Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Watching that Howden goal I'm reminded of Girardi/Staal going down all the time for no reason in a poor attempt to block a pass or play.

Like I could totally see them doing that. I'm pretty sure I actually have seen them do that.

Reactions: Rongomania

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You take them however you can get them - high skill, or a taking advantage of a mistake.

It's important that we have high standards for these kids, but we shouldn't create no-win scenarios either. Not every goal is going to be them showing amazing mastery of the sport while overcoming seemingly impossible odds to score.
His first goal is exactly what people should expect to see frequently from him. He has that knack to always have pucks find him around the net, which is a talent in of itself IMO

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
His first goal is exactly what people should expect to see frequently from him. He has that knack to always have pucks find him around the net, which is a talent in of itself IMO

The Rangers have a handful of prospects, on both forward and defense, that have a knack for positioning and knowing where to be.

Of note, Howden and Andersson in particular tend to understand where to be, and Lindgren has shown himself to be very adept in that department.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gettinger had 2 assists in Soo's big 7-3 win. He has 6 assists in 3 playoff games.

People sleep on this kid, but he's come a long way for a player of his type. He has a long way to go, because a lot of the parts are still raw --- he's still a bit awkward, needs to get stronger, work on balance, drive to high percentage areas, etc.

But if the Rangers are patient, this could surprise some people.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
*shakes fist in anger*

GROOOOOOPPPPPPPP

He's a miss thus far, no getting around it.

It's also a reminder that even if the Rangers draft at an "A" level the next two years, there are going to be misses. Count on it.

Of course, I'm hoping the Rangers 2018 draft can look as promising as Vegas' 2017 draft. THAT would go a very long way.

Reactions: haveandare

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
People sleep on this kid, but he's come a long way for a player of his type. He has a long way to go, because a lot of the parts are still raw --- he's still a bit awkward, needs to get stronger, work on balance, drive to high percentage areas, etc.

But if the Rangers are patient, this could surprise some people.
I also didn't realize he was the captain! Leadership abilities also...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

It's also a reminder that even if the Rangers draft at an "A" level the next two years, there are going to be misses. Count on it.

Of course, I'm hoping the Rangers 2018 draft can look as promising as Vegas' 2017 draft. THAT would go a very long way.
Yeah, it’s a good reminder too that we all need to be patient. Speaking of Vegas, GMGM always had a good eye for talent, so getting that haul doesn’t surprise me. We should try to emulate a similar course unless there’s a good opportunity to move up in the first round.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I also didn't realize he was the captain! Leadership abilities also...

Also not surprising when you look at the Rangers approach more often than not.

We focus on the character they seem to be after, and the Rangers don't exactly shy away from the word either. But I think we also tend to overlook the talent and the skills a lot of these kids have. There's some intriguing talent in place. Whether it blossoms, or how much, or by whom remains to be seen. But it's clearly there.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not Gettinger but it is Soo, from the other night. They were winning in a blowout so they started showing off/showing up the other team. Poor sportsmanship I'd say, but I'd also be taking baseball swings at guys if I played for Saginaw, so what does my opinion matter? Still, one dude scores the Mike Legg goal and then the next dude scores the Malik.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, it’s a good reminder too that we all need to be patient. Speaking of Vegas, GMGM always had a good eye for talent, so getting that haul doesn’t surprise me. We should try to emulate a similar course unless there’s a food opportunity to move up in the first round.

Concerning your last line --- a RHD and a Twinkie?

I think the Rangers have done good with what they've had the last several years, but there's no substitute for first round picks in today's league.

I think they stand a good chance to come away with a haul. It just might not quite look like image people create in their heads prior to the draft.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Concerning your last line --- a RHD and a Twinkie?

I think the Rangers have done good with what they've had the last several years, but there's no substitute for first round picks in today's league.

I think they stand a good chance to come away with a haul. It just might not quite look like image people create in their heads prior to the draft.
Mmmm twinkies. I’m expecting us to go with some off the board picks that we end up loving after the fact.

Look no farther than Morgan Barron

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Mmmm twinkies. I’m expecting us to go with some off the board picks that we end up loving after the fact.

Look no farther than Morgan Barron

I just hope posters can remain calm when we go off the board with some guys in the top 100 or so.

Right now we have 8 picks. If they hold on to all of them, the Rangers will likely go off the map on at least two of those picks.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As long as the team doesn’t go off board with a Zborovsky type pick I’m good
Zbo was probably a round too early. Or, to state it a different way, a round earlier than projected.

That said, yes, if they go off the board I want it to be on a guy with boom potential. High skill but some other concerns. Take someone like Duclair with big talent who slipped, or Buchnevich who falls because of the Russian element and whatever else. Higher upside.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

You're right but every once in a while a team hits on almost everything in a particular draft like the Canadiens with McDonagh, Subban, Pacioretty. It doesn't happen very often though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You're right but every once in a while a team hits on almost everything in a particular draft like the Canadiens with McDonagh, Subban, Pacioretty. It doesn't happen very often though.

Truth be told, they need that kind of draft.

The type where they come away with something like Bouchard, Kravtsov, Bokk, grab some intriguing talent in the second, tap into some magic in the third and beyond and come away with a haul.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Zbo was probably a round too early. Or, to state it a different way, a round earlier than projected.

That said, yes, if they go off the board I want it to be on a guy with boom potential. High skill but some other concerns. Take someone like Duclair with big talent who slipped, or Buchnevich who falls because of the Russian element and whatever else. Higher upside.

Whoever they go for in later rounds, my minimum ask is that the prospect at least be a good skater.

Reactions: nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Truth be told, they need that kind of draft.

The type where they come away with something like Bouchard, Kravtsov, Bokk, grab some intriguing talent in the second, tap into some magic in the third and beyond and come away with a haul.

They have 7 picks in the top 100 in this draft. Their 4th rounder will kind of be around 100. Hitting on just 3 of those guys would be a big deal. The Montoya/Korpikoski year was somewhat similar--we had 3 2nds--Olver, Byers and Dubinsky and a couple or three 3rd's Bahensky, Ryan?--besides Montoya and Korpikoski and the only big deal really was Dubinsky who turned into a pretty good 2nd liner. Korpikoski turned into a 3rd/4th line checker and Montoya a backup goalie. We don't want to do that again....but that year didn't turn out to be a very deep year like this one is promising.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They have 7 picks in the top 100 in this draft. Their 4th rounder will kind of be around 100. Hitting on just 3 of those guys would be a big deal. The Montoya/Korpikoski year was somewhat similar--we had 3 2nds--Olver, Byers and Dubinsky and a couple or three 3rd's Bahensky, Ryan?--besides Montoya and Korpikoski and the only big deal really was Dubinsky who turned into a pretty good 2nd liner. Korpikoski turned into a 3rd/4th line checker and Montoya a backup goalie. We don't want to do that again....but that year didn't turn out to be a very deep year like this one is promising.

Callahan as well.

That was a Malomey/Renney draft. Those guys weren't great at drafting.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Whatever groin/hip ailment Daniel Bernhardt suffered from seems to be unclear, but what is certain is that he's still awaiting surgery for it. What that does to his career long term, who know. He wasn't exactly lighting it on fire as a young player. I believe we hold his rights for next season and then he's outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad