Rangers Sign Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Greg7 said:
Okay, everyone needs to read this. A lot of people are confused about the rules about how contracts and sending guys down works for CHL players.

No player who has a contract with a CHL team can play anywhere other than the NHL until their overage year of junior. This means you can't send a guy to the AHL, ECHL, or anywhere else until he's a 20 year old by CHL standards (this is determined strictly by birthyear; for example, this year's "20 year olds" in the CHL are born in 1985, so even though some of them are still 19, and some of them will be 21 before the season ends, they are all considered "20 year olds"). CHL contracts have release clauses for the NHL only.

A player can be sent back to junior from the NHL any time the team wants to. Remember MA Fleury a couple year ago? Played half the season in Pittsburgh, went to the WJs, then went back down to junior.

If a player dresses in 10 or more regular season NHL games his contract starts ticking and years start coming off, but he can still be sent to junior.

If a player dresses for 40 or more regular season NHL games his RFA years start ticking (towards 7 years in the NHL until unrestricted free agency), but he can still be sent to junior.

All this adds up to mean that you can sign a prospect, play him in all your preseason games and up to 9 regular season games, send him back to junior, and no years will come off his contract or his RFA eligibility. You can play him for up to 39 games in the NHL, then send him back to junior, and a year comes off his contract but it doesn't count as the first of the seven years in the NHL to become a UFA. You can even play a guy for 50 or whatever games and send him back to junior if you want, but you lose a year of RFA eligibility towards the seven years and a year off the entry level contract.

In Marc Staal's case specifically, this means he can't play in the AHL for two years, so he will probably play those two years in junior.

Thank you for the clarification sir.

I'm pretty sure I all that. My guess is the Rangers want to take as much time as they possibly can to look at Staal, since he has surpassed even their expectations....and that is saying something

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Marshall said:
That's certainly how it used to be under the old CBA. Does anyone have proof that it still works that way, or that it works differently under the new CBA?
The new CBA has the same rules for contracts (the 40 games taking a year of RFA eligibility is new obviously), but the AHL thing is actually not part of the CBA. It's in the transfer agreement between the CHL and NHL, which isn't even in place yet I don't think (it expired at a similar time to the old CBA and got put on the back burner with the CBA stuff going on), but that particular piece about junior players not being allowed to play in the AHL will definitely remain in place. It's important to the overall quality of the CHL and it's effectiveness as a developmental league. If it wasn't there, all the 18 year old high draft picks would end up in the AHL and the overall talent and quality of play (and thus developmental effectiveness) in the CHL would suffer. I don't have any links for you on this stuff though, sorry.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Greg7 said:
The new CBA has the same rules for contracts (the 40 games taking a year of RFA eligibility is new obviously), but the AHL thing is actually not part of the CBA. It's in the transfer agreement between the CHL and NHL, which isn't even in place yet I don't think (it expired at a similar time to the old CBA and got put on the back burner with the CBA stuff going on), but that particular piece about junior players not being allowed to play in the AHL will definitely remain in place. It's important to the overall quality of the CHL and it's effectiveness as a developmental league. If it wasn't there, all the 18 year old high draft picks would end up in the AHL and the overall talent and quality of play (and thus developmental effectiveness) in the CHL would suffer. I don't have any links for you on this stuff though, sorry.

Just read that a new deal between the NHL and CHL is all but done.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
bert said:
The rags are screwing up another prospect. God damn it let the guy play in the OHL one more year let him have a WJC experience. Blackburn, Malhotra, Lundmark and now Stall what a bunch of morons.

There is 1 difference though, Staal """could"""(envasise could) play NHL now. Playing in the AHL isn't that bad of a thing either.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
MassiveHabs said:
whats the rangers Defensemen depth chart look like?
Prospect wise??

Tyutin
Staal
Kondratiev
Sauer (could be switch with Baranka)
Baranka (read above)
Pock
Lampman

NHL wise (IMO the order) (Factoring NHL Ready as well)

Tyutin
Kasparaitis
Poti
Kondratiev
Malik
Rozsival
Purinton/Strudwick/Pock

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Prospect wise??

Tyutin
Staal
Kondratiev
Sauer (could be switch with Baranka)
Baranka (read above)
Pock
Lampman

NHL wise (IMO the order) (Factoring NHL Ready as well)

Tyutin
Kasparaitis
Poti
Kondratiev
Malik
Rozsival
Purinton/Strudwick/Pock

i think pöck's potential is above baranka and sauer's, but he's not as likely to be a solid guy like those two. the rangers are really just missing a top flight #1 guy IMO. with tyutin, staal, and kondratiev, they have a 3 of of a pretty good top 4.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
bert said:
The rags are screwing up another prospect. God damn it let the guy play in the OHL one more year let him have a WJC experience. Blackburn, Malhotra, Lundmark and now Stall what a bunch of morons.

I'm thinking your relieved.....right :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad