Pre-Game Talk: Rangers at Lightning - Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I rewatched the game from last night. Stomached it. I wasn't able to watch until about 10 minutes left in the 3rd, and wanted to see for myself how the Rangers conceded 6 goals for a 2nd straight night.

Game 2, I reasoned it was sloppy play and lack of focus. This game, I have a lot of blame on the coaches.

First and foremost, the score is what the score is, and I've already harped on individual players' mistakes that I don't necessarily feel the need to return to attacking that as a reason that the Rangers lost. We get it. Henrik had a horrible night. Nash again did not help our cause. McDonagh and Girardi were woeful, especially on the final two goals. Boyle started horribly but actually turned it on at the end. And St. Louis was again rendered utterly useless.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I will centralize on what I believe are two of the biggest flaws the Rangers had in game 3 (and even in this series).

1) Vigneault's HORRIBLE game plan against Tampa's bread and butter. We are playing the league's most potent offense. Personally, I think their system does not create offense... but instead, capitalizes on the mistakes that other teams make. Namely, penalties and turnovers that lead to an unreal transition game. While many teams can live with making these mistakes, something special strikes me about the Lightning. They're incredibly efficient - i.e they convert on these mistakes better than seemingly any other team in the league. In game 2 and 3, the Rangers did nothing to stifle either area of this success. Namely, they lacked discipline that led to Tampa Powerplays time and time again AND they refused to make it tough on Tampa's transition speed game by neglecting any type of defense whatsoever. In game 1, the Rangers played conservatively, committed to playing team defense, and Tampa looked devoid of 5v5 offense. Since then? Reckless, sloppy, and shooter happy hockey. And that my friends falls on AV, and his lack of preparing this group. They should be taking away Tampa's speed. After all, the Rangers are the team that is more comfortable playing tighter, low scoring games. Instead, Tampa trapped AV and the Rangers, who were closed off of space on the ice for 2 series' and couldn't wait to play a happy go lucky offensive style of game. And yes, that happens to do with our coaching falling right into this trap.

2) And I hope no one takes this as me saying that I want opposing team players injured... the Rangers are not making the Lightning physically pay. This is the playoffs. This team is standing in the way of your dream... a dream that dramatically collapsed at the final moment last year and is even more within grasp this year. Ron Duguay said it before the series even started, but he mistakenly only localized this to how the Rangers should treat Callahan. You have to make the opposing team's players lives hell. And the Rangers? They're letting scrawny, pubescent-looking, pests like Tyler Johnson post up in front of the net. Kucherov, Namestikov(sorry if wrong), Palat... these ****ing undersized clowns are skating right into the zone and going to the slot and front of the net with NO physical penalty. And that... to me, is ****ing disgusting. This isn't wishing injury on anyone, but when someone is smaller than you, making you pay offensively, and going to areas that physicality dominates... that is a slap in the face to your defenders. They're not physically executing. Tyler Johnson should be absolutely leveled for going within 10 feet of Henrik. He is 5'8. Palat needs to be drilled. And of course, I mean legally. But these players need to regret even thinking about going close to the slot or font of the net. They need to wince any time a defender looks at them. And their will needs to be broken.

If the Rangers stand any hope to come back and win this series, it will be because Vigneault stops foolishly trying to beat Tampa at their bread and butter, closes the team up and tightens the defensive screws, focuses them and grounds them from taking undisciplined penalties, and reminds them that size really does matter in swaying mental fortitude.

The Rangers are the better team. The Rangers are the more experienced team. It is time they started taking what should be theres rather than letting it slip between their fingers.

Solid post, especially about how they are not punishing them physically.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
We are not winning this series of we go down 3-1 again. There's only so many times you can pull an LA Kings. Tie this **** up and put a stranglehold on the series at home.

We absolutely can come back from 3-1, especially with home ice advantage.

Not saying I want that, we need to win tomorrow and get this game back to MSG 2-2.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Things have yet to unfold. I wouldn't be so quick to be as negative as some of you are. If we lose on Friday, that doesn't mean that we are out, just as if we win it doesn't mean we are in.

I'm maintaining what my gut told me when we were down 3-1 last series. We will win that series, then if we find a way to win this one, we'll win the cup.

Don't write the Rangers out, even if down 3-1. Have some faith. I still think it is very premature to see the way this series ends. I think it is wide open right now. I think it will be wide open even if the Rangers are down 3-1.

We absolutely can come back from 3-1, especially with home ice advantage.

Not saying I want that, we need to win tomorrow and get this game back to MSG 2-2.

it's good to hear the optimism....very much needed in situations like this

but for the love of god...please let's not go down 3-1

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
So much negativity. We lost by 1 goal, in overtime. We could have won it. We lost because of what we gave them, not what they created. Our team will make the corrections and we will win. If we go down 3-1, it still ain't over. Never give up. Did we not learn from the Caps series?

Last edited:

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
While I knee jerked and was frustrated to no end by the lack of punishment given to "the triplets", (sick of that media label too), we all know what will happen when we attempt to be physical. Prepare to be frustrated when TB scores on the powerplay. When a team has that weapon working it keeps the opponent honest. I'd rather see us go back to shutting down the neutral zone and not letting them counterattack off of our turnovers. Hoping for a return to desperate Ranger style hockey before game 5 rolls around.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Bishop can be beaten, as can their defence.
I am not saying that losing when you score 5 goals is good, but the Lightning also gave up 5 goals.
So, if anybody wanted to note the Lightning defence and goaltender make mistakes, there were enough examples of it.

BarbaraAlphanse

Oh, and start Talbot.

I'm not in favor of starting Talbot next game.

I was in favor of putting him in when the Rangers went down 4-2, purely to wake the team up and wake Henrik up.

Seeing your MVP get benched cause you're not playing well in front of him would probably have been significant for the players. That moment is missed, though.

Henrik is obviously the guy. We ride and die with him.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The Stepan line needs to get more mins... Less for Kreider tho. Stepan and fast have been our best forwards.. I'd say give quickie a shot on the pp too instead of useless(Nash) and worthless(msl)

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm not in favor of starting Talbot next game.

I was in favor of putting him in when the Rangers went down 4-2, purely to wake the team up and wake Henrik up.

Seeing your MVP get benched cause you're not playing well in front of him would probably have been significant for the players. That moment is missed, though.

Henrik is obviously the guy. We ride and die with him.

Yeah, I wasn't being serious. :laugh:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What I think most people forget is how important match ups are. Just because you are the best team in the NHL doesn't mean you wont have a team or two that is your kryptonite. For so many years it was Washington and Pittsburgh. We are now their kryptonite. Tampa happens to be ours. I think the outcome of this series is one of two things. Either Henrik gets his form back and we win in 7 (again) or not and we lose in 6 with 2 4-1 losses and a 2-1 victory in between. Tampa is the only team in the NHL that plays our game better than we do. They have more offensive talent who can play that game (not that we are lacking).

Upsets and losses happen not because of skill, but because of matchups. I think St. Louis was the better team in their series. I think they lost because of a team that happens to matchup well against them.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think we should put Talbot in.

...for MSL

Lol. Almost responded to this with the biggest are you kidding me. MSL isn't the issue. We are down 2-1 because of horrible defensive lapses and putrid goaltending. People can complain all they want about Staal. He was our best defenseman during the Washington series. Again, match ups. Tampa is a talented team and that makes it tough to overcome the fact that they have our number.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we did put Talbot in as a skater, he knows what Hank is going though, and would bust his ass playing defense for him. :nod:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
If we did put Talbot in as a skater, he knows what Hank is going though, and would bust his ass playing defense for him. :nod:

Actually he doesn't. Not first hand anyway. Talbot has never experienced a Rangers team in front of him that defensively inept as the past two games against the Lightning.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Actually he doesn't. Not first hand anyway. Talbot has never experienced a Rangers team in front of him that defensively inept as the past two games against the Lightning.

Maybe not the Rangers. But he did play for Alabama-Huntsville and bad AHL teams.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was critical of Hank earlier, but him stepping up to match Holbty who was having the series of his life gave me rejuvenated hope in him. He had a rough time in games 2 and 3 even though our defense sucked, and Hank would be the first to tell you that. But we're not going out like that. To sens us home Tampa has to beat Hank when he's having a great game at least once. He's got more in him, I believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad