Latendresse > O'Marra

It does'nt work:
You have:
Staal >Lee> Kopitar>LAtendresse>O'Marra>Bourrett >Zagrapan
And
Zagrapan>Stall

Randall Graves*

GregStack said:
Pouliot, Bourret, Latendresse, Staal, Lee, Kopitar, Zagrapan, Bourdon, O'Marra, Setoguchi.

EDIT: Yes, it's a reach to move Latendresse up that far, however he's been very impressive in his brief NHL time. As for Bourret, I love that kid, and wish the Leafs had of been able to take him. I still have no idea why the Sharks traded up to get Setoguchi, when they mvoed up I was almost certain they were doing it to take either Rask or Bourret.
Latendresse over bourdon and staal?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Flyguy_1ca said:
If you were an NHL gm with the next pick in the draft, how would you have these players ranked now from best to worst?:

Anze Kopitar
Alex Bourret
Luc Bourdon
Ryan O'Marra
Guillaume Latendresse
Marc Staal
Brian Lee
Devin Setoguchi
Benoit Pouliot
Marek Zagrapan

TylerT

Mar 3, 2005
Vancouver
Can I ask why everyone's got Pouliot as their #1??
is it strictly based on what people consider his max upside?? He's not lighting the OHL on fire this year ala Bobby Ryan, so what justifies him being consistently in top spot??

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
1.Devin Setoguchi
2.Benoit Pouliot
3.Marek Zagrapan
4.Ryan O'Marra
5.Anze Kopitar
6.Alex Bourret
7.Guillaume Latendresse

1.Brian Lee
2.Luc Bourdon
3.Marc Staal

NYRGoalieGlut*

I find this wierd. It seems that the consensus is that Bourdon is above Staal but I seem to remember it was split during draft time. Staal has had a good season. So is Bourdon having a good season for everyone to take him over Staal? I just find it wierd that more people are willing to take Bourdon now than the draft.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Rush5Collapse5 said:
1.Devin Setoguchi
2.Benoit Pouliot
3.Marek Zagrapan
4.Ryan O'Marra
5.Anze Kopitar
6.Alex Bourret
7.Guillaume Latendresse

1.Brian Lee
2.Luc Bourdon
3.Marc Staal

Don't be a homer...No way Setoguchi is number one!

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Forwards:
Benoit Pouliot
Anze Kopitar
Guillaume Latendresse
Devin Setoguchi
Alex Bourret
Ryan O'Marra
Marek Zagrapan

Defencemen:
Luc Bourdon
Marc Staal
Brian Lee

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
TylerT said:
Can I ask why everyone's got Pouliot as their #1??
is it strictly based on what people consider his max upside?? He's not lighting the OHL on fire this year ala Bobby Ryan, so what justifies him being consistently in top spot??

Well Bobby Ryans not on this list. Pouliots not on the most offensive team in the league and hes the best player on that list. :)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm tired so excuse my choppy sentence structure:

Benoit Pouliot-Tops this list. He might not look so good in juniors, but he has sooo much raw talent. If he is developed properly, he will be an aboslute stud. He has a booming shot that will be useful on the powerplay, and he is not bad defensively. He can't be the go-to guy; he is a lot like Patrick Marleau. He has decent vision, he hasn't been terribly inconsistent, he has great speed, he does not shy away from hitting, and he has an abosolutely sick shot. He just needs development. Future first liner who plays the point on the powerplay.

Marc Staal- Another guy like Brian Lee who will need more time to develop. He's huge; 6-5, but he needs to add on more weight/muscle. He has an untapped offensive game, and I think he can be a bruiser on defense who can still pot in 30-40 points. Has tremendous work ethic, but he needs to work on his skating and his hitting. A guy his size should absolutely crush opponents. He's already very mature for his age, and has great upside. Is an energy player who will play on the first pairing. Maybe there can be a Staal-Staal-Staal line with Staal-Staal on defense. :)

Devin Setoguchi- Not very consistent, but another guy, like Pouliot, will do well in the NHL. He is a good skater, he can be the go-to guy, uses his body very effectively, is defensively responsible, has a stellar shot, isn't selfish with the puck, and is definitely a character guy. He has some problems with consistency which IMO are overblown, but he just needs development and a lot of conditioning. Has tremendous upside, but could bust altogther. Could be a geniune star, but could also bust.

Anze Kopitar- LA has done an excellent job with prospects. There are a lot of questoins about him. I think he'll be an NHLer, but idk if he'll be in the top six or in the bottom six. He has some skating issues I have heard, but looking at his stats he is a go-to guy; a leader who is a clutch scorer. He is an underrated playmaker. The scouting report on him is that he can "create space" but is not very physical. I hope he'll mature out of it. With luck, a future first-liner.

Luc Bourdon-Much like Lee, except hes a safer prospect with not as much upside. I think he'll be a solid two-way defenseman on the second-pairing. Is very, very physical, and has decent offensive stats. He is very calm with the puck too; makes things look effortless. Friend of mine says hes a great team player too. Doesn't have tremendous upside; will be a second-paring defenseman who plays on both the second PK-unit and the second PP-unit.

Brian Lee- Simply needs a lot of development. I think he'll be a top-four defenseman, and he has decent skills. Primarly an offensive defensman, he should be utilized that way IMO. He's creative with the puck too, which is very good. If Ottawa hadn't drafted him; I'd say that he'd play on the top pairing or never make the NHL, but since Ottawa did draft him, :) I'll say he at least becomes a seventh defenseman. He and Bourdon are interchangable.

Ryan O'Marra- Like Latendresse, its hard to guess where hes going to be. Me thinks third liner player at the least. Possesses stellar speed, but can't hit really well. Needs to add some muscle. Already has a very good skillset. Has good hands and good speed, owns a nice shot and is decent defensively. I think he will be play in the NHL sooner than everyone thinks; his skill-set his very polished. Can spark a team. Lacks top-end upside; I predict he will be a second center who plays on the PP.

Alex Bourret-Another average-like player. If he was four inches taller, he would be a great power forward. Plays with reckless abaondon. Excellent defenisvely, and will sport an A or maybe even a C some day. A little selfish with the puck. Very clutch. I cannot think of any glaring weaknesses except his lack of size, which he cannot do anything about. Brings a lot of energy to the table. He just needs more polishing. Has an undeveloped skillset. Despite his size, he may be the safest pick on this list. Has a longshot to be a Martin St.Louis. Otherwise, a stellar third-liner who plays on the PK and PP. The next Mike Ricci minus the hair.

Guillaume Latendresse-Bad skating which I am not sure is solved yet, good shot, a hard worker as evidenced by the strides made in training camp, a good hitter, and no slouch defenisvely. Isn't clutch IMO. Underrated playmaker. Doing very well so far in the QMJHL; that means he is showing improvement. He might be the next Jonathon Cheechoo. Top six potential!

Marek Zagrapan- I was hyping this guy before the draft, but I changed my mind after seeing him. He has excelletn speed but also has the hands to deke at that level. However after that, he is an average passer, , he takes dumb penalties, he does not use his size effectively to hit or contain, etc. He has an underrated shot, but thats it. I think he will not be effective on the bottom two lines, and I do not know if has the work ethic to build up his skills to play on the top two lines. Lacks energy.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
I'm tired so excuse my choppy sentence structure:

Benoit Pouliot-Tops this list. He might not look so good in juniors, but he has sooo much raw talent. If he is developed properly, he will be an aboslute stud. He has a booming shot that will be useful on the powerplay, and he is not bad defensively. He can't be the go-to guy; he is a lot like Patrick Marleau. He has decent vision, he hasn't been terribly inconsistent, he has great speed, he does not shy away from hitting, and he has an abosolutely sick shot. He just needs development. Future first liner who plays the point on the powerplay.

Marc Staal- Another guy like Brian Lee who will need more time to develop. He's huge; 6-5, but he needs to add on more weight/muscle. He has an untapped offensive game, and I think he can be a bruiser on defense who can still pot in 30-40 points. Has tremendous work ethic, but he needs to work on his skating and his hitting. A guy his size should absolutely crush opponents. He's already very mature for his age, and has great upside. Is an energy player who will play on the first pairing. Maybe there can be a Staal-Staal-Staal line with Staal-Staal on defense. :)

Devin Setoguchi- Not very consistent, but another guy, like Pouliot, will do well in the NHL. He is a good skater, he can be the go-to guy, uses his body very effectively, is defensively responsible, has a stellar shot, isn't selfish with the puck, and is definitely a character guy. He has some problems with consistency which IMO are overblown, but he just needs development and a lot of conditioning. Has tremendous upside, but could bust altogther. Could be a geniune star, but could also bust.

Anze Kopitar- LA has done an excellent job with prospects. There are a lot of questoins about him. I think he'll be an NHLer, but idk if he'll be in the top six or in the bottom six. He has some skating issues I have heard, but looking at his stats he is a go-to guy; a leader who is a clutch scorer. He is an underrated playmaker. The scouting report on him is that he can "create space" but is not very physical. I hope he'll mature out of it. With luck, a future first-liner.

Luc Bourdon-Much like Lee, except hes a safer prospect with not as much upside. I think he'll be a solid two-way defenseman on the second-pairing. Is very, very physical, and has decent offensive stats. He is very calm with the puck too; makes things look effortless. Friend of mine says hes a great team player too. Doesn't have tremendous upside; will be a second-paring defenseman who plays on both the second PK-unit and the second PP-unit.

Brian Lee- Simply needs a lot of development. I think he'll be a top-four defenseman, and he has decent skills. Primarly an offensive defensman, he should be utilized that way IMO. He's creative with the puck too, which is very good. If Ottawa hadn't drafted him; I'd say that he'd play on the top pairing or never make the NHL, but since Ottawa did draft him, :) I'll say he at least becomes a seventh defenseman. He and Bourdon are interchangable.

Ryan O'Marra- Like Latendresse, its hard to guess where hes going to be. Me thinks third liner player at the least. Possesses stellar speed, but can't hit really well. Needs to add some muscle. Already has a very good skillset. Has good hands and good speed, owns a nice shot and is decent defensively. I think he will be play in the NHL sooner than everyone thinks; his skill-set his very polished. Can spark a team. Lacks top-end upside; I predict he will be a second center who plays on the PP.

Alex Bourret-Another average-like player. If he was four inches taller, he would be a great power forward. Plays with reckless abaondon. Excellent defenisvely, and will sport an A or maybe even a C some day. A little selfish with the puck. Very clutch. I cannot think of any glaring weaknesses except his lack of size, which he cannot do anything about. Brings a lot of energy to the table. He just needs more polishing. Has an undeveloped skillset. Despite his size, he may be the safest pick on this list. Has a longshot to be a Martin St.Louis. Otherwise, a stellar third-liner who plays on the PK and PP. The next Mike Ricci minus the hair.

Guillaume Latendresse-Bad skating which I am not sure is solved yet, good shot, a hard worker as evidenced by the strides made in training camp, a good hitter, and no slouch defenisvely. Isn't clutch IMO. Underrated playmaker. Doing very well so far in the QMJHL; that means he is showing improvement. He might be the next Jonathon Cheechoo. Top six potential!

Marek Zagrapan- I was hyping this guy before the draft, but I changed my mind after seeing him. He has excelletn speed but also has the hands to deke at that level. However after that, he is an average passer, , he takes dumb penalties, he does not use his size effectively to hit or contain, etc. He has an underrated shot, but thats it. I think he will not be effective on the bottom two lines, and I do not know if has the work ethic to build up his skills to play on the top two lines. Lacks energy.

"Marek Zagrapan- I was hyping this guy before the draft, but I changed my mind after seeing him."

-that killed your credibility. Do you also buy cars before you see what they look like? Maybe you just like the name only?

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Nice point VR, I think he was pretty good with his assessments, we might have to give him the benefit of the doubt when he said he was tired. That was a pretty brutal thing to say at the end, prtty much makes his work worth nothing... Anyone else got any takes on these guys? I would mind someone revisting this thread at the conclusion of the WJHCs?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Eb0la11 said:
Nice point VR, I think he was pretty good with his assessments, we might have to give him the benefit of the doubt when he said he was tired. That was a pretty brutal thing to say at the end, prtty much makes his work worth nothing... Anyone else got any takes on these guys? I would mind someone revisting this thread at the conclusion of the WJHCs?

I hadn't seen Guillaume Latendresse prior to the 05 draft...all I had read about him though was how horrid his skating was, everything else written about him was great though...so this fall I had the chance to see him several times at the rookie tournament and although he wasn't a speed demon, his skating didn't seem to hinder him, at least at that level, you have to remember he's 225lbs...he's never going to be a speedster, but I thought his skating was fine...and he almost seemed explosif when he got possesion of the puck as I saw him...this continued throughout the NHL preseason vs. stiffer competition, his skating didn't seem to affect him at all...

I don't know, I read he took some power skating lessons during the summer and shed some baby fat and added more muscle too :dunno: maybe that helped increase his speed...but like I said since i've seen him, if that's the reason Latendresse dropped out of the 1st round, then it was a mistake on behalf of alot of teams...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
superroyain10 said:

Most of the questions, or reservations about him really stem from being the first player out of Slovenia. He's got top rate skill, and his skating issues(before the draft) are really non-existent. His physical game is fine, though everyone would like to see a guy of his stature play the ulitimate power forward role, but that is not much of a factor. He reminds me of a young Matts Sundin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad