Post-Game Talk: Rangers VS Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I posted earlier this week that I expected Caps to trade for a D and F. I still think BMac has another move in him before the TDL.
He has already done both - Hags (F) and Jensen (D). I’m sorta figuring we’re done. In fact, i’d prefer it. These were both smart, low-key moves, like Kempny last year. I’m ready to roll with this squad, even with 65 still on it. He and linemates playing noticeably better lately. (Well, at least he and Conno are. Eller could stand some improvement, seems like)

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Of course!!!

Anyone but Samsonov or Alexeyev. They can have all the picks and anyone else they want.

That being said, that third line has shown me something in the last few weeks and I do like the moves the GMBM has made. Tinkering but not destroying chemistry.
The moves we made aren't major pieces. Minor upgrades for the present but long term I think we lose. Bowey and a 2nd for Jensen and a 5th is quite a bit. Bowey has more potential long term. He is almost 5 years younger. At age 28 I dont see Jensen's game progressing much. Even if Bowey doesnt pan out the 2nd round pick could. 2 prospects for a 28 year old dman that has more experience in the minors than the NHL seems a bit high.

Last edited:

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
I know it's one game, but was really impressed with Jensen.

Dowd spilled the beans in his post game presser, he isn't married to Jensen's sister or vice versa, their wives are good friends and they (Dowd and Jensen) were in each other's weddings.

Oh and who did Dowd head butt on the bench when he scored his goal?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Their biggest need right now is fixing Orlov-Niskanen. It's untenable and I don't know what you do about it because both players have been bad individually and really bad together.

I guess you can just reduce both Orlov's and Niskanen's minutes and increase Orpik's and Jensen's minutes but is that really going to be enough? I'd like to see a 9-3 pairing at some point and see what happens.

Fixing Kuzy is another issue because his play away from the puck is putrid. Hopefully this is just a matter of effort and he'll straighten it out down the stretch because as we have heard from his comments he's less than committed for the full 82 games.

I think you move Burakovsky only if there is a deal for a legit top 6 player coming back in return. Stone, Kreider, etc. Don't trade him away for like Luke Glendenning or some other fringe player.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
And where would you slot Stone in? Do you drop Wilson to the 4th line? Do you take Oshie off pp1 and or drop him the the 3rd line? Do you think the locker room needs to be upset like that?

Do you always answer a question with a question? Yep, yes you do.

Nah they should bench Wilson and put Kuzy on waivers. Then trade for Stone and Donald Trump.

Even though my question was, “what do you guys think?”, the above is what I’m actually advocating.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Would you guys do Bura +++ for Stone?

Just curious if people are happy with the moves or want GMBM to all-in.

Overall, I'm happy with just the current moves but not opposed on real upgrades. We're in it to win it with aging core. Also, it depends on who the plus is by us.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Their biggest need right now is fixing Orlov-Niskanen. It's untenable and I don't know what you do about it because both players have been bad individually and really bad together.

I guess you can just reduce both Orlov's and Niskanen's minutes and increase Orpik's and Jensen's minutes but is that really going to be enough? I'd like to see a 9-3 pairing at some point and see what happens.

Fixing Kuzy is another issue because his play away from the puck is putrid. Hopefully this is just a matter of effort and he'll straighten it out down the stretch because as we have heard from his comments he's less than committed for the full 82 games.

I think you move Burakovsky only if there is a deal for a legit top 6 player coming back in return. Stone, Kreider, etc. Don't trade him away for like Luke Glendenning or some other fringe player.

I think you’re right that this colors the rest of the deadline for us. I think Stone gets us very close to TB in terms of roster stackage, but we’d still have to sort out the current gong show with Niskanov in order for it to matter. We’re not going anywhere with them getting tons of ice time and playing this poorly.

IMO it’s extremely likely that we’re done, was just curious what you guys would do in this situation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do you always answer a question with a question? Yep, yes you do.

Nah they should bench Wilson and put Kuzy on waivers. Then trade for Stone and Donald Trump.

Even though my question was, “what do you guys think?”, the above is what I’m actually advocating.

Ok...my bad. What I think is that the Caps don't need that player. The Caps have quality top 9 right wings.

I hope that was more to your point. Friends again?

Reactions: Bananas

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Yup. I think reason 1A for the Jensen trade was Bowey being unplayable as a 3RD and the Djoos injury but reason 1B was Niskanen's very poor season to date. Niskanen and Orlov are brutal and have been that way all season and they won't make any noise if those two don't get it together. Maybe 2 and 9 never recovered from the Cup run? If that's the case then reduce their minutes over the final 20 games and hope it's enough but if not, not good.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Interesting. Orlov has always needed that stay at home pairing to show well and Nisky's declining speed probably makes it harder and harder to cover for him this year. Because of that, its compounding their weaknesses as a pair exponentially. Maybe we do need to try out 9 and 3 and see how it goes

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I guess you can just reduce both Orlov's and Niskanen's minutes and increase Orpik's and Jensen's minutes but is that really going to be 44? I'd like to see a 9-3 pairing at some point and see what happens..

I think you are going to see some situational adjustments. I think you are going to see more 74-44. I think you are going to see more 3-44 getting defensive zone starts against top opposing lines. I don't think 9 is going to penalty kill anymore.

The key will be watching Niskanen and Orlov's minutes. 2 played 24:30 and Orlov 22 today. Carlson played 28 in the second of a back to back. Ugh. So, the entire idea of watching their load be reduced may be completely off base.

Where do you go to get the ice time breakdown? es, pp and sh and so forth

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
. Hagelin played good too but needs better finish.

Don't hold your breath for that. We got him relatively easily with 50% retained because the league thinks his finish is finished. He's uniquely valuable to us because his strengths - PK, defensive responsibility, forechecking, and motor rate - are all areas of deficiency for us so far this year. Goals from him are icing on the cake

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hagelin is more experienced Stephensen. Kinda. Both can finish, but dont do tgat this season :) so there is potential!

Both can play with 19-77 in case of injuries which is good too.

Actually, right side is weaker now in terms of depth. Maybe Vrana switches then.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Their biggest need right now is fixing Orlov-Niskanen. ///

Fixing Kuzy is another issue because his play away from the puck is putrid. ///

You could add Holtby, Kempny, and Eller to the list of players most in need of 'fixes.' Nicky's performance today was significantly better, we'll see if it lasts.

imo Caps don't really need add'l [different] players, they need their current roster to play up to their abilities.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I cannot believe the inaccurate over reaction to Copley's game.
How many lucky goals did the Rangers get? What could he have done on at least half of them?!
Ridiculous comments by a whole bunch of people.

Game was all over the place. That happens sometimes.
What the hell was the ref doing when the jersey went over Niskanen's head? Get in there you idiot?
How was that not a blatant interference when Wilson was fore-checking hard and the defender literally skated in front of him deliberately so Wilson wouldnt hit his partner...
Jensen is great. Poise, skill and speed is a great combo for a defender. Will surpass Niskanen I agree.
Burky continues to shine. I called it a month ago that he looked very different. I'd only move him for Stone. His purposeful skating is so noticeable now too.
Good to see Nicky bounce back.
The Ovi shadow is something we need to work on in practice. We did ok with possession but I think we can do better still in those scenarios, and they WILL happen in the playoffs.
Change the goal to Ovi please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad