Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning: Thursday, November 19 at 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Discussions of the last game are over in the Post-Game Thread and we don't have a new one coming up for a while, and it will be a big one against the Blots. Tampa just lost and is now under .500. (Unfortunately, the Habs scored with 3 minutes to go to send the game into OT where they won.)

The Rangers will be ranked #1 in the NHL by ESPN. Need to stay there by stomping down on the Blots.

blue_ink_blot_small_square_tile-ra69fdb5f19794a7181738adefbc81fcf_agtk1_8byvr_324.jpg

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Lightning have been garbage all season, but I'm sure they will play amazing against the Rangers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's unbelievable we end up with so many back-to-backs only to have 4+ days in between games in recent weeks at least twice.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
LOLOL with their loss tonight, the blots are 3-7-2 in their last 12 games....

Holy mother.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Is it crazy to think they overachieved and went on a Cinderella run? Or is it just a bad start and they haven't recoverd from losing to the Hawks yet?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They're banged up and haven't really played well.

I wouldn't be too quick to dance on their graves just yet, the Rangers team was basically a .500 club before taking off last December once they got healthy. Not saying that Tampa will go on a Ranger like run once they get key players back, but I'd be floored if they're not a playoff team.

Yzerman will rue the day he signed Ryan Callahan though.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Is it crazy to think they overachieved and went on a Cinderella run? Or is it just a bad start and they haven't recoverd from losing to the Hawks yet?

Could be both. They are definetly better than the way they are playing, but they may not be the same as last year. The Triplet line is a shadow of what it was last year, and I don't think they will reach that level again this year

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I would say it's the latter. That team has too much talent to continue at the rate they're playing. They're definitely underachieving.

If there's one game that can snap them out of their slump and every single one of their players will get up for, it's against us. We're leading the conference, we just played a grueling 7 game series. Their players will definitely be up for this one.

As to the previous PGT, I made a point about Nash that even when he's not scoring, he opens up the ice for Brass/Zucc and that was dismissed by his critics as "7.8m is a lot for a decoy." Him opening up the ice isn't him being a decoy. He's a dangerous player, the most dangerous forward on this team outside of Zuccarello. The other teams not only have to key on him and try and take his space away, but he often creates coverage problems for them and is a beast on the boards and cycling down low with his ability to drag defenders on his back and still get off high percentage shots. That's not being a decoy, calling him a decoy is a very simplistic way to look at it. He's still a very important cog in our first line, that line doesn't function as well as it does if Nash is replaced by an inferior player. I understand being frustrated with him not scoring, but he's just getting unlucky and shooting way below his career average shooting %. He's going to start getting a little bit of luck and all the posts and near misses he has are going to start going in in bunches.

To call him an expensive decoy is just not a fair way to look at it. He's a dangerous player and he is making solid plays and that doesn't always show up with his name on the scoresheet, but as long as the team is scoring and his line in particular at that, I don't see the problem.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If Zucc is healthy last post season, the Rangers beat the Lightning. He is that much of a game changer.

I also agree with the above post regarding Nash. What he is does on a nightly basis for his linemates is so undervalued here.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

Probably a little bit of both. The Triplet line, for example, played over their heads last year.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Lightning have been garbage all season, but I'm sure they will play amazing against the Rangers.

I'm pretty confident the Rangers are going to be up for this game as well. Tampa is most likely not very confident right now and the Rangers are. Added to that, the Rangers might have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and "something to prove" after last years ECF. Normally I'd be somewhat worried about this game, but I have a good feeling about Thursday.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Have a good feeling about thursday. Think the rangers will come out with "something to prove" for last year. Feeling a 4-2 ranger win. LGR!!!

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Also is anyone else getting tired of advanced stats people trying to delegitamize what the rangers have done by showing their raw 5on5 numbers without any context what so ever?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Still ridiculously early but how sweet would it be that Tampa doesn't make the playoffs both for what happened last season and our chances this season?

Whether you're in a playoff spot or close to it by Thanksgiving is usually a good sign of who makes the playoffs in years past. Tampa's currently tied for the final spot in the East but has 2 more games played than Florida and Detroit.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Still ridiculously early but how sweet would it be that Tampa doesn't make the playoffs both for what happened last season and our chances this season?

Whether you're in a playoff spot or close to it by Thanksgiving is usually a good sign of who makes the playoffs in years past. Tampa's currently tied for the final spot in the East but has 2 more games played than Florida and Detroit.

It was karma last year when LA didn't make the playoffs.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
If any team is entering this game with a chip on their shoulders, it's the Rangers. I remember Hank, Step, McD and Brass in the locker room after that Game 7 loss. They looked completely shocked and devastated. I think that was the moment where they realized that their window is beginning to close (they still have 3-4 years left before it fully shuts IMO) and became scared of the possibility of never getting the Cup.

I expect the Rangers to come out very hard and fast. Rangers have a ton of confidence at the moment, whereas the Lightning don't have much at all. Lundqvist is red hot, not so for Bishop.

I think the Rangers reach double digits and deliver a dish best served cold...

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Also is anyone else getting tired of advanced stats people trying to delegitamize what the rangers have done by showing their raw 5on5 numbers without any context what so ever?

yes! We're at the top of the power rankings but the caveat is we suck because of bad Corsi numbers....teams on the bottom of the league have good Corsi so they don't suck. :huh:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
If any teams is entering this game with a chip on their shoulders, it's the Rangers. I remember Hank, Step, McD and Brass in the locker room after that Game 7 loss. They looked completely shocked and devastated. I think that was the moment where they realized that the window on them in beginning to close (they still have 3-4 years left before it fully shuts IMO) and became scared of the possibility of never getting the Cup.

I expect the Rangers to come out very hard and fast. Rangers have a ton of confidence at the moment, whereas the Lightning don't have much at all. Lundqvist is red hot, not so for Bishop.

I think the Rangers reach double digits and deliver a dish best served cold...

Good post!! I hope you're right. I really want this one Thursday night.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

The Rangers were out of the playoffs sitting with a .500 record last season into December, then won the Presidents Trophy. True, we had injuries that led to losses, but I would not start anticipating the Blots being out until at least the New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad