Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Would have thought O'Reilly's 3 full (>>200 NHL games) ELC seasons from 18>21 consumed his waiver exemption

"If a skater signs his entry-level contract at 18, he will become waiver eligible after playing 160 NHL games or after 5 seasons of being under contract, whichever comes first."

Entry waivers are different.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Would have thought O'Reilly's 3 full (>>200 NHL games) ELC seasons from 18>21 consumed his waiver exemption

"If a skater signs his entry-level contract at 18, he will become waiver eligible after playing 160 NHL games or after 5 seasons of being under contract, whichever comes first."

You're right that ROR was subject to regular waivers at that time, but that is a different kind of waivers. Regular waivers are when a team wants to send a player down (or hopes some other team will take the player off their hands). If Colorado hadn't matched and ROR's contract with Calgary was enforced, ROR would have been subject to waivers just so that he could play in the NHL.

Here is the CBA:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

The rule you are thinking of is on page 71. Go to page 82:

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.

The bold is why ROR didn't require waivers with Colorado, but would have with Calgary.

This rule is why Tkachev would require waivers to play for the Rangers. He isn't Ranger's property. He isn't on any team's reserve list. He would have to clear waivers regardless of which team he signs with. Age and experience have nothing to do with it with regards to this rule.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Ok thanks for the details
I won't take up too much more time.

If NYR signed Tkachev to ELC, and assigned him to HWP, would waivers be required?
Seems to kinda hinge on CBA definition of 'play for the Rangers'
does it mean dresss for NHL team?
or play games under a NHL contract ....

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

If NYR signed Tkachev to ELC, and assigned him to HWP, would waivers be required?
Mazanec had to go through waivers even though he was directly assigned to Hartford.

I don't see why he wouldn't have to go through waivers, AFAIK.

Though if he was signed in the off season, that's a different story. He wouldn't at that point.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

No that is not my interpretation. Anyone picking him of the first waiver would have to send him through waivers to loan him to the AHL. But since there is no such rule for anyone who hasn’t obtained this kind of player through waivers I can’t see why he wouldn’t be threated like any other player on an ELC?

The result is that anyone picking him must plan to play him in the NHL, they could never get him to the AHL. If we sign him we are the only one that possibly can get him to the AHL.

This is getting close to billable hours, ;), but we could safely get Tkachev to the AHL by making a deal with the top team in the waiver draft.

This is how it works, we sign him and send him through waivers. The top team in the waiver drafts takes him, and cannot send him to the AHL since they acquired him through waivers, but if they trade him to us we can. In this position we have acquired him through a trade and can send him through waivers.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The season has already started. Any player not on a team's reserve list, needs to go through entry waivers when signed to a deal.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The article that PB posted kind of makes this all moot anyway. Didn't it say that Tkachev wouldn't be signing in NA until after the 2018-19 season at least?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ola, What is your billable hours rate? :sarcasm:

There is some indication he wants to stay in Russia for another year. But if he wanted to come to the US now and the Rangers wanted to bring him into the organization the other way to do this would be for Hartford to sign him for the 2017-2018 season and when the Rangers can sign players for the 2018-2019 season he signs a contract with the Rangers. In the past few years the Rangers have signed draft choices after January 1 for the following season. If Tkachev is a free agent presumably he could sign a 2018-2019 contract after January 1. But I am not sure about that and would want our Swedish lawyer to give his opinion if his billable rate is not too high!:laugh:

No that is not my interpretation. Anyone picking him of the first waiver would have to send him through waivers to loan him to the AHL. But since there is no such rule for anyone who hasn’t obtained this kind of player through waivers I can’t see why he wouldn’t be threated like any other player on an ELC?

The result is that anyone picking him must plan to play him in the NHL, they could never get him to the AHL. If we sign him we are the only one that possibly can get him to the AHL.

This is getting close to billable hours, ;), but we could safely get Tkachev to the AHL by making a deal with the top team in the waiver draft.

This is how it works, we sign him and send him through waivers. The top team in the waiver drafts takes him, and cannot send him to the AHL since they acquired him through waivers, but if they trade him to us we can. In this position we have acquired him through a trade and can send him through waivers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There may well be a deal there. Windsor will almost certainly sell, they already traded Luchuk. Day was out of the lineup last night for undisclosed reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad