Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign D Tommy Hughes

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
If you look at the Rangers organizational depth at D. It's very thin. Only McIlrath and Klassen in the A are draftees. The rest of vets or guys like Parlett. They need to keep infusing CT with kids that they're trying to develop into NHL talent. Not to mention, they only have around 4 defensemen on the NHL roster that will have a spot next next season for sure. So, they're very, very thin. I wish they could find a few more offensive minded D out there as well. Outside of a long-shot in Andersson - there's no offense to be found.

Punxrocknyc19*

If you look at the Rangers organizational depth at D. It's very thin. Only McIlrath and Klassen in the A are draftees. The rest of vets or guys like Parlett. They need to keep infusing CT with kids that they're trying to develop into NHL talent. Not to mention, they only have around 4 defensemen on the NHL roster that will have a spot next next season for sure. So, they're very, very thin. I wish they could find a few more offensive minded D out there as well. Outside of a long-shot in Andersson - there's no offense to be found.

Klassen was never drafted by anyone undrafted UFA was signed to NHL contract but regressed to an AHL contract.. doubt he makes it.... only if Rangers convinced Valentenko to stay in North America and if tried to sign Pashin....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Klassen was never drafted by anyone undrafted UFA was signed to NHL contract but regressed to an AHL contract.. doubt he makes it.... only if Rangers convinced Valentenko to stay in North America and if tried to sign Pashin....

Didn't seem like Torts cared very much for Valentenko and maybe I'm wrong but I get the idea that Pashnin has burned his bridges with Sather. In either case they might not be good enough anyway. Beacon's commentary on Klassen throughout this season have very positive. He takes care of his own end first and has proven to be very reliable at what he does. Coaches look for consistency.

16 To Stanley*

Don't know why people are complaining about this move. Seems like a good low risk, potential reward player. If he turns into a Girardi or Erskine type it's a steal. If not, move on.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I wouldn't put him in the mold of Erskine. Hughes is much more mobile but not even in the same bracket as Erskine when it comes to toughness. I've been hoping he'd get a deal. If you want to compare him to someone my thought is Marc Methot of the Sens. IMO almost the same player only difference is Methot is better with the puck.

I've watched Hughes with the Knights for the last 4 years(seasons ticket holder). He's a great partner for an offensive defensemen.

Punxrocknyc19*

I wouldn't put him in the mold of Erskine. Hughes is much more mobile but not even in the same bracket as Erskine when it comes to toughness. I've been hoping he'd get a deal. If you want to compare him to someone my thought is Marc Methot of the Sens. IMO almost the same player only difference is Methot is better with the puck.

I've watched Hughes with the Knights for the last 4 years(seasons ticket holder). He's a great partner for an offensive defensemen.

if he turns out to be a Methot type, i wouldnt mind that. lets hope he makes it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad