Rank D from 2003 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb**

kremlin said:
Almost 2 years after the draft: rank the D-men who were taken in the first two rounds of the entry draft. Below you find the players, including their original draft #.

Ryan Suter (#7)
Braydon Coburn (#8)
Dion Phaneuf (#9)
Brent Seabrooke (#14)
Brent Burns (#20)
Mark Stuart (#21)
Shawn Belle (#30)
Danny Richmond (#31)
Mike Egener (#34)
Kevin Klein (#37)
Tim Ramholt (#39)
Matt Smaby (#41)
Matt Carle (#47)
Shea Weber (#49)
Ivan Baranka (#50)
John Doherty (#57)
Michal Barinka (#59)
David Liffiton (#63)

Where does Alexandre Picard fit in among these players? Is one of the best if not the best in the QMJL was taken 85 overall.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
1) Dion Phaneuf (#9)
2) Ryan Suter (#7)
3) Braydon Coburn (#8)
4) Mark Stuart (#21)
5) Shea Weber (#49)
6) Brent Seabrooke (#14)
7) Mike Egener (#34)
8) Tim Ramholt (#39)
9) Brent Burns (#20)
10) Shawn Belle (#30)

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
1) Dion Phaneuf (#9)
2) Ryan Suter (#7)
3) Braydon Coburn (#8)
4) Brent Seabrook (#14)
5) Mark Stuart (#21)
6) Shea Weber (#49)
7) Mike Egener (#34)
8) Brent Burns (#20)
9) Shawn Belle (#30)
10) Tim Ramholt (#39)

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
kremlin said:
Almost 2 years after the draft: rank the D-men who were taken in the first two rounds of the entry draft. Below you find the players, including their original draft #.

Ryan Suter (#7)
Braydon Coburn (#8)
Dion Phaneuf (#9)
Brent Seabrooke (#14)
Brent Burns (#20)
Mark Stuart (#21)
Shawn Belle (#30)
Danny Richmond (#31)
Mike Egener (#34)
Kevin Klein (#37)
Tim Ramholt (#39)
Matt Smaby (#41)
Matt Carle (#47)
Shea Weber (#49)
Ivan Baranka (#50)
John Doherty (#57)
Michal Barinka (#59)
David Liffiton (#63)

Ryan Suter (#7)
Braydon Coburn (#8)
Dion Phaneuf (#9)
Mark Stuart (#21)
Brent Burns (#20)
Tim Ramholt (#39)
Brent Seabrooke (#14)
Michal Barinka (#59)
Mike Egener (#34)
Kevin Klein (#37)
Shea Weber (#49)
Danny Richmond (#31)
Ivan Baranka (#50)
Matt Smaby (#41)
Matt Carle (#47)
Shawn Belle (#30)
John Doherty (#57)
David Liffiton (#63)

in that order...

bruins4777*

pavel datsyuk said:
Ryan Suter (#7)
Braydon Coburn (#8)
Dion Phaneuf (#9)
Mark Stuart (#21)
Brent Burns (#20)
Tim Ramholt (#39)
Brent Seabrooke (#14)
Michal Barinka (#59)
Mike Egener (#34)
Kevin Klein (#37)
Shea Weber (#49)
Danny Richmond (#31)
Ivan Baranka (#50)
Matt Smaby (#41)
Matt Carle (#47)
Shawn Belle (#30)
John Doherty (#57)
David Liffiton (#63)

in that order...
...why is weber so low? and belle also? and ramholt so high?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Greg7 said:
Phaneuf
Suter
Coburn
Weber
Stuart
Seabrook
Egener
Burns
Klein
Baranka

There are guys missing, but those are the only ones I feel comfortable ranking.

I'm not a big Ryan Suter fan, but from what I've seen, he doesn't get enough credit from non-American hockey fans. I'm also a huge Dion Phaneuf fan, so it's hard for me to say this, but Phaneuf is not the best thing since sliced bread, and he's not significantly ahead of Ryan Suter, if at all. The amount of hype he gets here is ridiculous.

Well put. I think Phaneuf is going to have a hard time living up to some people's expecations. He's a fantastic prospect, but not Bobby Orr.

bruins4777*

Rabid Ranger said:
Well put. I think Phaneuf is going to have a hard time living up to some people's expecations. He's a fantastic prospect, but not Bobby Orr.
I'm not a phaneuf fan at all, but who's calling him bobby orr? I believe all the comparisons are saying "he's scott stevens". Do you think he can match stevens' legacy?

Personally i don't think he can even do that.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
No one has ever said that, people have made comparisions to Scott Stevens, a guy who has never won a Norris trophy. What is so bad about that? :dunno:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
bruins4777 said:
I'm not a phaneuf fan at all, but who's calling him bobby orr? I believe all the comparisons are saying "he's scott stevens". Do you think he can match stevens' legacy?
Any reasons, seriously?

I know you are a Nashville fan, are you mad most people regard Phaneuf ahead of Suter?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
No one has ever said that, people have made comparisions to Scott Stevens, a guy who has never won a Norris trophy. What is so bad about that? :dunno:

I'm not making a literal comparison. All I'm saying is the way Phaneuf is being hyped he's supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, and that can be hard to live up to. I mentioned Orr's name because he's the pinnacle of what a NHL defenseman should be.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
bruins4777 said:

Personally i don't think he can even do that.

I'm not going to make any predictions about Phaneuf until he plays, and excels at professional hockey. Something Suter is doing by the way...........

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not making a literal comparison. All I'm saying is the way Phaneuf is being hyped he's supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, and that can be hard to live up to. I mentioned Orr's name because he's the pinnacle of what a NHL defenseman should be.
Right, well that is a load of hogwash. Phaneuf has been getting alot of well deserved hype. Its your fault if you read into it like people are expecting him to be the greatest ever.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not going to make any predictions about Phaneuf until he plays, and excels at professional hockey. Something Suter is doing by the way...........
Well kudos to Suter for being able to play in the AHL this year, Dion Phaneuf wasn't allowed to.

Phanuthier*

Rabid Ranger said:
All I'm saying is the way Phaneuf is being hyped he's supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, and that can be hard to live up to.
Kinda sounds like Crosby being the next Gretzkey, right?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Splatman Phanutier said:
Kinda sounds like Crosby being the next Gretzkey, right?

Something else I disagree with, as well.

I'm not a huge fan of overhyping ANY prospect, because it can have a tendency to make you look foolish down the road. You know, at one point...Luke Richardson was going to be THE quintessential number one NHL d-man...and here..an average NHL career later...he's looked at with scorn by fans of the defensively challenged Columbus Blue Jackets. I like what I see in Phaneuf\Suter\Crosby\Kessel and so on...but I try not to be as naive as to guarantee they'll be superstars. Anything can happen when you get to the NHL.

CH Wizard

nomorekids said:
Now, I'd say that Phaneuf is a little ahead of Suter, but I wouldn't say he was "badly outplayed," as Suter was really the lone bright spot on an abysmal US WJC defense, and it's hard to talk about progress when Phaneuf is one of the best defensemen in the WHL and Suter is one of the best defensemen on the one of the best teams in the AHL. I say "progress" is pretty even, really.

One thing's sure , NMK!!!

Suter has been outplayed badly by Belarus , especially by the ''overhyped'' , ''overrated'' Kostitsyn.Didn't he? :D

(just kidding) :dunce: :innocent:

Nah , I like Suter.I think , he was the best d out there.I liked what I saw from him in the WJC's.

He's so solid physically and he isn't doing that bad offensively with the Admirals.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
These three are a notch above the rest:
Dion Phaneuf
Ryan Suter
Braydon Coburn

These are a notch below:
Michal Barinka
Ivan Baranka
David Liffiton
Danny Richmond
Matt Smaby
John Doherty

These guys are all pretty even... somewhere in the middle:
Mark Stuart
Mike Egener
Brent Seabrooke
Shea Weber
Matt Carle
Tim Ramholt
Shawn Belle
Kevin Klein
Brent Burns

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
1. Dion Phaneuf (#9)
Ryan Suter (#7)

2. Braydon Coburn (#8)

3. Mark Stuart (#21)
Brent Seabrooke (#14)
Shea Weber (#49)

4. Brent Burns (#20)

5. Mike Egener (#34)
Shawn Belle (#30)
Tim Ramholt (#39)

6. Kevin Klein (#37)

7. Danny Richmond (#31)

8. Ivan Baranka (#50)
Matt Carle (#47)
Matt Smaby (#41)

9. Michal Barinka (#59)
David Liffiton (#63)

10. John Doherty (#57)

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
There are so many good defensemen from that draft year It's hard to put in exact order...

outside the first round...

I really like Kevin Klien I'd really like to see how he develops. If he gets stronger and quicker boy oh boy Nashville (? did draft him right? ) got a steal.

Shea Weber is also going to be a solid defensemen.

Don't know to much outside of them two, but Zach Fitzgerald is another defensemen with an edge that I cant wait to develop...or maybe Im just being a homer...

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Senor Rational said:
There are so many good defensemen from that draft year It's hard to put in exact order...

outside the first round...

I really like Kevin Klien I'd really like to see how he develops. If he gets stronger and quicker boy oh boy Nashville (? did draft him right? ) got a steal.

Shea Weber is also going to be a solid defensemen.

Don't know to much outside of them two, but Zach Fitzgerald is another defensemen with an edge that I cant wait to develop...or maybe Im just being a homer...

Nashville just has to take their time with those 3(Suter, Weber & Klein) and Hamhuis, and they will be set for YEARS

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
Right, well that is a load of hogwash. Phaneuf has been getting alot of well deserved hype. Its your fault if you read into it like people are expecting him to be the greatest ever.

I'm not reading into anything. There are some tremendous expectations being heaped upon Phaneuf and it's unknown whether he can live up to those expectations. If he can, great, but IMO, it's better to be a bit more reasonable and hope for the best. Greatness is predicted way to often around here, whether it's Phaneuf being the next whatever, Crosby the next Gretzky, or Frolik the next Jagr. Let these guys make their own way before we anoint them hall-of-famers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
Well kudos to Suter for being able to play in the AHL this year, Dion Phaneuf wasn't allowed to.

True, but at least we have a point of reference with Suter. He is doing exceptionally well in a league directly below the NHL as a 19 year old, playing arguably the toughest position in hockey. How Phaneuf will do is unknown at this point.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
my reservation about phaneuf (and i'll admit from the beginning it could end up being nothing) is that he's basically a man amongst boys in the WHL right now and of course he looks damn good. but when he actually has to play against real competition? I wonder if his progress will continue...or if he's peaked early. it's hard to tell without really seeing him against decent competition

he can be an amazing prospect right now but if he doesn't continue developing he won't end up anywhere close to what people are projecting him as...

course there's really nothing to indicate this may end up being the case...just something to worry about in a little way

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
1) Dion Phaneuf (#9)
2) Ryan Suter (#7)
3) Brent Seabrooke (#14)
4) Braydon Coburn (#8)
5) Mark Stuart (#21)
6) Shea Weber (#49)
7) Mike Egener (#34)
8) Tim Ramholt (#39)
9) Brent Burns (#20)
10) Shawn Belle (#30)

I like this list posted earlier except I moved Seabrooke up to #3.
Maybe its a bit of a homer pick but I think he has developed as well as anyone above except Phaneuf and Suter who are a notch above the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad