Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The truth is that Ronning looked good in his limited AHL tryout.

While you always have to be careful with overage players, because some guys look like totally different players thanks to that extra year, I think he has a shot as a pro.

The offense is coming along very well this year, but it was actually the other elements of his game - namely is awareness and hustle, that made him possibility. If he can add a little offense to the mix, it only stands to help his chances.

Another kid I have my eye on is Dawson Leedahl. Obviously he's not the most skilled player in the world, but he has a good understanding of what type of player he'll need to be if he wants to make it as a pro.

Dale Weise was the last player I saw who understood the style of play he needed to play at all levels to make the NHL. When he was drafted you could see the type of game he played would translate because he was more willing to do those little things than other guys who used to be skill players.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
The truth is that Ronning looked good in his limited AHL tryout.

While you always have to be careful with overage players, because some guys look like totally different players thanks to that extra year, I think he has a shot as a pro.

The offense is coming along very well this year, but it was actually the other elements of his game - namely is awareness and hustle, that made him possibility. If he can add a little offense to the mix, it only stands to help his chances.

Another kid I have my eye on is Dawson Leedahl. Obviously he's not the most skilled player in the world, but he has a good understanding of what type of player he'll need to be if he wants to make it as a pro.
Isn't Leedahl a sandpaper type of player? We could definitely use that in our bottom six.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dale Weise was the last player I saw who understood the style of play he needed to play at all levels to make the NHL. When he was drafted you could see the type of game he played would translate because he was more willing to do those little things than other guys who used to be skill players.

I would use Dale Weise as a perfect example of the type of player Leedahl would want to emulate and has a chance to become.

I think the Rangers have several guys who have a chance to be good pro players, despite not necessarily "standing out" as much prior to turning pro - Ronning, Leedahl, Lettieri, maybe Fontaine. To a lesser extent, guys like Gettinger and Graves (who received slightly more attention).

The Rangers have done a pretty good job of finding talent, or at least possibilities, from draft slots that don't traditionally carry great odds.

While the percentages are still lower, if they can get get two NHL players from the list above, that's a pretty solid job.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ronning is following the Callahan trajectory almost perfectly, except Callahan was strong, while Ronning is weak. This is why he had to go down back for an overager season after a successful AHL stint: he was too weak physically, it was too risky to let him play against adults. He needs to get much stronger to ever sniff the NHL. You can be short and play in the NHL, you just can't be weak.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
What about him?

Just another guy who produced in the WHL, like St. Croix. Just trying to keep balance on the hype. Definitely good that Ty is producing, but I can’t remember the last guy from the W who even made an NHL regular.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Admiral Vladivostok is virtually out of the play-off race. The team just got a new ownership that's looking into dealing with a very significant outstanding debt. News are confirming that they are looking into disposing of players salaries. Tkachev's name immediately came up. Gorton should get on a phone and negotiate a "transfer fee" to get him immediately to NA.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just another guy who produced in the WHL, like St. Croix. Just trying to keep balance on the hype. Definitely good that Ty is producing, but I can’t remember the last guy from the W who even made an NHL regular.
Understand your larger point and agree. McColgan doesn't really fit with those other guys though. I don't believe he ever even scored at a point per game pace and I think he only scored over 20 goals once.

Our WHL scouting has been pretty poor.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ronning is following the Callahan trajectory almost perfectly, except Callahan was strong, while Ronning is weak. This is why he had to go down back for an overager season after a successful AHL stint: he was too weak physically, it was too risky to let him play against adults. He needs to get much stronger to ever sniff the NHL. You can be short and play in the NHL, you just can't be weak.

Callahan went back for his overage year too and was the first guy cut from Rangers camp the year he turned pro.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I think there is an NHL rule that if a free agent player has signed an overseas contract, plays overseas and comes back to the NHL he would have to clear waivers. If this is correct -- would appreciate anyone else who remembers this rule or thinks this is incorrect -- then signing him know would not do any good because another team likely would claim him. But I agree with the thrust of your argument that it would be good to get him into the system. He seems to have an interest in playing with the Rangers.

Admiral Vladivostok is virtually out of the play-off race. The team just got a new ownership that's looking into dealing with a very significant outstanding debt. News are confirming that they are looking into disposing of players salaries. Tkachev's name immediately came up. Gorton should get on a phone and negotiate a "transfer fee" to get him immediately to NA.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think there is an NHL rule that if a free agent player has signed an overseas contract, plays overseas and comes back to the NHL he would have to clear waivers. If this is correct -- would appreciate anyone else who remembers this rule or thinks this is incorrect -- then signing him know would not do any good because another team likely would claim him. But I agree with the thrust of your argument that it would be good to get him into the system. He seems to have an interest in playing with the Rangers.

Is that you, Mr. Feaster?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Understand your larger point and agree. McColgan doesn't really fit with those other guys though. I don't believe he ever even scored at a point per game pace and I think he only scored over 20 goals once.

Which is why I belive that goalscoring os a better predictor of syccess than points. Neither is perfect, but 50+50 is a lot better than 25+75, even more so than in the NHL. In fact, a lot more so.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Which is why I belive that goalscoring os a better predictor of syccess than points. Neither is perfect, but 50+50 is a lot better than 25+75, even more so than in the NHL. In fact, a lot more so.
I’d agree with this since I don’t think most teams release primary assists to add to the context

Reactions: Rangers in 7

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I gotta be honest with you, coming into this season Ronning reminded me quite a bit of Fast. If you would've asked me what kind of future role he might be able to fill, that's the one I would've picked.

I think i would have said Justin Fontaine as a decent comparable, relentless on the forecheck is what really sticks out with Ronning for me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
McColgan is an awful example. He was a kid who seen as potential pick for the top end of the draft at one point and then fell consistently (as did his production).

St. Croix is also a bad example. St. Croix always looked like one of those guys who seemed like good junior player, and a questionable pro.

Ronning is, in many ways, the opposite. He seems like the kind of kid who might look like a better pro candidate when he's not in juniors.

It's obvious the Rangers like him, but it's also obvious they are giving him time to slow cook.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
McColgan is an awful example. He was a kid who seen as potential pick for the top end of the draft at one point and then fell consistently (as did his production).

St. Croix is also a bad example. St. Croix always looked like one of those guys who seemed like good junior player, and a questionable pro.

Ronning is, in many ways, the opposite. He seems like the kind of kid who might look like a better pro candidate when he's not in juniors.

It's obvious the Rangers like him, but it's also obvious they are giving him time to slow cook.
How is St. Croix a bad example? We were recalling guys who were the offensive catalyst on their team and posted big numbers. That fits St. Croix to a tee. It had nothing to do with who was actually a good, projectable prospect.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How is St. Croix a bad example? We were recalling guys who were the offensive catalyst on their team and posted big numbers. That fits St. Croix to a tee. It had nothing to do with who was actually a good, projectable prospect.

The initial reference, as I read it from Dijock, was that the comparison to St. Croix was to somehow provide a comparison to Ronning's projectability - thus the wording of 'Just another guy who produced in the WHL...'.

From that POV, it's a bad example in the sense that Ronning's attribute is that he's a one trick pony who scores. That was basically St. Croix's profile in a nutshell.

In Ronning's case, what he's doing offensively is actually a little bit of a surprise. He's a hustle and forecheck kind of guy whose size and offensive potential were in question. If he can bring some additional offensive abilities and confidence, to what he already brought, it actually gives him multiple elements with which to work. Not that anyone should expect his offense in an overage season to translate into top line production as a pro, but it does provide reassurances that he's not strictly a zippy, energy guy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The initial reference, as I read it from Dijock, was that the comparison to St. Croix was to somehow provide a comparison to Ronning's projectability - thus the wording of 'Just another guy who produced in the WHL...'.

From that POV, it's a bad example in the sense that Ronning's attribute is that he's a one trick pony who scores. That was basically St. Croix's profile in a nutshell.

In Ronning's case, what he's doing offensively is actually a little bit of a surprise. He's a hustle and forecheck kind of guy whose size and offensive potential were in question. If he can bring some additional offensive abilities and confidence, to what he already brought, it actually gives him multiple elements with which to work. Not that anyone should expect his offense in an overage season to translate into top line production as a pro, but it does provide reassurances that he's not strictly a zippy, energy guy.

The initial post that led to my referencing St. Croix was this:

I’m not sure the Rangers have had a prospect like Ronning who routinely is the driver for his team like this. I can’t remember one.

There have been guys who put up points, but like this?

Dijock only mentioned McColgan.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The initial post that led to my referencing St. Croix was this:

Dijock only mentioned McColgan.

The post I was responding to was this one -

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think there is an NHL rule that if a free agent player has signed an overseas contract, plays overseas and comes back to the NHL he would have to clear waivers. ... it would be good to get him into the system. He seems to have an interest in playing with the Rangers.

this certainly was case with guys with prior NHL contracts
(who were not already on signing team's protected list via prior QO**),
a few years back, i believe Isles lost a recently-signed vet goalie that way,
and there were other examples.

But signing a 22 year-old Tkachev to his first ELC, i do not know if that risk applies.

** a returning veteran must have been on team's list before returning,
like when Zucc had received a Qualifying Offer before going KHL,
so could rejoin NYR after K season ended.
Similar if we try to bring back Jensen after Jokerit's KHL season, we had QO'd him

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The goalie we just recently signed, Mazanec, had to pass through waivers. The same would be true with Tkachev.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The goalie we just recently signed, Mazanec, had to pass through waivers. The same would be true with Tkachev.

I am less certain.
Mazanec is 26 and had 4 prior years of NHL contract history, was no longer waiver exempt.
Tkachev, as 22 yr old NA rookie on ELC, could be waiver exempt. Other young players, signing first NA pro deal after season started, were not waiver exposed.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I am less certain.
Mazanec is 26 and had 4 prior years of NHL contract history, was no longer waiver exempt.
Tkachev, as 22 yr old NA rookie on ELC, could be waiver exempt. Other young players, signing first NA pro deal after season started, were not waiver exposed.

Which players are those? The waiver requirement is dependent on whether or not the player is on the team's reserve list. When Calgary signed ROR to an offer sheet, Colorado matched it. ROR had been playing in the KHL while holding out and the NHL season had already started. Since he ultimately signed with Colorado, no waivers were required. ROR was already on their reserved list because they had tendered him a QO. If Colorado had not matched, Calgary would have had to place ROR on waivers. ROR was only 21 at the time and coming off his ELC. He wasn't subject to normal waivers, but he would have been subject to waivers if Colorado hadn't matched.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Would have thought O'Reilly's 3 full (>>200 NHL games) ELC seasons from 18>21 consumed his waiver exemption

"If a skater signs his entry-level contract at 18, he will become waiver eligible after playing 160 NHL games or after 5 seasons of being under contract, whichever comes first."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad