Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #2

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I believe the line of thinking is: if the player with "size" or who "lacks high end skill" can develop other areas of their game they will be infinitely more valuable than the flawed (size, defensive play, physicality) offensive perimeter dynamo.

Players with top-flite talet with other deficiencies are available on the trade and FA market each summer. Alex Semin is a top-10 NHL talent on offensive game alone. He was available this summer for only a one year commitment.

The players that rarely, if ever, become available via trade or FA are the obvious superstars and the players who combine defensive play, leadership, and physicality with top-6 skill. The rare exception being a guy like Mike Richards but think him, Kesler, Backes, Callahan, Dustin Brown, TJ Oshie, Ryan O'Reilly, Morrow, etc.

The odds of that happening are admittedly slim, but it can be worth taking the chance because there is almost no opportunity to acquire those players otherwise. Not to mention having a safer "floor".

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The Rangers have had a philosophy of filling in their depth from within. They feel they can acquire a few top end players to offset the hard working blue collar players they develop. I don't see how it hasn't worked up to this point.

The drafting philosophy you want to divert from was the reason the Rangers were able to acquire Nash and not skip a beat.

They want players who will play Ranger hockey. That's hard nosed, 2way hockey. They take chances on players later in the draft and use their higher picks to draft more sure fire players. Size is a factor because of the necessity to play that style I described above. Unfortunately a player like Grimaldi would find that difficult

That's not necessarily a bad philosophy when you've got the cash assets, history, and market to lure the big names. While the signing megastars route didn't work for the Rangers in the late 90s and early 2000s when they were only signing stars, now that they've begun to build a solid core of hard working talented 2nd and 3rd liners, the "icing on the cake" approach to FA does seem to be working.

Still, you'd like to have a home-grown elite top line player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That's not necessarily a bad philosophy when you've got the cash assets, history, and market to lure the big names. While the signing megastars route didn't work for the Rangers in the late 90s and early 2000s when they were only signing stars, now that they've begun to build a solid core of hard working talented 2nd and 3rd liners, the "icing on the cake" approach to FA does seem to be working.

Of course you would. The Rangers have Hank, McDonagh, Girardi and Staal. All players that other teams would clearly covet who are home grown. Callahan may be in that group as well. Stepan has a chance to get there.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

Extremely difficult to obtain when you don't pick in the top five.

SupersonicMonkey*

Hagelin having a good full season in the NHL is worth more than Miller having a nice few games at the WJC. Hagelin had more points per game for the Rangers last year than Miller got for the Whale this year, and it's not as if he's a slouch defensively. Hagelin all the way here.

Miller is also 19 playing in professional hockey.

Stats are not how player development work. Its just not.

Hagelin is further along in his development. He's also half a decade older than Miller.

Miller by FAR has more potential than Hagelin.

"Worth more than having a few nice games". More drivel.

SupersonicMonkey*

Maybe as a two-way guy, but not as someone who's a significant offensive threat. I see him more as a tweener, someone like Anisimov (not in terms of style, just ability).

Wrong.

You gather this by judging a 19 year old in his first half a season in pro hockey?

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Hagelin, add Hrivik. As good as Lindbergh is doing, I can't get myself to stop doubting he can continue at this level offensively. He always has been solid on the defensive side. He should be an option after next voting round, though.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I voted Miller because I don't think he is far off from being an NHLer and that he will have a greater impact. Though I think both will have decent NHL careers.

Add Lindberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad