Management Jim Montgomery

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
I'm just thinking right now....how the f*** do you not at the very least hit the ice and practice winning some draws???
And practice hitting the net.

His teams play soft. Mediocre coach who very fortunate to coach Sidney Crosby.
I absolutely hated him, especially after the choke job vs Montreal in 2004. However, I'm sure he's improved since then (back to back Stanley Cups).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't even think he's done that right. Claude's system was built on discipline, and Monty encourages risk-taking. He's weakened the bedrock of the system.

The B's penchant for stupid, turnover-prone hockey shows me the Coach hasn't done a very good job of teaching how to walk the line of "disciplined risk-taking".

Cassidy opened it up more as well. Not as much as Monty did but I also think that was a bit of natural evolution of the game. It's just gotten faster and more chaotic, there are just a lot more turnovers now and it's harder to lock down the neutral zone they way Julien's teams did.

But you are right in that this team doesn't display the discipline it did under Claude.

And practice hitting the net.

I absolutely hated him, especially after the choke job vs Montreal in 2004. However, I'm sure he's improved by then (back to back Stanley Cups).

Wasn't ready in 2004. No doubt much improved. I just don't like how his Pittsburgh teams play. They peel off and get back defensively but they don't finish their hits and make opposing players pay the price.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Monty's system went to **** when he lost the defense stalwart Bergeron and Krejci.

Zacha has been taking defensive zone FO's.... his FO percent is 10% this series. 10%!!!!!!
and hes trusting him in our own zone to win a draw. Thats on Monty.

He should move Zacha to wing. the guy is abysmal at center.

the two czech players ( pasta and zacha) are two of the worst players on the ice for us in this series.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I guess we'll have to see how the aftermath goes but I remember last year when he took absolutely zero responsibility in his end-of-year interviews and press conferences, all his answers being "I don't know" or "Ask Goalie Bob". That was a major red flag to me.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I see a guy who rolls them out during the season and panics in the playoffs and makes terrible line matching and d decisions all the time. Other than his needless line changes....he makes no changes. Good riddance.
That's why I'm looking at tomorrow night as good either way

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I see a guy who rolls them out during the season and panics in the playoffs and makes terrible line matching and d decisions all the time. Other than his needless line changes....he makes no changes. Good riddance.
Some coaches are afraid to make line changes so that they do not offend a player dropping him up or down in the lineup, Monty changes constantly even during the game in some instances in the middle of a shift, and I am not against making changes but at some point you need some continuity and familiarity.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
it's not on montgomery.
remember coyle, & zacka # 1 & #2 centres - zero goals.
lack of footspeed on forward group caught up to them.
maroon, brazeau, jvr , can't forcheck or get back to backcheck.
shattenkirk can only play power play # 2 and 5 on 5 is awful.
bruins need to generate offense.
if Leafs shut down pastrnak they will win, they have figured it out.
all this without mathews in the line-up. (wow )
if leafs power play would ever wake up they would beat bruins handily.
woll is a way better option then samsonov.
mcavoy, pastrnak, debrusk, marchand, lindholm, coyle, bruins high priced players must
assert themselves.

Reactions: chizzler

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sweeney, Neely, Monty, Sacco and Kelly can all go. I would hire Quenneville as coach and not worry at all what anyone thinks, Gallant would be a great choice also.
Quenville is a lying piece of shit, if he can lie about what happened in Chicago, he will lie about anything and don't need to spend anytime wondering if is lying when he speaks move on there are other candidates.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's on the coach to communicate the adjustments that need to be made, and for the players to execute those adjustments.

That is what the Leafs have done.
true but none of us are in that room to hear if Monty has expressed this and the players simply aren`t executing

I don`t think Monty is without fault but ultimately, 18 skaters need to execute and there has been a ton of passengers here over the last two games specifically.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
true but none of us are in that room to hear if Monty has expressed this and the players simply aren`t executing

I don`t think Monty is without fault but ultimately, 18 skaters need to execute and there has been a ton of passengers here over the last two games specifically.

No question about that part in bold.

I just think coaching is really important now. Moreso than back in the day.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Assuming Quenneville is still persona non grata in the league, those two are the best names available and would both mark a needed change in direction. I'd be opwn to bringing Clode back, as he's expressed interest in coaching again.

But I know Sweeney is going to circle back to his local boys and interview David Quinn and Jay Leach again

I miss Ted Nolan but get the sense he`s long been blacklisted, how about Pandolfo?

JQ has been on a bit of a redemption tour.

I would certainly inquire.

Reactions: Fire Sweeney

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This guy just isn’t an nhl coach to me. He seems like he just defers to the players and has no ability to adjust. I would like to see the back of him if we lose tomorrow

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

What does that tell you about Montgomery's ability to command respect and results?

He is an excellent, proven assistant coach.

I don't believe he has the tools to be anything more.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I guess we'll have to see how the aftermath goes but I remember last year when he took absolutely zero responsibility in his end-of-year interviews and press conferences, all his answers being "I don't know" or "Ask Goalie Bob". That was a major red flag to me.

#MeToo.

Up to this point, that is exactly what he's doing.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
When you are only generating a handful of shots a period, it should be easy to pick out who is playing better then others and play them more.

I think our face-off % is battling the Leafs PP% for historic levels of ineptitude.

Reactions: TCB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What does that tell you about Montgomery's ability to command respect and results?

He is an excellent, proven assistant coach.

I don't believe he has the tools to be anything more.
disagree this speaks to players respecting him, for me, it`s about player execution and this team has shot itself in the foot all season long with late period goals against at ill advised times on the heels of them playing well.

While never close to this level, certainly played at high levels growing up, played my best hockey for the biggest bastard coach for 2 years, despised his ways but played hard

The teams overall pts have blinded many, this is an average team who snagged 15 loser pts this season.

getting nothing out of Coyle, Zacha, Geekie, Maroon, Pasta and others, that ain`t coaching, that`s getting outworked on the ice and the coach can`t teach hustle and grit

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
No question about that part in bold.

I just think coaching is really important now. Moreso than back in the day.
really? I think it`s far less so, I think most players coming into the league now, aren`t nearly as coachable as before, a lot of that has to do with $$, back then too, if a coach didn`t like ya, you`d be traded in minutes.

This team has two high end offensive players in Marchand and Pasta, a few secondary players and some JAG`s , not a shock they are struggling

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
really? I think it`s far less so, I think most players coming into the league now, aren`t nearly as coachable as before, a lot of that has to do with $$, back then too, if a coach didn`t like ya, you`d be traded in minutes.

This team has two high end offensive players in Marchand and Pasta, a few secondary players and some JAG`s , not a shock they are struggling

There are less coachable but coaches also have more tools for coaching IMO. They have less tools for motivating.

But I also think the fact players are more like independent contractors than ever before only makes finding a coach who can bring them together even more important. As is a coach who can teach strategy, communicate it and get them to buy in.

Ken Hitchcock said once that if you can't get your best players to buy into playing a certain way, the way the coaches want, you have no chance of getting the rest of the group onboard. Boston coaches have had the luxury of the leadership group buying into playing solid defensive hockey for closing in on two decades. That's starting to dwindle as the old leadership group moves on.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad