Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not that anyone cares given that this is now the draft thread, apparently, but Day and Kingston are tied 1-1 after 2. Kingston needs to win tonight or else they fall behind 3-0.

I'm still holding out hope that Day may be an NHLer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know a lot of people don’t like him, but he has taken a few steps forward since being drafted

For me, he's a wildcard.

His natural ability allows him to cover for things at the OHL. I don't really know how it will play at the pro level. I'll be as curious as anyone to see how he does next season.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
For me, he's a wildcard.

His natural ability allows him to cover for things at the OHL. I don't really know how it will play at the pro level. I'll be as curious as anyone to see how he does next season.

I really hope I'm wrong, but every viewing of Day has left me unimpressed with anything outside of his skating and physical gifts.

Sure, those are key components of many successful NHLers, but I just don't see any intelligence to his game.

My viewings have been limited, though, and maybe he just "gets it" under different coaching. I guess I just expected a more mature game from a player that's been in juniors for 5 seasons.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
For me, he's a wildcard.

I can’t disagree with any of this. I think he and Barron are the most interesting prospects in the organization just for the wildcard aspect. I think Day will 100% get time in the NHL just based on how good he is at skating (I always think of McDonagh’s rookie year and how often he would make a mistake in the offensive zone that would lead to an odd man rush, but he was such a good skater that he could negate his mistake by catching the forward before they had a chance to do anything), but I also think he’ll need a few years in the AHL first. My big question is just how many games and at what level of competence.

Reactions: Bozle

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If I were Gorton, I’d set a price for Zuccarello at the draft, and unless that price we’re met, I’d keep him into the season.

No reason to rush this. I don’t think his value is much different between now and then.

Unless he comes out on fire and has a career year (at his age and with the state of the team that will be very unlikely), his value will absolutely take a hit as a 2 month rental vs an entire season. You're also running the risk of him declining even further and that tanking his value.

JG has already messed up the Zucc situation IMO. I'm not saying he should be traded for a pair of 3rds, but if anyone offers up a 1st/2nd and a good prospect this summer that needs to be done.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I can’t disagree with any of this. I think he and Barron are the most interesting prospects in the organization just for the wildcard aspect. I think Day will 100% get time in the NHL just based on how good he is at skating (I always think of McDonagh’s rookie year and how often he would make a mistake in the offensive zone that would lead to an odd man rush, but he was such a good skater that he could negate his mistake by catching the forward before they had a chance to do anything), but I also think he’ll need a few years in the AHL first. My big question is just how many games and at what level of competence.

Based on what I have read about Day's game, he sounds like the kind of guy who could spend time at forward as well.

There were some Dustin Byfuglien comparisons before he was drafted.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've been seeing the notion of using Day as a forward more and more and I'm not sure it's really a fit.

Yeah he has skating and size, but I'm not sure he has thought thought process or hands of forward. This isn't necessarily a scenario where we take a guy with some intriguing offensive attributes and attempt to see if he can translate his skills to a different role.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Based on what I have read about Day's game, he sounds like the kind of guy who could spend time at forward as well.

There were some Dustin Byfuglien comparisons before he was drafted.

Byfuglien really isn't a bad comparison if everything breaks right, but I don't see the aggression in his game that he needs.

Byfuglien doesn't play a very "smart" game, but he's nasty as all hell, and very hard on the puck. If he didn't have that edge, I don't think he'd be anything more than a 7th D/13th F.

Day is way softer in all aspects of his game. Puck watches a lot, and really doesn't make opposing forwards pay for every inch of ice, despite having the size and skating to do so. Hopefully, the organization can coach him up and mold him into a better player starting next season.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's not that we don't like Day. Look, anyone that can help this team especially homegrown on an ELC is welcome, it's just that he's looked like Christian Backman in Traverse City and hasn't been outstanding but good to very good as a junior player.

There's also no physical element to his game.

I'm a lot more excited for Ronning than Day for example. He looked very good at TC and improved tremendously as a Junior players.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
In my limited viewings and highlight scourings of Day, I have more often than not come away underwhelmed. The transition game is the only time when he really shines imo.

If he's gonna make it, it's going to be because he figures out how to play defense well enough to get to the transition game. And if he makes it, he's going to be a hell of an asset.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Byfuglien really isn't a bad comparison if everything breaks right, but I don't see the aggression in his game that he needs.
Byfuglien doesn't play a very "smart" game, but he's nasty as all hell, and very hard on the puck. If he didn't have that edge, I don't think he'd be anything more than a 7th D/13th F.

Day is way softer in all aspects of his game. Puck watches a lot, and really doesn't make opposing forwards pay for every inch of ice, despite having the size and skating to do so. Hopefully, the organization can coach him up and mold him into a better player starting next season.

I think it's a backward take right there - if the only thing that Buff had was his edge then he'd be nothing but 7th D / 13th F. He's a hell of a player in his own right.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Soo lost 3-0. Kitchener back in the series, down 2-1 now. Gettinger was -2 with 4 shots.

Kingston is down 3-0 in their series and look all but dead.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nothing from Day?

Nah, he had an assist the other day but has been quiet otherwise. Kingston is getting their shit kicked in. Off the top of my head I think the games were 7-3, 6-2 and 3-1.

Ugh was kinda hoping he'd come over to na this season. Liberec didn't play all that much last year. Any news on Virta yet?

He had a bad season in a mediocre league. He even had some attitude issues and was sent to the lower-tier league, which is bad. Unless he lights it up next season I'd put the chances of him ever coming to the US at somewhere between slim and none.

I don't think Lakatos will ever make it to NA. He just isn't good enough for the AHL and if the choice is ECHL or Extraliga, I expect him to stay in Europe.

Agreed.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Uhhhhhhhh

Byfuglien scores like 50 odd points per year. Hilarious that someone who does that would be a "7th d/13th forward"

He has a whole lot of skill that translates to points and that is separate from his physical game.

He's basically a rover so he gets caught out of position at times but ultimately his impact is a net positive because of how skilled he is

Reactions: kovazub94

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
He had a bad season in a mediocre league. He even had some attitude issues and was sent to the lower-tier league, which is bad. Unless he lights it up next season I'd put the chances of him ever coming to the US at somewhere between slim and none
Yeah your probably right about that. Just a bit of ashame becausd I liked what I saw after we first drafted him. Thought hed be able to create a decent career as a bottom six kinda guy

Reactions: nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad