Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign D Tommy Hughes

Green Blob*

Vinny+Guadagnino+Vinny+Guadagnino+Hockey+Game+3wiDacePKhEx.jpg

Seems like a good source to me...

Vinny from the Jersey Shore? Im confused.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
This is clearly Sather's answer to the Iginla trade. We finally made a huge splash by acquiring a game-breaking right defenseman. The missing piece ladies and gentlemen. Carry on. ****ing scrub for the AHL. Nothin more, nothin less. Tortorella is going to need more D options after tonight's shalacking at the hands of the angry midgets in red.

SauceCheese91

Sep 14, 2011
I'll post a bigger review later, but I have season tickets to the London Knights and have gone to pretty much every game this year. Not a player you get super excited about, as he is strictly a stay at home D man. He's got some decent size and grit and could be a good AHL- bottom pairing D at the NHL level. Low risk signing, as the Knights have a history of producing good players and for that matter under the radar players.

Punxrocknyc19*

I'll post a bigger review later, but I have season tickets to the London Knights and have gone to pretty much every game this year. Not a player you get super excited about, as he is strictly a stay at home D man. He's got some decent size and grit and could be a good AHL- bottom pairing D at the NHL level. Low risk signing, as the Knights have a history of producing good players and for that matter under the radar players.

is Brenden Dillon a good comparison??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=7513
he was undrafted signed as a out of the WHL as a 21 year old..

SauceCheese91

Sep 14, 2011
Dan Girardi was a London Knight too

Don't know much about Dillon to be honest, but judging by the stats he is a bit more physical then Hughes. I also wanted to bring up the Girardi comparison as I think they are the same type of player, although Girardi had a bit more offensive upside when he was with the Knights. Hughes is strictly a stay at home D man, great positioning and defensive awareness. He knows how to get physical and he reminds me of a classic pickup of a guy who could add some depth at the AHL or bottom pairing NHL level. But hey Dan Girardi was thought of the same way, maybe even less, so you never know what these low risk guys can turn in to.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Hughes is a big, mobile, stay at home defenseman. He's definitely not much of a factor offensively, and he'll have to improve his first pass out of the zone to reach the NHL level, but he has potential. He's physical when he needs to be and is a smart positional defender. He's a good shot blocker and was a real leader for the Knights this year (wore a letter).

I'm a tad surprised that he got a contract, but I don't think it's a useless signing. He has the potential to develop into a solid bottom pairing guy if he can improve his puck skills to the point where he's able to handle a forecheck at the next level. Defensively, I'm not too worried about him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hughes is a big, mobile, stay at home defenseman. He's definitely not much of a factor offensively, and he'll have to improve his first pass out of the zone to reach the NHL level, but he has potential. He's physical when he needs to be and is a smart positional defender. He's a good shot blocker and was a real leader for the Knights this year (wore a letter).

I'm a tad surprised that he got a contract, but I don't think it's a useless signing. He has the potential to develop into a solid bottom pairing guy if he can improve his puck skills to the point where he's able to handle a forecheck at the next level. Defensively, I'm not too worried about him.

Thanks for the run-down!

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Thanks Brock, your opinions are always appreciated around here, one of HF's best.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just briefly watched him in some game action from earlier this year. He's big and skates really well. Definitely fits our organizational philosophy.

Punxrocknyc19*

Of course !

Dan Girardi's are just growing on tree's and of course we are the team tuned into them !

"He's not a force offensively, but he's a good stay at home that gives you solid defense on the backline". I'm just guessing that was said.

It says his upside is Erksine or Engelland

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It says his upside is Erksine or Engelland

He might be a good player for us some day--I would think the Rangers have taken a very close look at him for a while but whoever wrote that article comparing him to Erskine, Engelland is full of it. He's had two fights in his entire OHL career and didn't do particularly well in either of them. An Erskine or Engelland he ain't. That doesn't mean he isn't physical but both Erskine and Engelland are decent defenders who fight very, very well which allows them to be very mean crease clearers. Hughes doesn't seem to quite fit that job description.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
He might be a good player for us some day--I would think the Rangers have taken a very close look at him for a while but whoever wrote that article comparing him to Erskine, Engelland is full of it. He's had two fights in his entire OHL career and didn't do particularly well in either of them. An Erskine or Engelland he ain't. That doesn't mean he isn't physical but both Erskine and Engelland are decent defenders who fight very, very well which allows them to be very mean crease clearers. Hughes doesn't seem to quite fit that job description.
Sam Noreau is that Erskine type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad