Rangers interested in Dominic Moore

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
Moore would be a good addition to add depth to the bottom six, but I am even more interested in Paul Ranger. Ranger was an absolute stud defenseman with Torts in Tampa Bay, and has apparently looked good in the AHL this year after his impromptu absence.

McDonagh - Girari
Staal - Stralman
Del Zotto - Ranger
Eminger/Bickel

That defense would be swoon-worthy.

If you could finagle Moore + Ranger (while re-signing Del Zotto), you'd be looking at practically an ideal lineup without any obvious weaknesses.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Moore would be a good addition to add depth to the bottom six, but I am even more interested in Paul Ranger. Ranger was an absolute stud defenseman with Torts in Tampa Bay, and has apparently looked good in the AHL this year.

McDonagh - Girari
Staal - Stralman
Del Zotto - Ranger
Eminger/Bickel

If you could finagle Moore + Ranger (which re-signing Del Zotto), you'd be looking at practically an ideal lineup without any obvious weaknesses.

Come on. If his name wasn't Ranger would anyone possibly adding him?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He was drafted and Rangers property for the majority of those "dark years" so Im not going to kill him for saying that.

As for the so-called "youth movement," yea, its a nice story. Giving them a chance has garnered a very solid foundation.

But this team will go as far as the top-shelf talent takes them.

Richards, Nash, Gaborik, and Lundqvist.

3 mercenaries and an all-world goaltender they lucked out on.

Without a solid defense, Staal (draft pick), McDonagh (trade when he was just a prospect), Girardi (undrafted FA), and MDZ (draft pick) (oh and Sauer would have been here, a draft pick), we'd be maybe a #6 seed capable of stealing one round MAYBE. As is we're oe of the favorites for the cup.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Not really an impressive list, especially when you weed out the guys that debuted post-lockout and Betts who started his career in Calgary. The Rangers were notorious for buying teams and not giving kids a real opportunity to break into the big club. In fact, I think our inability to build a team without a checkbook led to the demise of quite a few solid prospects. However, that's not really the point. We spent tons of money and got nowhere. Moore was right in his assessment.

Outside of Tyutin and Lundqvist it's not an impressive list at all, but as Moore isn't an 'impressive" NHLer I'd still say my point stands. Being 'youth' and making the Rangers 05/06 team wasn't anything awesome, and trades in hockey happen all the time. Sure, the pre-lockout (can't even use that term any more :shakehead) teams wasted a lot of money chasing the number 8 spot every year while ruining some kids along the way (Malholtra comes to mind), but none of that had any bearing on Moore or how he was treated by the team

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How many people can financially afford to take a year off after a personal tragedy?

That's a good point. However, somehow these people cope. It's not a given that he'll be so distraught that he won't want to play. Andy Reid's son died recently, he's back coaching with no time off. And he won't be wasting a year of his prime since he's a coach.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Without a solid defense, Staal (draft pick), McDonagh (trade when he was just a prospect), Girardi (undrafted FA), and MDZ (draft pick) (oh and Sauer would have been here, a draft pick), we'd be maybe a #6 seed capable of stealing one round MAYBE. As is we're oe of the favorites for the cup.

Dont get me wrong, I love the defense (well, at least our top 5), and they are a very large portion of the strong foundation I was talking about.

But, in general, I feel that Lundqvist makes the defense look better than they actually are.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Dont get me wrong, I love the defense (well, at least our top 5), and they are a very large portion of the strong foundation I was talking about.

But, in general, I feel that Lundqvist makes the defense look better than they actually are.

Where were the Rangers in every season before the last one?

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Where were the Rangers in every season before the last one?

Being carried on #30's shoulders... No doubt we have some decent defensemen, but it would be misguided to say Henrik doesn't make them look better. I'd love to see Emminger and Stralman playing in Edmonton or Columbus, wouldn't be pretty..:help:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He was drafted and Rangers property for the majority of those "dark years" so Im not going to kill him for saying that.

As for the so-called "youth movement," yea, its a nice story. Giving them a chance has garnered a very solid foundation.

But this team will go as far as the top-shelf talent takes them.

Richards, Nash, Gaborik, and Lundqvist.

3 mercenaries and an all-world goaltender they lucked out on.

Why is Nash a mercenary? Because he came here via trade? The youth movement that led to the development of Dubi, Arty, and lucking out on Erixon is what brought him here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Moore would be a good addition to add depth to the bottom six, but I am even more interested in Paul Ranger. Ranger was an absolute stud defenseman with Torts in Tampa Bay, and has apparently looked good in the AHL this year after his impromptu absence.

McDonagh - Girari
Staal - Stralman
Del Zotto - Ranger
Eminger/Bickel

If you could finagle Moore + Ranger (while re-signing Del Zotto), you'd be looking at practically an ideal lineup without any obvious weaknesses.

Inpromptu absence? Paul Ranger hasnt played an NHL game in 3 years.

Great name though.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why is Nash a mercenary? Because he came here via trade? The youth movement that led to the development of Dubi, Arty, and lucking out on Erixon is what brought him here.

Thats a stretch.

And yes, Rick Nash was not developed by the Rangers - he spent nearly a decade elsewhere, so thats the very definition of a mercenary.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Being carried on #30's shoulders... No doubt we have some decent defensemen, but it would be misguided to say Henrik doesn't make them look better. I'd love to see Emminger and Stralman playing in Edmonton or Columbus, wouldn't be pretty..:help:

Eminger and Stralman are 5th and 6th D-men on this team (naybe even 7th for Eminger). Don't pretend like they're the top pairing. How many teams in the league have great D-men on the bottom pairing? Stralman is very good for a #5 D-man.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Thats a stretch.

And yes, Rick Nash was not developed by the Rangers - he spent nearly a decade elsewhere, so thats the very definition of a mercenary.

To me, a mercenary is a free agent. The biggest one I can think of is Marian Hossa 2007-2010. 3 years. 3 teams. Someone you traded for means that your assets, which in this case, have all been developed by the Rangers, helped you obtain that player.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lundqvist was a far bigger one.

He had his best year, but you don't think having the best defensive team since he got here had something to do with it? Look at what happened to him when the D fell apart in March, April, and the Devils series. Granted he made it worse by giving up bad goals regularly.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If he was interested, I'd certainly be willing to give him a look. He was a very, very good d-man before his hiatus. If he can regain even half the form he had, I'd gladly take him over Eminger or Stralman.

I like how you're including Stralman into that and not Bickel. Stralman was a solid D-man for this team.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
To call Rick Nash a mercenary is the funniest joke I've heard in a long time. Last time I checked, mercenaries do things for the sole purpose of money. Since when does requesting a trade so that he can have a shot at winning, something completely devoid of money, constitute as being a mercenary?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
First off the reason Moore was traded was because the Rangers wanted to make room for both Matt Cullen and Jarko Immonen to bolster the center position. There was no point having two fourth line centers. Immonen never really took off, mostly due to Renney and the footspeed thing and then the Rangers were left shorthanded.

Second, he would have had a chance in 04-05 if they didn't miss the entire season and at the end of his tenure he was a full-time player so I don't get why he was trashing the team. It wasn't called for.

Third, the players besides Henrik such as Tyutin, Orts, Moore, Hollweg, Betts, Prucha, and even Hossa and to a certain extent Jason Ward all became full-time NHL players with the Rangers so it doesn't matter if Blair Betts played 12 games with Calgary or whatever.

Not everyone plays in the NHL for ten years, injuries happen, skills deteriorate, etc. Rick Vaive and Tony Tanti never really made it out of the 80s. Tomas Kloucek should still be playing if not for injuries. Even Rangers like Mike Allison and Mark Pavelich had a few great seasons and were banged up. For about five years, all of those guys that broke in during the 2005-06 season were solid NHLers and some still would be if not for injuries (Betts-Shoulder, Orts-Blood Clot, Prucha-getting banged up in a small frame....I still think that knee injury before the Olympics really screwed his development up).

Jan 8, 2012
NY
To call Rick Nash a mercenary is the funniest joke I've heard in a long time. Last time I checked, mercenaries do things for the sole purpose of money. Since when does requesting a trade so that he can have a shot at winning, something completely devoid of money, constitute as being a mercenary?

Maybe the Rangers will give him a big bonus if they win the cup? :sarcasm:

Looking at you avatar. My God, was he a chubby kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad