Waived: Rangers waive Brendan Smith (Cleared)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
When was the last time a team just gave up midseason and decided to rebuild MIDSEASON? I mean by the end of the season the Rangers will likely be without Smith (AHL), Nash, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Grabner, + more. Crazy.
Well at the time they traded Stepan I think it was pretty obvious what they are thinking about.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Norris Trophy winner, Vezina & Hart Winner and a perennial 30 goal scorer. That's it.

Norris trophy winner, FUTURE Vezina & Hart winner** and one-time 30 goal scorer**

he also had DD has his #1 C, Travis Moen and Mathieu on his top 6. kaberle was Habs 3rd best D after Subban & Markov.

No one in the pipeline as well.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Have to wonder if this would ever happen if AV was not part of the picture. I like Smith. Was a warrior in the playoffs. Has had a bad season. I think there is too much player here to put the guy on waivers. Whole team is stinking it up. He's the only guy that stands up for his mates before McLeod. I don't like it.
I was thinking the same thing. Why is Smith singled out. Plus, I would have liked to see Smith's game with a different coach in a different D system before burying the guy.

Reactions: Lion Hound

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Norris trophy winner, FUTURE Vezina & Hart winner** and one-time 30 goal scorer**

he also had DD has his #1 C, Travis Moen and Mathieu on his top 6. kaberle was Habs 3rd best D after Subban & Markov.

No one in the pipeline as well.

Subban hadn't won the Norris either, and only garnered marginal support at that point. Though obviously anyone had seen more than shades of things to come.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was thinking the same thing. Why is Smith singled out. Plus, I would have liked to see Smith's game with a different coach in a different D system before burying the guy.
Because he is the one being overpaid while others are either UFAs at the end of the season or being paid reasonable salary. Other than Staal whose situation is a disaster. Like somebody said, this might just be a wake-up call, not necessarily them giving up on the guy.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Worse than I thought!

I remember when they signed him thinking that it was too much money and term. He played great for the Rangers after his deadline acquisition but I don't know how that contract ever made sense to them.

And here's a fun look back at that discussion!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nyr-rangers-re-sign-brendan-smith-4-years-4-35m-aav.2364327/

Funny how often these big UFA signings don't tend to work out for the Rangers. Their track record of overpaying for UFAs then regretting it is overwhelming.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
But, Sharks get an NHL player and NYR get a bad contract with less years on it that can be bought out.
Sure I guess I'd just prefer we get picks out of it, we're pretty good on cap once Nash and Grabner move and maybe McD and Zucc

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
See above

There would be a few benefits to bringing in Matt Martin

-We get a good shot suppressor (Martin is still an NHL'er, just makes too much money)
-We get a needed physical edge without it being Glass or McLeod
-I get a few months off from reading about how this team needs a fighter
-It pisses off AV

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
There would be a few benefits to bringing in Matt Martin

-We get a good shot suppressor (Martin is still an NHL'er, just makes too much money)
-We get a needed physical edge without it being Glass or McLeod
-I get a few months off from reading about how this team needs a fighter
-It pisses off AV
Yep I like Matt Martin he's not a complete dud and he's a great locker room guy from what I've seen and heard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad