Rangers Sign Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i think they could have easily gave him another year in minors, 1 year in AHL then by the time hes 20 or 21 hed be completely ready.. hope they dont rush him, they arent exactly the best team right now to bring along a young defensemen like that

HughJass*

Haven't seen him play, can't comment if he was rushed or not but Rangers were very fortunate to draft him.

:cheers:

Large_Farva*

COme on guys get it right. You can't send a under 20 CHL player to the farm.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
zetterberg40 said:
i think they could have easily gave him another year in minors, 1 year in AHL then by the time hes 20 or 21 hed be completely ready.. hope they dont rush him, they arent exactly the best team right now to bring along a young defensemen like that

Yea they could have..and they still might. They can still send him down to Juniors if he doesnt play 10 NHL regular season games.

IMO the Rangers are going to let him play about 15 NHL games (preseason included). That way he himself can see what he needs to do to improve himself to the NHL level. Right now hes only a year away from NHL-Ready IMO. He looked like a 21 year old playing pro for 3 years on the ice yesterday night and has had an amazing training and rookie camp.

Staal is one of the closer NHL-ready players in the past draft though and he definitely proved that yesterday night, they had him playing everything PP, PK first defense unit as well, didnt look out of place.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
FLYLine88 said:
Yea they could have..and they still might. They can still send him down to Juniors if he doesnt play 10 NHL regular season games.

IMO the Rangers are going to let him play about 15 NHL games (preseason included). That way he himself can see what he needs to do to improve himself to the NHL level. Right now hes only a year away from NHL-Ready IMO. He looked like a 21 year old playing pro for 3 years on the ice yesterday night and has had an amazing training and rookie camp.

Staal is one of the closer NHL-ready players in the past draft though and he definitely proved that yesterday night, they had him playing everything PP, PK first defense unit as well, didnt look out of place.

i forgot about that... its been a while im slowly getting my mind back into gear.. lol...

i hope they dont rush him, i kinda thought carolina rushed eric and should have let him spend a year or so in the AHL but hopefully marc can come along and help solidify the brutal defense of the rangers in the near future

tyutin and staal are a very nice start.. 1-2 more guys and things aint looking too bad

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
zetterberg40 said:
i forgot about that... its been a while im slowly getting my mind back into gear.. lol...

i hope they dont rush him, i kinda thought carolina rushed eric and should have let him spend a year or so in the AHL but hopefully marc can come along and help solidify the brutal defense of the rangers in the near future

tyutin and staal are a very nice start.. 1-2 more guys and things aint looking too bad

if you go by what was strictly being reported out of training camp, kondratiev can be added to that mix also (he didn't play in preseason game #1)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The rags are screwing up another prospect. God damn it let the guy play in the OHL one more year let him have a WJC experience. Blackburn, Malhotra, Lundmark and now Stall what a bunch of morons.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
bert said:
The rags are screwing up another prospect. God damn it let the guy play in the OHL one more year let him have a WJC experience. Blackburn, Malhotra, Lundmark and now Stall what a bunch of morons.

you are aware that you can sign a player and send him back to the chl?

Edit: and lundmark played two years in the chl after the rangers drafted him.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
FLYLine88 said:
They can send him back to juniors if he plays more than ten games, but it will count as a full year against his contract.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:

Um, wouldn't letting him play 15 NHL games force them to keep him up? I mean, going by what you say just above that guess.

And going by what I saw of him against the Islanders, he needs more time still. I noticed him numerous times, in both good and bad ways -- that is to say, I thought he looked out of place. He showed loads of promise, but his decision making just isn't NHL caliber yet. That's the kind of thing that needs heavy minutes to really improve. He'd be much better off getting 30 min a night in the OHL, IMO.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Seph said:
Um, wouldn't letting him play 15 NHL games force them to keep him up? I mean, going by what you say just above that guess.

And going by what I saw of him against the Islanders, he needs more time still. I noticed him numerous times, in both good and bad ways -- that is to say, I thought he looked out of place. He showed loads of promise, but his decision making just isn't NHL caliber yet. That's the kind of thing that needs heavy minutes to really improve. He'd be much better off getting 30 min a night in the OHL, IMO.

Im pretty sure pre-season games dont count against the 10 games.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
bert said:

Hahahaha. Great post there, buddy.

:biglaugh:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
SingnBluesOnBroadway said:
Can someone please explain to me how the Rangers ruined Dan Blackburn?

I agree the Rangers never ruined Blackburn's develpoment he was playing very well while he was in the NHL and he deserved to be there. The only thing that ruined Blackburn was his freak injury.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Okay, everyone needs to read this. A lot of people are confused about the rules about how contracts and sending guys down works for CHL players.

No player who has a contract with a CHL team can play anywhere other than the NHL until their overage year of junior. This means you can't send a guy to the AHL, ECHL, or anywhere else until he's a 20 year old by CHL standards (this is determined strictly by birthyear; for example, this year's "20 year olds" in the CHL are born in 1985, so even though some of them are still 19, and some of them will be 21 before the season ends, they are all considered "20 year olds"). CHL contracts have release clauses for the NHL only.

A player can be sent back to junior from the NHL any time the team wants to. Remember MA Fleury a couple year ago? Played half the season in Pittsburgh, went to the WJs, then went back down to junior.

If a player dresses in 10 or more regular season NHL games his contract starts ticking and years start coming off, but he can still be sent to junior.

If a player dresses for 40 or more regular season NHL games his RFA years start ticking (towards 7 years in the NHL until unrestricted free agency), but he can still be sent to junior.

All this adds up to mean that you can sign a prospect, play him in all your preseason games and up to 9 regular season games, send him back to junior, and no years will come off his contract or his RFA eligibility. You can play him for up to 39 games in the NHL, then send him back to junior, and a year comes off his contract but it doesn't count as the first of the seven years in the NHL to become a UFA. You can even play a guy for 50 or whatever games and send him back to junior if you want, but you lose a year of RFA eligibility towards the seven years and a year off the entry level contract.

In Marc Staal's case specifically, this means he can't play in the AHL for two years, so he will probably play those two years in junior.

ranger108218

Mar 11, 2002
Visit site
If im not mistaken i think that he he could be sent down to the AHL for a few games for Conditioning Assignment. I remember the rangers did it with Blackburn during the olympic break that way he would get some action during the time off.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
staal will eventually be sent back to juniors, only question now is whether he gets sent back before the season starts or if they use the 10 game rule to give him a taste and bit of experience before sending him back so he knows better what he needs to work on to make the team next year...

besides the simple fact that staal needs another year in juniors to put on some muscle, the rangers would also be better served to give the playing time to one of the older more nhl-ready dmen like kondratiev, lampman or pock. no reason to rush staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad