Rank these guys now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
If you were an NHL gm with the next pick in the draft, how would you have these players ranked now from best to worst?:

Benoit Pouliot
Devin Setoguchi
Brian Lee
Luc Bourdon
Anze Kopitar
Marc Staal
Marek Zagrapan
Ryan O'Marra
Alex Bourret
Guillaume Latendresse

Last edited:

Roy G Biv*

Flyguy_1ca said:
If you had to rank the following 10 players from best to worst, what would the order be?:

Benoit Pouliot
Devin Setoguchi
Brian Lee
Luc Bourdon
Anze Kopitar
Marc Staal
Marek Zagrapan
Ryan O'Marra
Alex Bourret
Guillaume Latendresse

At what?

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
This is how Id take em. Im not sold on Latendresse at all, Ive only seen him have 2 good games outta the 9 or so Ive seen him play, thats not a high enough average for me. Though I think some people will have him as many as 4 spots higher.

Benoit Pouliot
Luc Bourdon
Devin Setoguchi
Anze Kopitar
Marc Staal
Ryan O'Marra
Brian Lee
Alex Bourret
Marek Zagrapan
Guillaume Latendresse

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Eb0la11 said:
This is how Id take em. Im not sold on Latendresse at all, Ive only seen him have 2 good games outta the 9 or so Ive seen him play, thats not a high enough average for me. Though I think some people will have him as many as 4 spots higher.
Benoit Pouliot
Luc Bourdon
Devin Setoguchi
Anze Kopitar
Marc Staal
Ryan O'Marra
Brian Lee
Alex Bourret
Marek Zagrapan
Guillaume Latendresse

I think some peopel will have him as many as 9 spots higher.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Flyguy_1ca said:
If you were an NHL gm with the next pick in the draft, how would you have these players ranked now from best to worst?:

Benoit Pouliot
Devin Setoguchi
Brian Lee
Luc Bourdon
Anze Kopitar
Marc Staal
Marek Zagrapan
Ryan O'Marra
Alex Bourret
Guillaume Latendresse

Pouliot, Bourret, Latendresse, Staal, Lee, Kopitar, Zagrapan, Bourdon, O'Marra, Setoguchi.

EDIT: Yes, it's a reach to move Latendresse up that far, however he's been very impressive in his brief NHL time. As for Bourret, I love that kid, and wish the Leafs had of been able to take him. I still have no idea why the Sharks traded up to get Setoguchi, when they mvoed up I was almost certain they were doing it to take either Rask or Bourret.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Eb0la11 said:

Benoit Pouliot
Luc Bourdon
Devin Setoguchi
Anze Kopitar
Marc Staal
Ryan O'Marra
Brian Lee
Alex Bourret
Marek Zagrapan
Guillaume Latendresse

So according to your recents post...both Carey Price and Guillaume Latendresse were bad picks by the Habs...

Just asking?

As for the thread...hmmm

Pouliot
Bourdon
Lee
Latendresse
Staal
Kopitar
Setoguchi
Bourret
O'Marra
Zagrapan

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
There's enough equality on this list that I'd have to know a little bit more about my system and previous drafts before breaking some of the ties between F and D. Plus, if I was an NHL GM, I'd be sure to know a lot more about Kopitar or Lee than I do now. I've only seen Lee once and wasn't really paying close attention, but he never caught my notice. So, just winging it:
1. Bourdon
2. Staal
3. Pouliot
4. Latendresse
5. O'Marra
6. Kopitar
7. Bourret
8. Setoguchi
9. Zagrapan
10. Lee
Bet nobody else will come up with that order! :D :propeller

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
So according to your recents post...both Carey Price and Guillaume Latendresse were bad picks by the Habs...

Just asking?

There's no way in hell that anyone can say Latendresse was a bad pick by the Habs. I'm a Price pick basher with my reasons, but like I've said before, it's not like they traded up and blew their wad for Setoguchi :shakehead .

Latendresse was a great pick.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Blind Gardien said:
There's enough equality on this list that I'd have to know a little bit more about my system and previous drafts before breaking some of the ties between F and D. Plus, if I was an NHL GM, I'd be sure to know a lot more about Kopitar or Lee than I do now. I've only seen Lee once and wasn't really paying close attention, but he never caught my notice. So, just winging it:
1. Bourdon
2. Staal
3. Pouliot
4. Latendresse
5. O'Marra
6. Kopitar
7. Setoguchi
8. Bourret
9. Lee
Bet nobody else will come up with that order! :D :propeller

May I ask why Bourdon first? Not to attack you for it, just want to know what you know that I don't. (just like anyone can reasonably ask why I like Bourret so much)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
GregStack said:
May I ask why Bourdon first? Not to attack you for it, just want to know what you know that I don't. (just like anyone can reasonably ask why I like Bourret so much)
I doubt there's anything at all that I "know" that you don't. Or vice versa. That's the thing about looking at hockey prospects, it's not a matter of absolutes. You see some things, I see some things, even watching the exact same games, and we come away with different things.

Why do I like Bourdon? For starters, I think finding impact defensemen is harder than finding impact forwards. And Bourdon has enough attributes (skating, shot, hitting) that I think he represents a potential (emphasis on "potential") #1 defenseman in the NHL. To me, that's more rare than any of these forwards, many of whom I like, but none of whom I think represent potential franchise players. My only question on him so far is hockey sense / decision making. That could be his point of failure. Or he could still get by like guys such as Jovanovski and McCabe have, even without the best head on his body. I'm ready to gamble on him despite that, because I like the physical element, which is the only reason I take him ahead of Staal.

Transported Upstater

GregStack said:
I'm a Price pick basher with my reasons, but like I've said before, it's not like they traded up and blew their wad for Setoguchi :shakehead .

LOL!

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Pouliot
Kopitar (Would of made our club if not for his contract saying he gets to stay a year in Sweden where he has been the best player on the team at his age)
Setoguchi (I first found it strange that they traded up for him but seeing him play multiple times he was really good)
Staal
Bourdon
Lee
Bourret
Latendresse
O'Marra
Zagrapan

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
AnThGrt said:
Pouliot
Kopitar (Would of made our club if not for his contract saying he gets to stay a year in Sweden where he has been the best player on the team at his age)Setoguchi (I first found it strange that they traded up for him but seeing him play multiple times he was really good)
Staal
Bourdon
Lee
Bourret
Latendresse
O'Marra
Zagrapan

I really LIke Kopitar and perhaps i'd places him second or third on this list... but im not sure hes the best player on his team at this stage... maybe top 3-4 ;) which is great for his age.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
1. Benoit Pouliot
2. Brian Lee
3. Luc Bourdon
4. Anze Kopitar
5. Marc Staal
6. Guillaume Latendresse
7. Ryan O'Marra
8. Alex Bourret
9. Devin Setoguchi
10. Marek Zagrapan

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
417 TO MTL said:

Just asking?

I get ripped for it everytime by habs fans but Im sticking to my guns. Just to clarify it, I dont think latendresse was a bad pick AT ALL, I actually think thats about where he shoulda gone. He was ranked top 20 or so on some lists heading into the draft and I was shaking my head. Of course everyone has there own opinions on prospects much like Blind Guardian said, and my opinion on Price and Latendresse is that they are wayyy overhyped and I personally think Price is gonig to be considered a bust based on his draft position. My opinions can be altered by good play, Latendresse has actually accomplished this over the last 2 months, I hold him in higher regard than I did before the draft, but he has alot to learn IMO. I think almost everyone who makes a list of these 10 guys or however many trhere are will get flamed a bit. Im pretty sure anyone from Ontario ranks the Ontario guys higher than the Western guys and vice versa. I also believe alot of these lists people are producing should have explanations, mine didnt, but some people put Setoguchi at the bottom and it makes me scratch my head. Gregstack, I can almost guarantee you'll eat your words, Setoguchi and Omarra are two of the most sure fire NHL players on this list, Setoguchi with more upside. Seto is pretty much 2nd line or better in his NHL prime in my ipinion.

But 417, I hope Price and Latendresse prove me wrong, I can assure you that my opinion of these players warrants more value than most posters on here. I have seen every single one of these players play at least twice with the exception of Lee. Guys like Pouliot Latendresse, Omarra, Bourret, Latendresse, Staal, Bourdon and Setoguchi I have seen all at least 6 times and all of them live at least twice. Not too bad considering half of them are outside the WHL when I live in Calgary.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
HOCKEY_GURU said:
I really LIke Kopitar and perhaps i'd places him second or third on this list... but im not sure hes the best player on his team at this stage... maybe top 3-4 ;) which is great for his age.
There is no way Kopitar is the besy player on his team in Sweden

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
golleafsgo_17 said:
There is no way Kopitar is the besy player on his team in Sweden
Talk to people who follow them.... Most will tell you that or he is one of the top. Ya his team is playing like @#$% but he is one of the only players who actually looks good

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Kopitar
Benoit Pouliot
Devin Setoguchi
Brian Lee
Guillaume Latendresse
Marek Zagrapan
Alex Bourret
Luc Bourdon