Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gettinger is going to need some years in the AHL to make it and even then that might not happen.....and his upside is bottom 6 player (and probably 4th liner) if he does. It's kind of a Tambellini, Ryan Gropp kind of player as in--good size but a bit soft and he's not going to drive a line. So if he perseveres and keeps improving areas of his game you might eventually end up with a bigger version of Paul Carey or Matt Puempel--though Carey's a better skater. Worse comes to worse he'll be a decent AHL player--maybe play a few years in Europe.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's a slightly better prospect than Gropp and Tambellini were at the same age, but probably a pretty similar projection. Different hockey players. I guess you could say they are all wingers with good size and their main offensive skill-set was their goal scoring, but I think he's a different player from the other two. Gropp was size+skating+shot. Tambellini was size+shot+hands. Gettinger is size+hands+two way game. I think he's a different hockey player than him, but I think his upside might be similar to that of Vesey, to give an example of a player currently on the team. Maybe a 9th forward, maybe could be a 4th line forward, maybe a 13th forward. It depends how he develops.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The size combined with a lot of these scouting reports makes it sound like Gettinger is Brian Boyle playing in juniors rather than college.

Style, maybe. It's a similar style that Boyle played before he trained to skate under Barbara Underhill, but Boyle was always a better skater and didn't just rest on the ice any time he didn't have the puck. There's a reason why Boyle was a first rounder and Gettinger was a 5th rounder. Before people who can't read jump in to say that it's wrong for me to judge them on their draft position, I am not judging them based on that. I'm judging them on what I saw, but I'm concluding that what I saw confirms why someone would think Boyle is a first rounder and Gettinger is a 5th rounder. Also, Boyle was one of the top college players his own age (among 19-year-old sophomores, 20-year-old juniors, etc). Gettinger is clearly not one of the top guys his age in the Juniors.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hard to say with Ronning until we see how he does in the AHL next season. I wouldn't rule him out yet, like you should do with most players who go back for an overager season, he's done whats needed to maintain prospect status, but I don't think he could do anything more in that league that could make him better than retaining prospect status.

Ronning had an impressive ATO in Hartford though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think he's a slightly better prospect than Gropp and Tambellini were at the same age, but probably a pretty similar projection. Different hockey players. I guess you could say they are all wingers with good size and their main offensive skill-set was their goal scoring, but I think he's a different player from the other two. Gropp was size+skating+shot. Tambellini was size+shot+hands. Gettinger is size+hands+two way game. I think he's a different hockey player than him, but I think his upside might be similar to that of Vesey, to give an example of a player currently on the team. Maybe a 9th forward, maybe could be a 4th line forward, maybe a 13th forward. It depends how he develops.

I can see Gettinger (if his stars align rightly) getting to where Vesey is now but I don't see him getting any further. I expect (hope) Vesey is going to improve and get better than he is now with more experience. Gettinger is not going to walk into NHL job like Vesey did as a first year pro. I'm thinking he's needing 3-4-5 years and maybe never. Just not going to happen very quickly for him. Granted Vesey turned pro at a later age than Gettinger will but even so he made the NHL off of his first camp with a very good team and scored 16 goals as a rookie. He just has more going for him. On a number of lesser NHL teams Vesey right now would be probably be a 2nd/3rd line tweener. The Rangers being a stronger team than most he's pretty much between 3rd/4th liner.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You're wrong, as usual... Gettinger is a good skater for his size.

If I was wrong he'd be on the WJC team and would have been a much higher pick. he does everything else well. his complete lack of skating will keep him from getting very far.

by the way wrong as usual? was I wrong on bereglazov? how bout when in traverse I said andersson does not look ready? try to be somewhat objective and not let your bias show.... as usual

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He's not been in the last few games for Soo so i'm assuming that he's injured, that could be why he's not on the WJC camp? Also, Team USA has a lot of competition for the slots. "complete lack of skating" is objectively wrong. Yes, as usual... Even a blind hen can find a golden corn...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He's not been in the last few games for Soo so i'm assuming that he's injured, that could be why he's not on the WJC camp? Also, Team USA has a lot of competition for the slots. "complete lack of skating" is objectively wrong. Yes, as usual... Even a blind hen can find a golden corn...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
um no he wasn't invited to camp because he's not very good. at best he's a 4th liner on that team but since as I mentioned he skates like hugh jessiman he won't be on the US team. that wasn't a blatant lie as you so whiningly threw out there. its the truth.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think he probably just got cut, but he was close to making the camp and he hasn't played since so can't rule an injury out... And his skating really isn't that bad, it really is "good for his size" skating.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I would've been stunned if Getty made Team USA. He's not even close to being one of the top dozen American U20 forwards.

When he's buried in the ECHL next year, nobody will remember the pimping of this guy that is happening right now. He's bad. Tolerable with the puck, but disasterous without.

Reactions: Lays

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2012 draft is looking decent. We got a top 4 D and a good 4C out of that draft. We didn't have a 3, 6 or 7 in that draft, but got about what a team should expect out of a draft. Efficient drafting in rounds 1 and 2.

Reactions: Ola and Irishguy42

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I would've been stunned if Getty made Team USA. He's not even close to being one of the top dozen American U20 forwards.

When he's buried in the ECHL next year, nobody will remember the pimping of this guy that is happening right now. He's bad. Tolerable with the puck, but disasterous without.

rarely do we agree but you are spot on here.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For all those so adamant now that Gettinger was not going to make the U.S. team - where were you at the end of the U.S. Team summer camp when he survived the first round of cuts and finished on the 3rd line? Unless there's a context to that camp that was not stated (or that was somehow missed) how do you not expect a 3rd liner to make it if he has done nothing but continue improving?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
2012 draft is looking decent. We got a top 4 D and a good 4C out of that draft. We didn't have a 3, 6 or 7 in that draft, but got about what a team should expect out of a draft. Efficient drafting in rounds 1 and 2.

Maybe. I'm not sure everyone is completely sold on Nieves being the 4c of the future. He's been good there but he's a relatively brainless player with size and speed which tends to translate better to the wing long term in the NHL.

I'm glad he is starting to take on more PK responsibilities, however.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Maybe. I'm not sure everyone is completely sold on Nieves being the 4c of the future. He's been good there but he's a relatively brainless player with size and speed which tends to translate better to the wing long term in the NHL.

I'm glad he is starting to take on more PK responsibilities, however.

I've been fine with Nieves. A lot of people don't like +/- but when your 4th line center is a +9 in 16 games played it tells me that the 4th line isn't being scored against very much and not being scored against is mission No. 1 for any 4th line. Saying that I don't think he's a dumb player but he's not an overly creative offensive player and it hurts that he's not much of a finisher. I think he's going to be primarily a center at least this year though a future mostly as a wing is a possibility too.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
For all those so adamant now that Gettinger was not going to make the U.S. team - where were you at the end of the U.S. Team summer camp when he survived the first round of cuts and finished on the 3rd line? Unless there's a context to that camp that was not stated (or that was somehow missed) how do you not expect a 3rd liner to make it if he has done nothing but continue improving?
That was just a mirage of meaningless summer hockey, no one actually believes this took place.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been fine with Nieves. A lot of people don't like +/- but when your 4th line center is a +9 in 16 games played it tells me that the 4th line isn't being scored against very much and not being scored against is mission No. 1 for any 4th line. Saying that I don't think he's a dumb player but he's not an overly creative offensive player and it hurts that he's not much of a finisher. I think he's going to be primarily a center at least this year though a future mostly as a wing is a possibility too.
Agreed. I like Nieves, but maybe I'm biased because I've been pumping his tires for years now. He's a good player, works hard, maybe not so great hockey sense, but good speed, he's strong, and defensively responsible. And of course he's on an ELC which helps. You really need guys like Nieves to contribute on the bottom lines so you can spend your financial resources elsewhere.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gettinger was a long shot whose developed nicely for a fifth round pick.

His offensive upside is fairly limited, but as others have stated he has a shot to be a fourth liner with an outside (though remote) shot at being a third liner.

But his game is very much a work in progress and he's more of a long-term project.

He has to work on strength, he has to work on his overall game and consistency. But again, for a fifth round pick, he's progressing well.

Reactions: eco's bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Considering the number of picks we had, that would be a really solid draft.

It's also something to consider when we look at a lot of the 2013-2016 drafts. We can't really view them through the same prism as some of our other drafts. Just the absence of a first round pick alone has a significant impact on the likelihood of finding a mainstay NHL player.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agreed. I like Nieves, but maybe I'm biased because I've been pumping his tires for years now. He's a good player, works hard, maybe not so great hockey sense, but good speed, he's strong, and defensively responsible. And of course he's on an ELC which helps. You really need guys like Nieves to contribute on the bottom lines so you can spend your financial resources elsewhere.

I've not always been a big fan of Nieves. He's found a niche with this team and is performing well though and I'm not going to argue against that. He's fitting in in a positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad