Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 6.27.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Don't tell K27 that

he has always been listed at 6'1...the argument that @Kovalev27 has made has literally been that shesterkin and georgiev are both the exact same height as henrik lundqvist which is 6'1 which is on the smaller side for goalies these days. it obviously didn't hurt hank but thats because hank is special. he never tried to claim that they were under 6'

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
what is this crap yeah??? It´s unwatchable
If Dolan is really this strapped for cash I know we can get Ak and a small panel of HFers to do the announcing for free and I know at least 8000 girls around 22-25 years old who can stream video from a work desk with HD quality. I-I know them through a friend.

But seriously...when random camgirls in Ecaudor can stream with better quality (in a closet...or in a cave with a box of scraps) then the goddamn NY Rangers organization can in 2019...

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
He is one to watch for sure. Question I have for those that watch him, is that while being big, does he play a big man's game? Please note, this is not to ask if he is a Luccic clone.

I confess to knowing essentially nothing about him, but could someone give me an assessment of Morgan Barron?

Thanks in advance.

I'm here guys.

@True Blue He's definitely not Lucic, but he definitely can play a big mans game. He's very strong on the puck especially in the corners and on the wall. It's definitely not his best attribute, but he's definitely more aggressive then Kevin Hayes was at that point in their college careers.

As for the overall assessment, Barron is a big strong playmaking winger/center. He has played mostly wing but his impact in all facets is more akin to a center's and he's taken a fair few amount of faceoffs. He is defensively responsible and a solid PKer which is impressive given Cornell's typical reliance on vets for those roles (He was the only underclassman to PK up front). He's also really good at causing turnovers especially from behind. He definitely exceeded expectations his freshman year setting a record for games with a point to start a career with 7. Expectations going into this year were higher and he exceeded those with the highest scoring season for an individual at Cornell since 2009-10 with 34 points. Given the team setup for next year I think the expectation should be in the 38-42 point range.

Strengths: Playmaking and vision is his best skill by far. He has a very good college shot and is the trigger man on their PP(Which like the Rangers has had its ups and downs). His physical play is also definitely a strength as well. I would also add his defensive awareness and his straight line speed as well which really help with those pick pockets. Defensively he's still learning but probably one of the more advanced prospects outside the pros given Cornell's setup.

Weaknesses: Edgework is by far his biggest weakness. He can get turned a bit too often for my liking and his change of direction is only slightly above average for his size. Stickhandling is the other big one. He's pretty solid but in the pros he's never going to wow with it and isn't really able to open up space with moves. I've noticed it most in 1v1 situations where he just can't consistently beat guys with moves.

Finally he has a very similar thing with guys like Nash and Kreider and sometimes Hayes, where there are shifts or games where they look like their the best hockey player on the ice, but other times they can be a little invisible. The one difference is that he's a little more Kreider in that he at least looks like he's trying.

I think his upside is Kevin Hayes with a better motor and slightly worse stickhandling. Realistically I think he's a better skating Brian Boyle.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I'm here guys.

@True Blue He's definitely not Lucic, but he definitely can play a big mans game. He's very strong on the puck especially in the corners and on the wall. It's definitely not his best attribute, but he's definitely more aggressive then Kevin Hayes was at that point in their college careers.

As for the overall assessment, Barron is a big strong playmaking winger/center. He has played mostly wing but his impact in all facets is more akin to a center's and he's taken a fair few amount of faceoffs. He is defensively responsible and a solid PKer which is impressive given Cornell's typical reliance on vets for those roles (He was the only underclassman to PK up front). He's also really good at causing turnovers especially from behind. He definitely exceeded expectations his freshman year setting a record for games with a point to start a career with 7. Expectations going into this year were higher and he exceeded those with the highest scoring season for an individual at Cornell since 2009-10 with 34 points. Given the team setup for next year I think the expectation should be in the 38-42 point range.

Strengths: Playmaking and vision is his best skill by far. He has a very good college shot and is the trigger man on their PP(Which like the Rangers has had its ups and downs). His physical play is also definitely a strength as well. I would also add his defensive awareness and his straight line speed as well which really help with those pick pockets. Defensively he's still learning but probably one of the more advanced prospects outside the pros given Cornell's setup.

Weaknesses: Edgework is by far his biggest weakness. He can get turned a bit too often for my liking and his change of direction is only slightly above average for his size. Stickhandling is the other big one. He's pretty solid but in the pros he's never going to wow with it and isn't really able to open up space with moves. I've noticed it most in 1v1 situations where he just can't consistently beat guys with moves.

Finally he has a very similar thing with guys like Nash and Kreider and sometimes Hayes, where there are shifts or games where they look like their the best hockey player on the ice, but other times they can be a little invisible. The one difference is that he's a little more Kreider in that he at least looks like he's trying.

I think his upside is Kevin Hayes with a better motor and slightly worse stickhandling. Realistically I think he's a better skating Brian Boyle.
Definitely :p

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thanks. Appreciate the color. Realistically speaking, I think that while it's great to dream about the upside, I would happily take the realistic version.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Was at the scrimmage today, tough to see everything though

- Miller is absolutely huge, someone just posted that he told a reporter he grew more this past year and is 6'5...i believe it.
- Kravtsov annd Kakko were good, Kakko scored a goal off the post right in front of the net, and Kravtsov made a nice touch pass for a goal, plus he scored his famous 5 hole goal in the SO.
- Thought Hunter Skinner had a very nice game on defense, scored 2 goals from the point, i'm interested to see how he does in the NCAA next season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

- Miller is absolutely huge, someone just posted that he told a report he grew more this past year and is 6'5...i believe it.
- Kravtsov annd Kakko were good, Kakko scored a goal off the post right in front of the net, and Kravtsov made a nice touch pass for a goal, plus he scored his famous 5 hole goal in the SO.
- Thought Hunter Skinner had a very nice game on defense, scored 2 goals from the point, i'm interested to see how he does in the NCAA next season.

How's Miller's mobility? While we drool about a player getting bigger and bigger, I always worry a bit that it could mess with his skating.

Leslie Treff was intrigued by Hunter Skinner as well

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How's Miller's mobility? While we drool about a player getting bigger and bigger, I always worry a bit that it could mess with his skating.

Honestly, it was a little tough to focus in on Miller except when he was on offense, I was on the right side of the rink and he played defense on the left side the whole game (they never switched sides). When he was on offense he looked like a good and fluid skater.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

I'm telling you he's every bit of that.

- Miller is absolutely huge, someone just posted that he told a reporter he grew more this past year and is 6'5...i believe it.

yeah, i'm pretty adamant about it because it's just very clear to me as I stood and spoke with him.

He's 6'5+ and I wouldn't be surprised if they call it 6'6 or 6'7 in the future. "listed HT/WT" - take what you will for it, I don't really care. Miller is a physical freak. Anaheim will be cursing us for years; shrewd move to leap in front to snag him at 22.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

Excellent skater, excellent mobility. Looks more like a dancer or wing forward. Could probably play left back too. Elite athlete. Physical freak.

*reminder - he was a multi-sport Has athlete, didn’t play D on ice until age 15/16. His marketing potential is also enormous, but that’s a different conversation.

Last edited:

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston

Some people have said that he was the best skater at camp

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

He’s an outstanding skater. Along with his neutral zone play (which is very unique) it’s his best attribute.

I know his coach knows better, but based on my viewings of Miller I still think he’s a few years from the NHL (which was always likely the plan anyway). He still looks very raw to me, which isn’t surprising given that he continues to grow and also started a new position rather recently.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah I know his scouting report, just wondering if people watching him in camp and with the news of him growing a bit more noticed any downsides to his size on his mobility

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
yeah I know his scouting report, just wondering if people watching him in camp and with the news of him growing a bit more noticed any downsides to his size on his mobility

The mobility and balance issues usually only effect the big guys who grow a ton in a very short period of time.

He was what, 6'4" when he was drafted? An inch isn't going to make much of a difference.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Won't lie. I could see NYR using an ELC for Nick Jones....

And I won’t lie, I am not a scout but N. Jones looked like he belonged. Insignificant sample size, but I would have thought he was a draftee. Hartford contributor, I would think.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Was at the prospect camp today

Not sure how Miller is 6’5. If he’s 6’5 then Edstrom is 7’0

Miller has a great stride which indicates power legs IMO. He looks thin. Nice wrist shot. He needs another year to develop. Strong kid among kids. He needs some time to grow

Barron is huge. Nice shot and can tell he let up on hits. He could have unloaded on a few teammates yet hitting was minimal

Edstrom looks like a young Brian Boyle

Fox and Lundkvist are twins. Both have crisp passes and a bit smaller. I don’t see a Zubov blast in either but they certainly are play makers

Zachary Jones had a good day. Hard in the corners and made some plays. Free agent invite Alex Wheelan goes hard into the corners too

Eric Ciccoloni has some wheels. I don’t know how great his hands are but he has a little Hagelin in him. He was aggressive

Robertson moves well. He’s a big kid. Moves the biscuit well and makes decisions quick. Heck, a lot of players were quick today. You cannot tell Rykov is much heavier than Robertson b/c the look the same size yet Rykov was visibly stronger in the corner (although I couldn’t tell which wing was on him)

Kravtsov is the best player on the ice. Pass between legs, shoot out goal was brilliant, floats around the ice.

Shesterkin can puck handle ( correction, it was Tyler Wall) Gone are the days of a goalie who is lost with the puck behind the net. He actually stick handled around an oncoming prospect and made an outlet pass.

Rykov is one big goalie

Kappo looked tired today. I’d say he huge but he has company as several players are just as large.

Pretty loaded camp and a lot of potential which needs to grow. Very young group

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3 and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad