Rumor: Rangers One of Many to Extend a Tryout to Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Cap space won't be an issue. If we end up signing him, that means someone else will be in Hartford. It will basically be a wash capwise. The real issue would be the 50 contract limit, but assuming Duclair slides, we could fit him in.

I'd rather not have him over a rookie, but it's only a tryout. No sense in worrying about it until we see how it plays out.

I really don't see why the team needs this. There's been significant turnover from last year and a lot of new faces are going to be in camp already. Plus, there are plenty of prospects knocking at the door too. I rather see the coaching staff work with players already in the organization than give another lost soul a tryout. I just don't see the need.

And someone should edit the title of this thread--nowhere does it say that the Rangers are one of "many" who are giving Malone a tryout.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
So ****ing stupid. He's washed up, add in the cocaine thing, and why even bother with the potential headache for a ****ing fourth liner?

Who cares? Its a tryout?

Unless you think cocaine addict Ryan Malone is going to turn the entire roster into a bunch of druggies, that is.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I really don't see why the team needs this. There's been significant turnover from last year and a lot of new faces are going to be in camp already. Plus, there are plenty of prospects knocking at the door too. I rather see the coaching staff work with players already in the organization than give another lost soul a tryout. I just don't see the need.

And someone should edit the title of this thread--nowhere does it say that the Rangers are one of "many" who are giving Malone a tryout.
UFA Ryan Malone has reportedly spoken with the Rangers.*(Star Tribune,*via Jefferson and Michael)

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Malone “looked good” while skating in Minnesota at the Octagon Hockey Camp and could get a training camp tryout.*(Star Tribune,*via Jefferson and Michael)

The Ranges have reportedly done “extensive homework” on Malone and have spoken with him about a potential training camp tryout or two-way deal. It isn’t known if the Rangers talks with Malone occurred before the team signed Kevin Hayes.*(Inside Pittsburgh Sports,*via Jefferson)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Absolutely no downside to a move like this. The more legit competition in camp, the better. Malone is probably washed up, but his last gasp might give a couple of our prospects the kick in the pants they need to keep pushing themselves. Make everyone earn their spots.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Malone looks to be over the hill at this point in his career, but there's absolutely no harm in giving him an invite. The more the merrier when it comes to people competing for spots at camp. Worst case scenario is he comes in, looks awful, and you say thanks but no thanks. No harm. And who knows, maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and he looks like he did a couple years ago and you sign him for $900k.

This. Common sense prevails.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I'm all for a tryout. We've added some great players to our roster by giving them a chance, many of them recently. Nothing to lose.

This notion that he's a coke-head because he was caught with 1.3 grams is hilarious. That's not a crazy amount, and more importantly he will assuredly be tested before getting a deal and likely tested again down the line. Metabolites can be detected in hair samples for a long time. He's not gonna risk that if he's serious about coming back to the NHL, and if he does he'll be quickly discovered and ousted. He's not going to walk into a locker room and start cutting up lines people.

That said, I sincerely hope he doesn't get a spot over a kid just because he's a vet. I trust management to make the right decision here. The Glass contract kinda worries me but everything else has been pretty good so there's some faith.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Maybe a tryout to get a look at the guy...

...to decide if he'll be a good fit in Hartford. If he's clean, he can be a solid leader and someone to throw punches so McIlrath doesn't have to.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Absolutely no downside to a move like this. The more legit competition in camp, the better. Malone is probably washed up, but his last gasp might give a couple of our prospects the kick in the pants they need to keep pushing themselves. Make everyone earn their spots.
I think it's the opposite, I see no upside.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Malone is a big body that can replace Boyle on the 4th line. Malone would most likely put up the same numbers as Boyle as well. COuld be a win win as long as he stays free of incident off the ice.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tanner glass is going to play on the 4th line everyday people start wrapping your head around it. AV wanted him here to play

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm okay with this. He'll be expected to earn his spot, just like the other players he'll be competing with if he comes to camp for the Rangers. It's good for the young guys to compete against veteran NHL players rather than just other rookies.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
if a guy is fit an able to play, why not bring him in!?!

so many players have issues, Malone certainly isnt the first or last.. DO people understand what training camp is? its about bringing players in, creating competition and building your team for a long season and run.. no harm no faul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad