News Article: Rangers Off to Outstanding Start

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We had a little puck luck in our 2 wins and no puck luck last night. We have played fairly well. I actually thought last night was our best game.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I didn't see the same speed last night as in the previous 3 games. Part of it was Detroit's team speed matching the Rangers, but I didn't think the effort was bad. Jimmy Howard stopped 4 breakaways and 2 posts were hit, so that's another game they could have won.

What the hell is with that dude playing out of his mind at MSG and sucking everywhere else?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One can look at some rosy stats. But there are other, worrisome ones.

Yes, they have scored a good amount of goals. However, they have also given up a good amount of goals. The PP still is inept and the PK has been middling. All early of course, but the special teams issues have haunted the Rangers for over a year. And AV's PP has been pathetic through out his tenure.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The PK hasn't really looked mediocre. Idk what games you guys are watching. Maybe a few hiccups, but it's looked pretty good.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Can someone give me an assessment of how Zibanejad has played so far.

Rangers 2nd best forward outside of his linemate Kreider...who I think you can legitimately make the argument that his center (Zib) has created a lot of time and space for him.

Zib has been better than Brassard was for us last year...unquestionably.

but, hes not without his warts...cant seem to hit the net with his blast of a shot, and its costing us offensive zone time as his pucks zoom around and out of the zone. also has missed a few chances to take the puck in by unselfishly passing it to Kreider.

honestly I think by the end of the season Zib will be an all-star level player.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not sure how to gauge this team just yet. Offensively, they are very exciting. Defensively? Meh.

I think what gives me the most hope in the early going is this team seems to be able to take a punch. In both wins, their leads were cut and they responded. In both losses they battled hard and carried play.

Last season, there'd be far too many 3-4 minute blitzkriegs from the other team, and the Rangers largely couldn't recover.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Rangers 2nd best forward outside of his linemate Kreider...who I think you can legitimately make the argument that his center (Zib) has created a lot of time and space for him.

Zib has been better than Brassard was for us last year...unquestionably.

but, hes not without his warts...cant seem to hit the net with his blast of a shot, and its costing us offensive zone time as his pucks zoom around and out of the zone. also has missed a few chances to take the puck in by unselfishly passing it to Kreider.

honestly I think by the end of the season Zib will be an all-star level player.

I am hoping that by year's end, Kreider and Zib establish themselves as legitimate 1st liners.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I am hoping that by year's end, Kreider and Zib establish themselves as legitimate 1st liners.

i think kreider has been a first liner for a while now..his issue has been finishing..but hes had more chances than anyone for the past few years.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
One can look at some rosy stats. But there are other, worrisome ones.

Yes, they have scored a good amount of goals. However, they have also given up a good amount of goals. The PP still is inept and the PK has been middling. All early of course, but the special teams issues have haunted the Rangers for over a year. And AV's PP has been pathetic through out his tenure.

Yeah, why would we want to think positively when we have an opportunity to think negatively. Do you ever look at things from the bright side?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
2-2... out standing? I'd say they look better offensively than I thought but worse defensively which is really saying something

Considering we outplayed the two teams we lost to. The record is not the be all end all when you're 4 games in (and the sport isn't football).

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
2-2... out standing? I'd say they look better offensively than I thought but worse defensively which is really saying something

Played better in the 2 losses than they played in the 2 wins.

If it wasn't for garbage goaltending the Rangers could easily be 4-0.

Last edited:

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Considering we outplayed the two teams we lost to. The record is not the be all end all when you're 4 games in (and the sport isn't football).

Agree, it is a long season. Both losses should have been wins. Once the king starts playing like he can and the team D works out some kinks, this team can be fighting for 1-3 in the east.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Agree, it is a long season. Both losses should have been wins. Once the king starts playing like he can and the team D works out some kinks, this team can be fighting for 1-3 in the east.

The Metro looks week. Barring injuries I'll be disappointed if we don't get the 3 seed. Then against we'll likely play the Pens/Caps. So maybe a higher WC seed would be better again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad