Confirmed with Link: Rangers Hire Peter Laviolette as Head Coach, Assistants Michael Peca & Dan Muse

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Coaches are like goalies.

You can win with a mediocre one and lose with a great one. 90% of it is timing and luck. Thats why most team rotate through both goalies and coaches every few years.

What really matters is the skaters.

Were Mike Richter or Mike Keenan all-time great goalies or coaches? No, they were decent, but just got to be a part of a team with a top-5 all time forward and a top-10 all time defenseman on it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
glad its done
now on to the important stuff
re-sign Kalynuk

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Didn't realize how much of a Ranger Lavi was. How can you get more Ranger than being on four Ranger teams? He's just missing Kitchener and Texas teams.
1686676964865.png

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Welp there we go. Not an exciting choice like an assistant coach would be (Leach, War, Knob, etc.) but he is a respected coach around the league. His teams, despite what happened in Wash, have always had a strict system and style of play. He has always been a coach that demands accountability and plays players based on their willingness to buy into his tough defensive gameplan. I suspect his troubles in Wash were less to do with him and the young players and more to do with the fact that the old guard in Wash isn't exactly willing to change the way they play the game, as well as being much older and much slower than they used to be.

I can't ever recall a Lav team that played a way I didn't like until the Capitals team, which leads me to believe there was more to the issues there than whats on the surface.

With all that said, I would still like to have gone with maybe someone new, but technically, Lav is new for this room.

He is also not likely to ever let players dictate lineups. AKA, if he sees Kreider-Tro-Vesey works, he won't break it up cause Kreider or Z complain.

Another also, I think this bodes well for Cuylle and Othmann. They play the way Lav has always liked. Just run it back and see what happens with a real system.

Laf-Z-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Othmann
Kreider-Tro-Vesey
Cuylle-Brod-Goodrow

Eh, who the hell cares?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Out of three terrifying possibilities that were looming, I'm glad we went with the least offensive one to me.

Coach used condom face (was holding that one a long time here now) or the sexual harassment enabler, would have been just crazy.

Q would generally have been the worst possible hire.

I said, that hate Laviolette's guts, mostly because his team were hard to play against.

Let's see how it goes.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
if he runs Panarin out of town, he's a self-destructive moron
Depends on who replaces him. No? If we miss the playoffs because Panarin got "run off" (which I'm interpreting as meaning "not allowed to pick his linemates and play his own system") then we wouldn't be in the running for a cup, that Panarin would likely not help us win, anyway...
Panarin piles up the points in regular season, and that has a lot of value... but IMO not as much value as a player that shows up big time for the playoffs. Bread had TWO completely "uninspiring" playoffs, including when we were successful last year. I'd be interested in trying something else. Of course I'd prefer we kept him AND he turned in a Conn Smythe worthy performance in spring of '24, but what are the odds of the latter?

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
otoh twice we hired ex Flyers coaches and went to a Stanley Cup Final otoh ex Islanders employees have been pretty bad for us

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I feel people have a false view of Panarin.

He works well under hard asses. He worked great under Torts. Had a MVP type season under Quinn. Got really lazy under Gallant who is about as hands off as you can get.

Hopefully he gets pushed again.
hope you are right.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Welp there we go. Not an exciting choice like an assistant coach would be (Leach, War, Knob, etc.) but he is a respected coach around the league. His teams, despite what happened in Wash, have always had a strict system and style of play. He has always been a coach that demands accountability and plays players based on their willingness to buy into his tough defensive gameplan. I suspect his troubles in Wash were less to do with him and the young players and more to do with the fact that the old guard in Wash isn't exactly willing to change the way they play the game, as well as being much older and much slower than they used to be.

I can't ever recall a Lav team that played a way I didn't like until the Capitals team, which leads me to believe there was more to the issues there than whats on the surface.

With all that said, I would still like to have gone with maybe someone new, but technically, Lav is new for this room.

He is also not likely to ever let players dictate lineups. AKA, if he sees Kreider-Tro-Vesey works, he won't break it up cause Kreider or Z complain.

Another also, I think this bodes well for Cuylle and Othmann. They play the way Lav has always liked. Just run it back and see what happens with a real system.

Laf-Z-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Othmann
Kreider-Tro-Vesey
Cuylle-Brod-Goodrow

Eh, who the hell cares?
Lav has never given kids a chance with a top role, or at least rarely, so i wouldnt hold your breath with laf and KK getting top line minutes.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
This is the coach I wanted. So, if it goes to shit, you can all blame me.

Short shelf life though. Year 1, learn the "system", hope to win. 2nd year, last chance to win. 3rd year, regret, coast to the bitter end.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I feel people have a false view of Panarin.

He works well under hard asses. He worked great under Torts. Had a MVP type season under Quinn. Got really lazy under Gallant who is about as hands off as you can get.

Hopefully he gets pushed again.
and when I say lazy, I mean he became a hippie. Did what he want. No structure or purpose. Like a bag floating in the wind, crossing over lanes of traffic.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He's a boring hire but not necessarily bad hire.

I actually think he will fit this group well. They had their overbearing micromanager with they didn't respect in Quinn and then their former player who is too hands off in Gallant. Now they get a coach who commands respect as a cup champion, who has always seemed fiery and the type of coach who demands things of his players and won't always play nice but also isn't a Sutter or Babcock behind the scenes.

It's not sexy but that doesn't mean it's bad. I can definitely see this current core having success under Laviolette in the next couple of seasons.

Best available coach out there to get Panarin back to his old ways, best available to give the players the "help" they were asking for in their exit meetings. This group has a lot of talent but no structure. Laviolette can instill very basic systems with a decent forecheck and a decent breakout it will seem like he's Scotty Bowman compared to Gallant having basically no plan, no system, no adjustments. We basically just need a steady hand of competence here. Combine that with a group that will hopefully come back next year with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove and I think a big step forward next year could be in the cards.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I hope this is just a start. I'd like to see good assistants followed by some moves to remake our roster. I think we really should add a lot more individual speed. We used to have so many fast guys in McD, CK, Brady, Hags, John Moore, etc. Now CK rarely skates hard and most of our defense outside of KAM are average at best skaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad