Confirmed with Link: Rangers Name Alain Vigneault Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarretJoseph*

Will reserve judgement until next season. No point stating something ridiculously negative or supportive about this hiring when the majority of us don't watch Vancouver games.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks! Any other Vigneault insider jokes? I know about him laughing hysterically at Vern Fiddler
Does he have hot daughters? :D

He'll use a coin to make goaltender decisions. However, with your choices being Lundqvist and Biron, I suspect AV will switch to a one-sided coin.

Kershaw

AV will be a fine coach here IMO, I just think he'll get the short end of the stick by 3 yrs time when the Rangers don't make a significant post-season run. Another coach who is vilified for not coaching a flawed roster to become championship-lite.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
AV will be a fine coach here IMO, I just think he'll get the short end of the stick by 3 yrs time when the Rangers don't make a significant post-season run. Another coach who is vilified for not coaching a flawed roster to become championship-lite.

All an outsider (with knowledge of AV, but limited knowledge about the Rangers) needs to do is look at your roster (on paper), and see that much of the players should fill the "roles" that he looks for in a team... This is a good decision for AV as well...

It should work... He should be able to get lots of wins with that roster... It's a good fit for AV as well...

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Yes! Yes! YES!

This is what had to be done. Two times under his leadership Vancouver led the West in goals for. He even accomplished this once in the East with Montreal.

Nash, Steps, Cally, Kreider, Hags, Brass... get ready to PRACTICE THAT! :handclap:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
When we hired Torts, I wanted Laviolette. When we hired Vigneault, I wanted Ruff.

Better than Mess or Stevens. I hope I'm wrong here.

Welcome to NY, AV.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Glad Sather's coin toss went the other way...a different bounce and it could very well have been Messier/Leetch as I had heard from a credible source a couple weeks ago.

Sources from the Boston area where Brian Leetch makes his home told The Post the Hall of Fame defenseman would likely join the Rangers’ coaching staff as an assistant if Messier is hired.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rang...pressed_with_vigneault_PbZJ4Bl9knGEiHHqroIykL

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Aka my prediction is something that will happen based on my unfounded beliefs.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Asked around on the nucks board

The most agonizing thing about AV is his tendency to retreat to his comfort zone when things get tough. Not only will the system the team is playing suddenly become very defensive, but he'll fall back to his most common roster compositions, match-up choices, and always pick the vet over the young guy. Probably what ultimately lost him the series against the Sharks and his job.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I said this on this board after Torts was fired; Vigneault is a top-5 coach in the league. The Rangers are a perfect team for him. You guys IMO are going to win a cup with AV behind the bench.

His shelf life simply ran out in Vancouver, but there is no way we get a better coach to replace him. Things that irked Canucks fans were way overblown. Common myths include:

-Not giving Keith Ballard a chance. If you want to know what really happened, check out posts like this in that thread. MS in particular has a good handle on the situation.

-That post above covers another common myth, AV's love for Aaron Rome. Rather than loving the fact that a no-name player could come out of nowhere and perform at such a high level for the team was completely lost. Rome should have been lauded for saving Gillis' ass and outperforming Ballard despite costing a fraction of the amount. Instead, this "AV/Rome love affair" meme started. While it led to some funny posts, it has no hockey bearing. AV is not going to play some AHL scrub over Marc Staal, unless it is deserved.

-Can't work with young players. I don't like to say this, but Zack Kassian simply wasn't ready to keep up with the Sedins this year. If you want examples of AV with young players, realize that the Sedins went from second liners to Art Ross winners under AV. Kesler went from a guy who "couldn't break a pane of glass with his shot" to a 40-goal scorer. He doesn't throw raw rookies into roles beyond their capabilities, and demands that they have a defensive conscious. This drives fans crazy at times, but makes for better hockey players.

Really, my only gripe with Vigneault at all is his tendency to often not try obvious line combinations, but that's something that is very hard to comment on from a fan's perspective. Most of us thought Roy-Higgins was a duo that never should've been broken up, but AV rarely played them together. Raymond never worked with Kesler, but that duo always stuck together. He never really had the balls to split up the Sedins, even when the lineup needed an obvious shakeup. But these are things that every fanbase has gripes about when it comes to coaching.

Anyways, congrats on getting Vigneault as a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad