Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Saw that, he's one of few players on Cornell getting into good areas to shoot right now. Not that I'm complaining but the bigger players on Big Red need to step up. Barron has been one of the better players out there.
Yep. Barron is looking good
Brady Tkachuk looking not good

Reactions: Joey Bones

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Thoughts on Barron's ceiling?
Absolute ceiling is unclear because we have to see how he’ll progress. I think he has high upside though with his size/skating/offensive combo. He’s looked real good this game but I’d put off on guessing his ceiling just yet

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Absolute ceiling is unclear because we have to see how he’ll progress. I think he has high upside though with his size/skating/offensive combo. He’s looked real good this game but I’d put off on guessing his ceiling just yet

Thanks, does he have top 6 potential? Why was he drafted so low?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Thoughts on Barron's ceiling?
Based on the couple games I've seen parts of this season, and the scouting reports, I'd definitely say he has "boom" potential. Big, strong, skates pretty good, good offensive instincts. Still raw in terms of fully understanding where he needs to be and what he needs to do, but he had a good Freshman season and will be well-served playing NCAA hockey for another three years. He's a guy that could fail to develop further or really take off and turn into more of a high-end type.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think he was just playing in a weird league, there wasn’t much (if any) press about him and when the rangers picked him I remember the whole thread being like “who??” This is his first real season with some spotlight, so I think that’s why it’s so hard to figure out what his ceiling can be

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lack of exposure I’m guessing due to the league he played in and he was pointless in 5 USHL games with a -3. Never really potted great numbers in any league. Again, I really don’t know though but I’ll be honest, never even heard of him until the Rangers drafted him and usually I know most of the prospects in drafts. Thought it was a throwaway pick and he was picked for decent size only. when I looked him up there was nothing about him. Great pick so far

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Based on the couple games I've seen parts of this season, and the scouting reports, I'd definitely say he has "boom" potential. Big, strong, skates pretty good, good offensive instincts. Still raw in terms of fully understanding where he needs to be and what he needs to do, but he had a good Freshman season and will be well-served playing NCAA hockey for another three years. He's a guy that could fail to develop further or really take off and turn into more of a high-end type.

How's his head? I think that's the most important factor if he can improve or if he'll plateau.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If you just look at where he is now, no, you wouldn't say he has top six potential. But if he develops positively over the next few years, while playing against men and some pretty decent competition, he certainly could become that kind of player. I think he has the tools to get there.

As far as why he fell, I think it was a combination of him being a raw prospect and that he spent his draft year playing Canadian high school hockey. Had he decided to play a full year in the USHL he might have been more highly-regarded. I also think relative to his CSS rating he probably went a round or two lower than he could have. And, sometimes guys just slip.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How's his head? I think that's the most important factor if he can improve or if he'll plateau.
Developing? Like I've seen some highlights were he's made some slick passes and scored from being in the right place, and the couple dozen shifts I've seen he seems to have a decent IQ given his experience and his status as a Freshman. But at the same time you can see he still has some work to do. What's good is he has three good development years ahead of him at an improving program, so he can continue to learn the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino