Hronek and Cholowski leading the current NHL charge. Seider has enormous upside and Kaski could be a sleeper to have an impact this season. Bowey and Hicketts are going to be in the mix too. Detroit is rebuilding under Steve Yzerman, so it wouldn’t be shocking to see Green, Daley and Ericsson traded at some point this season. DeKeyser and Nemeth wouldn’t be top-four defenders on most contenders, so that speaks to where the Red Wings are today."

1) San Jose Sharks
2) Tampa Bay Lightning...should be #1
3) Carolina Hurricanes...deep, but too high, below NSH & STL imo
4) St. Louis Blues
5) Nashville Predators
6) Calgary Flames
7) Toronto Maple Leafs
8) Boston Bruins
9) Buffalo Sabres...too high
10) Philadelphia Flyers
11) Columbus Blue Jackets
12) Florida Panthers
13) Dallas Stars...too high
14) Chicago Blackhawks...Maatta & DeHann added, but still too high
15) Washington Capitals
16) Minnesota Wild...too low
17) New Jersey Devils
18) Arizona Coyotes
19) Vancouver Canucks...way too high
20) New York Islanders...best Defensive team ranked too low.
21) Montreal Canadiens
22) Pittsburgh Penguins
23) New York Rangers
24) Anaheim Ducks...too low
25) Colorado Avalanche
26) Winnipeg Jets...ouch, freefall
27) Los Angeles Kings
28) Edmonton Oilers
29) Vegas Golden Knights...agree, always thought their D was over-rated.
30) Ottawa Senators
31) Detroit Red Wings

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
https://thehockeywriters.com/ranking-nhl-teams-by-defencemen/

Guess I'm not too surprised, but I think we're better than OTT
31) Detroit Red Wings

"Danny DeKeyser-Filip Hronek
Patrik Nemeth-Mike Green
Dennis Cholowski-Trevor Daley
Jonathan Ericsson-Madison Bowey
Joe Hicketts-Oliwer Kaski
Moritz Seider/Vili Saarijarvi/Gustav Lindstrom/Brian Lashoff/Dylan McIlrath"

"ANALYSIS: The Red Wings have stocked the cupboard with promising young defenders, with Hronek and Cholowski leading the current NHL charge. Seider has enormous upside and Kaski could be a sleeper to have an impact this season. Bowey and Hicketts are going to be in the mix too. Detroit is rebuilding under Steve Yzerman, so it wouldn’t be shocking to see Green, Daley and Ericsson traded at some point this season. DeKeyser and Nemeth wouldn’t be top-four defenders on most contenders, so that speaks to where the Red Wings are today."

1) San Jose Sharks
2) Tampa Bay Lightning
3) Carolina Hurricanes
4) St. Louis Blues
5) Nashville Predators
6) Calgary Flames
7) Toronto Maple Leafs
8) Boston Bruins
9) Buffalo Sabres
10) Philadelphia Flyers
11) Columbus Blue Jackets
12) Florida Panthers
13) Dallas Stars
14) Chicago Blackhawks
15) Washington Capitals
16) Minnesota Wild
17) New Jersey Devils
18) Arizona Coyotes
19) Vancouver Canucks
20) New York Islanders
21) Montreal Canadiens
22) Pittsburgh Penguins
23) New York Rangers
24) Anaheim Ducks
25) Colorado Avalanche
26) Winnipeg Jets
27) Los Angeles Kings
28) Edmonton Oilers
29) Vegas Golden Knights
30) Ottawa Senators
31) Detroit Red Wings

As of today Detroit isn't better. I think the prospects are better though, but who knows where they will land.

Reactions: lilidk

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, it's been obvious for a really long time that our defense is putrid. That's part of why Yzerman is here and he's got a lot of work ahead of him. I feel really good that this will finally be addressed in a big way.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
A healthy Green with Hronek will immensely help our back end. Those two should be good for 40+ points each. And who knows, maybe Kaski absolutely lights up the league and we have some high point producing D-Men that possess excellent puck movement. But yes, the rest is garbage that even garbage wouldn't touch.

Is Cholo starting in DRW or GRG?

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Why do you think Detroit has a better defense than Ottawa?

Yes Chabot had a breakout year. Do I honestly think he is a 50-60 point a year defenseman, no. Thinking he'll drop down to 40s.

Both Hronek/Green can produce at that level. Even with Chabot continues scoring in 50-60 point range, that is just one player and Hronek/Green won't be far behind. Likewise Zaitsev can product offensively when given free reign. Consider him a massive defensive liability (more so than Green) when he is playing his own style. When comparing the two sets, I'd put Hronek/Green over Chabot/Zaitsev.

Hainsey is a defensive-defenceman. I'd put Nemeth over him. Defensively he is better than DK, but with DK's skating and passing would peg DK slightly above Hainsey overall.

Demelo is nothing to get excited about (granted didn't see much of him play).

Would rate Bowey considerably below Demelo and he can fill in a 6th/7th role. Would definitely peg him over Jaros and Borowiecki but that isn't setting the bar very high.

Jaros is a 6th/7th D-man at best. Big body, slow, and still lacks strength at NHL level.
Borowiecki is barely above Jaros and is there mostly to provide physicality.
Lajoi I view nothing more than a depth defenseman.

The wildcard is really how much of an impact will Brannstrom bring. If Cholo actually cracks the roster would expect him to contribute on a comparable level (at least this year).

I don't consider Daley/Ericsson to be NHL level players at this point in their careers.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Is Cholo starting in DRW or GRG?
Unless there are injuries, I expect Horwovski to start in GR.

Hronek
Green
Nemeth
DK
Bowey
Daley
Ericsson

He is still waiver exempt (unlike Bowey) and I don't see Blashill wanting him over precious veterans who can do no wrong (Daley/Ericsson).

Hell, given Hicketts is no longer waiver exempt would give him a higher chance of making the squad out of camp. Not because he is better but to give him 1 last shot before potentially losing him on waivers.

Would also depend if Wings go 14F/7D or 13F/8D.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Cholowski is going to take some time imo. I think he's being rushed strictly because he was a first round pick. He's shown good things, he just needs more reps in pro hockey (notably AHL).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yes Chabot had a breakout year. Do I honestly think he is a 50-60 point a year defenseman, no. Thinking he'll drop down to 40s.

Both Hronek/Green can produce at that level. Even with Chabot continues scoring in 50-60 point range, that is just one player and Hronek/Green won't be far behind. Likewise Zaitsev can product offensively when given free reign. Consider him a massive defensive liability (more so than Green) when he is playing his own style. When comparing the two sets, I'd put Hronek/Green over Chabot/Zaitsev.

Hainsey is a defensive-defenceman. I'd put Nemeth over him. Defensively he is better than DK, but with DK's skating and passing would peg DK slightly above Hainsey overall.

Demelo is nothing to get excited about (granted didn't see much of him play).

Would rate Bowey considerably below Demelo and he can fill in a 6th/7th role. Would definitely peg him over Jaros and Borowiecki but that isn't setting the bar very high.

Jaros is a 6th/7th D-man at best. Big body, slow, and still lacks strength at NHL level.
Borowiecki is barely above Jaros and is there mostly to provide physicality.
Lajoi I view nothing more than a depth defenseman.

The wildcard is really how much of an impact will Brannstrom bring. If Cholo actually cracks the roster would expect him to contribute on a comparable level (at least this year).

I don't consider Daley/Ericsson to be NHL level players at this point in their careers.

What makes you think Chabot will only be a 40 point defenseman?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

Hronek
Green
Nemeth
DK
Bowey
Daley
Ericsson

He is still waiver exempt (unlike Bowey) and I don't see Blashill wanting him over precious veterans who can do no wrong (Daley/Ericsson).

Hell, given Hicketts is no longer waiver exempt would give him a higher chance of making the squad out of camp. Not because he is better but to give him 1 last shot before potentially losing him on waivers.

Agree with most but Chabot is very good with a lot of potential, he's just pretty raw right now. A lot of isolated on-ice impact charts like HockeyViz and RAPM show he's just not all there yet defensively, particularly struggling with breaking up rush attempts and preventing zone entries and puck movement. Worse than Hronek, for example.

I think with pure offensive skill and raw talent he'd probably be our best defenseman, I think we have a reasonable bit more depth and skill than Ottawa's defense as a whole to make up for it. (Hronek, Green, Dekeyser)

Reactions: Mlotek

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
What makes you think Chabot will only be a 40 point defenseman?

I think the loss of Dzingle, Duchene, and Stone is negatively going to impact his offensive production this upcoming season.

50+ points for a D-man is quite rare these days. Even more rare to consistently hit that mark.

That is why I think his offensive production might drop this upcoming season. 40+ is nothing to scoff at, that is still a high offensive output for a defenceman.

What is impressive is just how much of his offense came from even strength.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think the loss of Dzingle, Duchene, and Stone is negatively going to impact his offensive production this upcoming season.

50+ points for a D-man is quite rare these days. Even more rare to consistently hit that mark.

That is why I think his offensive production might drop this upcoming season. 40+ is nothing to scoff at, that is still a high offensive output for a defenceman.

What is impressive is just how much of his offense came from even strength.
^^Exactly my thoughts. Plus OTT will have less PP opps without them. They're basically a 1-line team+Chabot. (we're a 1/2 step above them)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Hronek
Green
Nemeth
DK
Bowey
Daley
Ericsson

A defenseman who can't make the team with the league's worst defense isn't going to get claimed on waivers. Hicketts will wind up in GR.

Stevie Y isn't committed to Holland's mistakes so Blash will get to pick the Dmen which give the team the best chance at winning games. You're probably right that it will be the vets, but you never know.

Reactions: lilidk

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
A defenseman who can't make the team with the league's worst defense isn't going to get claimed on waivers. Hicketts will wind up in GR.

Yea, I would agree that Hicketts won't move the needle for a team looking to add a dman when guys hit the waiver wire in late September and early October. Most probably have their own Hicketts or two anyway.

I think the only way Hicketts makes the team is if ALL of the vet dmen miraculously end camp and pre-season healthy and they want someone around as an insurance #8D that won't play a whole lot since those vet D aren't likely to stay that healthy. What also might help him in that scenario is if Yzerman decides he wants Seider in GR and they need to make room.

I would rather have McIlrath in that spare role, but with so many promising young guys going to GR, I could see them wanting him there to keep the flies off.

Otherwise, I predict Yzerman either brings in another dman like he talked about after the Nemeth signing, or more realistically, one or more of Daley/Ericsson/Green/DeKeyser start the year hurt and a young D (probably Cholowski) makes the opening roster and makes the case to stay up all season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Stevie Y isn't committed to Holland's mistakes so Blash will get to pick the Dmen which give the team the best chance at winning games. You're probably right that it will be the vets, but you never know.

How many prospects on D should realistically be given large IT coming out of camp this year, though? Hronek, but he's likely got a spot anyway. I think it'll be a good season to give a guy like Bowey a long look, Kaski if he shows anything in camp. Then move some guys out half way or so through the season to open up some space if someone is earning the call up from GR.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I'm really not worried about the ranking the same is that we got our defenseman picks going later then the forward picks. I don't think we are worse then Ottawa outside Chabot but it really doesn't matter

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How many prospects on D should realistically be given large IT coming out of camp this year, though? Hronek, but he's likely got a spot anyway. I think it'll be a good season to give a guy like Bowey a long look, Kaski if he shows anything in camp. Then move some guys out half way or so through the season to open up some space if someone is earning the call up from GR.
If you want my opinion, I think all of the kids aside from Hronek should start the season in GR and get their chance when the vets are traded or get injured. There's really no rush since the team isn't a contender, but they all need some NHL time since BigE, Daley, and Green will be gone next year.

Bowey should start the season as 6D. If he can't hack it then he can eventually be replaced by Seider or Kaski. I seriously think he should be converted to wing if that happens. The team doesn't have any right handed wingers, Bowey cycles the puck well and has a decent shot.

But I think Stevie and Blash are going to try to win as many games as possible, and the roster and ice time will reflect that. If any of the kids are ready, they could be getting some ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad