Waived: Rangers waive Brendan Smith (Cleared)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Wade Redden 2.0

I mean at least Redden had a decent NHL resume and actually looked like a useful regular NHL contributor before the Rangers handed him a terrible contract...

Smith was never able to hold onto a regular spot for the Red Wings, even when their blueline was Kronwall (and then Green) carrying a band of overpaid 3rd pairing or fringe NHL dmen for all 4.75 seasons Smith occupied a spot on their 23 man roster.... The 2nd and 3rd at the deadline and then contract extension were and likely always will be horrible overpayments by Gorton.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Those quotes are crazy (and I'm sure painful for Rangers fans). They talk as if the guy just came over from some obscure league so their only basis for his abilities was the one postseason with the Rangers. Seriously, does no one in management watch Red Wings games?

And I don't see how Smith bears the responsibility. It sounds like he's played for NY how he has through the other 5 years of his career - as a Dman who looks like he has the potential to be at least a solid middle pairing guy, but lacks the hockey smarts and makes awful mistakes that keep him at a #6/7 dman instead. He's even on pace to put up his usual amount of points. It's not Smith's fault the Rangers gave him that awful contract based on 30 games with a new team.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That was a good trade for Detroit. However, if I was a fan of a team that is in cap hell with a very bad roster and very mediocre prospect pool, I probably wouldn't gloat so much about GM mistakes etc. But that's just me...

Yes, it is somewhat shocking that a team would stumble after a quarter century of success. :laugh:

Reactions: Off Sides

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think he could still be effective if he gets a reset.

Comes back next season in shape with a hockey coach behind the bench as opposed to whatever the **** sport AV thinks this is.

Don't really get the point of this.

That's true he needs a new coach. He was shit under Babcock, Blashill and AV. A new coach though will make him a good player.

LOL

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That was a good trade for Detroit. However, if I was a fan of a team that is in cap hell with a very bad roster and very mediocre prospect pool, I probably wouldn't gloat so much about GM mistakes etc. But that's just me...
Yeah I’m really happy with the last 24 hours and the direction the Rangers are heading in. That’s more important to me than being wrong on HFBoards.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Neat. Thanks for chiming in. I'm aware they used to be very good. They're awful now, with a very bleak future. The past doesn't change that.

The Wings could be very good in three years. The big money contracts go off the books. They need the front line players, but they are likely to be drafting high. Yes they will need some luck mixed in, but they have some nice young players and are likely to have cracks at the elite ones they need in the next two drafts. They don't intend on being intentionally bad and the past matters there and it will to the free agents when they get the course corrected.

I have always been a big Smith guy. It is unfortunate that inconsistencies still plague his game. He is a monster in the post-season but he has never been able to consistently string together games outside of the playoffs. It wears out his coaches, management and fans. You can see the talent, he just cannot sustain it.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
It's only because of how much shit was flung at us by rangers fans about our ability to judge a player we had been watching for years.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I mean.... There probably wouldn't be such a thing as "cap hell" if before the 2005 CBA the Rangers current President wasn't helping drastically raise players salaries by overpaying to build teams that couldn't even make the playoffs.... Thanks Glen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad