Pre-Game Talk: Rangers at Lightning - Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Lundqvist let in a bad goal in OT, there's no denying that. But you can't get outplayed for over half the game and expect to win. The Rangers got lucky scoring five in this game, and it probably won't happen again. Not with Nash asleep at the wheel.

And that's the real problem. The Rangers are 10th in goals per game in the playoffs this year. Every team worse than them has been eliminated. If Nash and St. Louis don't wake up, the Rangers are done.

Period.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
I think a bunch of us, including me, said it last time, but...

If we go down 3-1, we can kiss this series goodbye.

Seriously this time.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
This is a must win. I know we have come back from a 3-1 hole before but it is a massive undertaking and against a team as strong as the Lightning, it won't happen.

McD, Girardi, Staal, MSL, Nash, Hank. All of them need to have a great game especially.

Can we clone Fast and put him in Nash's jersey?

*Bob Richards*

Chicago and LA got into a shootout last year didn't they? Sometimes you gotta win ugly. :laugh:

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
I've got a feeling that the Rangers will find a way to dig deep and take Game 4. But they have to change their style of play. Right now, we're being "out-Rangered." Tampa Bay is killing us with their quick transition game and frankly, look faster (with the exception of maybe Hagelin, Kreider, and Fast).

Our D have play much sounder positionally, and offense much more disciplined - instead of taking themselves out of the play to deliver a hit. A prime example of that was CK in the 3rd period.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This is a must win. I know we have come back from a 3-1 hole before but it is a massive undertaking and against a team as strong as the Lightning, it won't happen.

McD, Girardi, Staal, MSL, Nash, Hank. All of them need to have a great game especially.

Can we clone Fast and put him in Nash's jersey?

Fast's cap hit is $783,870

Nash's cap hit is $7,800,000

If we were to clone Fast, we could get 9.951 Fasts for one Nash. This would give us an entire line worth of Fasts, replacements for Nash and MSL, and a few Fasts in case there were an injury.

Get er done Slats!

dolly_2019167c.jpg

BarbaraAlphanse

I rewatched the game from last night. Stomached it. I wasn't able to watch until about 10 minutes left in the 3rd, and wanted to see for myself how the Rangers conceded 6 goals for a 2nd straight night.

Game 2, I reasoned it was sloppy play and lack of focus. This game, I have a lot of blame on the coaches.

First and foremost, the score is what the score is, and I've already harped on individual players' mistakes that I don't necessarily feel the need to return to attacking that as a reason that the Rangers lost. We get it. Henrik had a horrible night. Nash again did not help our cause. McDonagh and Girardi were woeful, especially on the final two goals. Boyle started horribly but actually turned it on at the end. And St. Louis was again rendered utterly useless.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I will centralize on what I believe are two of the biggest flaws the Rangers had in game 3 (and even in this series).

1) Vigneault's HORRIBLE game plan against Tampa's bread and butter. We are playing the league's most potent offense. Personally, I think their system does not create offense... but instead, capitalizes on the mistakes that other teams make. Namely, penalties and turnovers that lead to an unreal transition game. While many teams can live with making these mistakes, something special strikes me about the Lightning. They're incredibly efficient - i.e they convert on these mistakes better than seemingly any other team in the league. In game 2 and 3, the Rangers did nothing to stifle either area of this success. Namely, they lacked discipline that led to Tampa Powerplays time and time again AND they refused to make it tough on Tampa's transition speed game by neglecting any type of defense whatsoever. In game 1, the Rangers played conservatively, committed to playing team defense, and Tampa looked devoid of 5v5 offense. Since then? Reckless, sloppy, and shooter happy hockey. And that my friends falls on AV, and his lack of preparing this group. They should be taking away Tampa's speed. After all, the Rangers are the team that is more comfortable playing tighter, low scoring games. Instead, Tampa trapped AV and the Rangers, who were closed off of space on the ice for 2 series' and couldn't wait to play a happy go lucky offensive style of game. And yes, that happens to do with our coaching falling right into this trap.

2) And I hope no one takes this as me saying that I want opposing team players injured... the Rangers are not making the Lightning physically pay. This is the playoffs. This team is standing in the way of your dream... a dream that dramatically collapsed at the final moment last year and is even more within grasp this year. Ron Duguay said it before the series even started, but he mistakenly only localized this to how the Rangers should treat Callahan. You have to make the opposing team's players lives hell. And the Rangers? They're letting scrawny, pubescent-looking, pests like Tyler Johnson post up in front of the net. Kucherov, Namestikov(sorry if wrong), Palat... these ****ing undersized clowns are skating right into the zone and going to the slot and front of the net with NO physical penalty. And that... to me, is ****ing disgusting. This isn't wishing injury on anyone, but when someone is smaller than you, making you pay offensively, and going to areas that physicality dominates... that is a slap in the face to your defenders. They're not physically executing. Tyler Johnson should be absolutely leveled for going within 10 feet of Henrik. He is 5'8. Palat needs to be drilled. And of course, I mean legally. But these players need to regret even thinking about going close to the slot or font of the net. They need to wince any time a defender looks at them. And their will needs to be broken.

If the Rangers stand any hope to come back and win this series, it will be because Vigneault stops foolishly trying to beat Tampa at their bread and butter, closes the team up and tightens the defensive screws, focuses them and grounds them from taking undisciplined penalties, and reminds them that size really does matter in swaying mental fortitude.

The Rangers are the better team. The Rangers are the more experienced team. It is time they started taking what should be theres rather than letting it slip between their fingers.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Seriously this time.

I think a bunch of us said it last year as well when we were down 3-1 vs Pittsburgh. Would have been nice to advance to the next round and play the winner of the Habs v Bruins series...

BarbaraAlphanse

Seriously this time.

I don't think so. The more times you put yourself in this position, obviously the less probable it is that a team can continue to make these incredible come backs.

But Tampa is inexperienced. I wouldn't be so quick to call it a done deal.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Ughhhhh I'll be there for this one. I've seen so many NYR games but never a playoff game.

Plz play well and don't embarrass yourselves anymore. U r better than these past 2 games. Prove it.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
We are not winning this series of we go down 3-1 again. There's only so many times you can pull an LA Kings. Tie this **** up and put a stranglehold on the series at home.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
I think a bunch of us said it last year as well when we were down 3-1 vs Pittsburgh. Would have been nice to advance to the next round and play the winner of the Habs v Bruins series...

Tampa is a different team than Pittsburgh...This a different year....You can only come back so many times from a 3-1 deficit....they have to stop playing with fire or they are gonna get burnt

If he played in Chicago and played like this in the first round they would have been eliminated.

If we don't win the cup this year it is solely on Henrik.

Chicago can actually finish their chances....and guess what they can actually RELY on their top guys

This team....not so much in the playoffs

Chicago had 19 goals in the 1st round in 6 games.... we had 11 in 5 games

Chicago had 13 goals in a 2nd round sweep....we had 13 in 7 games

This series is still playing out so can't judge it as a whole yet.... but in 2 games Chicago has 4 goals...we have 9 goals in 3

Chicago is averaging 3 goals a game....we are averaging 2.1....

IMHO Chicago doesn't rely as much on their goal tending as we do ...so yes....I think if a goalie of Hanks calibre is with them then it's easy to say Hank would have at least ONE cup by now

BarbaraAlphanse

Things have yet to unfold. I wouldn't be so quick to be as negative as some of you are. If we lose on Friday, that doesn't mean that we are out, just as if we win it doesn't mean we are in.

I'm maintaining what my gut told me when we were down 3-1 last series. We will win that series, then if we find a way to win this one, we'll win the cup.

Don't write the Rangers out, even if down 3-1. Have some faith. I still think it is very premature to see the way this series ends. I think it is wide open right now. I think it will be wide open even if the Rangers are down 3-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad