Rumor: Rangers "Are In Big-Time" to Acquire Jonathan Drouin

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know we want to replenish our depth in youth...although we have a lot of youth on the NHL roster as is (Hayes, Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Mcilrath, and Kreider to a lesser degree). They dont seem as young because they have gotten so much playoff experience playing in tough games. But we cant go and overpay for guys who requested trades. TBL and CBJ do not have as much leverage. Make the minimum offer and if they dont like it, oh well. I dont like seeing people so willing to deal Kreider or even Yandle. If we dont succeed, hold onto Yandle and get a package at the deadline from a team trying to make a deep playoff run. Yandle has half his cap hit being paid by Arizona. His value is so high for so many teams that are tight to the cap.

Go for Rychel or Drouin. Offer Etem (former 1st rounder himself) and a draft pick. If its not enough move on.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Chris Kreider is OFF THE TABLE. GO AWAY. Kreider is our second best player in the postseason. He's having a down year. Now his contract will be slightly less expensive. That's a good thing for us.

For Drouin? I offer Kevin Hayes and Emerson Etem. Yzerman laughs, hangs up, and we move on.

Our top priority should be KEEPING Yandle as opposed to trading him. The top objective should be to move one of Staal and Girardi so McIlrath and Skjei actually see playing time next season. That, and eventually working in Buchnevich who brings a dimension the team could use a little more of. They don't need Drouin. Drouin is a luxury.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Chris Kreider is OFF THE TABLE. GO AWAY. Kreider is our second best player in the postseason. He's having a down year. Now his contract will be slightly less expensive. That's a good thing for us.

For Drouin? I offer Kevin Hayes and Emerson Etem. Yzerman laughs, hangs up, and we move on.

Our top priority should be KEEPING Yandle as opposed to trading him. The top objective should be to move one of Staal and Girardi so McIlrath and Skjei actually see playing time next season. That, and eventually working in Buchnevich who brings a dimension the team could use a little more of. They don't need Drouin. Drouin is a luxury.

Looking at potential, I'm not sure Hayes has less than Kreider and he plays the more important position.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Looking at potential, I'm not sure Hayes has less than Kreider and he plays the more important position.

Nice to see someone agree. Kreider is playing for an SPC, Hayes is sophomore slumping in classic fashion, and looking for a good bridge. Two promising young guys going through the process. Doubt either has a better 2nd half, write it off. Kreider should come on in the playoffs IF... at this stage.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The question is whether Kreider or Drouin are as good as some make them out to be. I don't know if that's even a reasonable claim at this point.

At 25, there's a good bet that Kreider might be close to what he is. Maybe not so much this year, but last year.

At 20, Drouin could be a guy who puts it together like a Kyle Turris, or he could be Brett Connolly.

If I was being truly objective about both players, I'd probably say that both guys are closer to the lower expectations that the higher.

But with talented young players the appraisals are always a little skewed, aren't they?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The question is whether Kreider or Drouin are as good as some make them out to be. I don't know if that's even a reasonable claim at this point.

At 25, there's a good bet that Kreider might be close to what he is. Maybe not so much this year, but last year.

At 20, Drouin could be a guy who puts it together like a Kyle Turris, or he could be Brett Connolly.

If I was being truly objective about both players, I'd probably say that both guys are closer to the lower expectations that the higher.

But with talented young players the appraisals are always a little skewed, aren't they?

Yeah Drouin will seduce you with his skills which is clearly top end. But I don't think you trade Kreider for him.

Different types of players. I'd trade Kreider for Nicushkin in a heart beat. Two bad hips or not, that kid just drives the net every time. Fearless. No need for a sports shrink to reassure him.

I'd want a player that can have a similar type of impact, ie that power forward that can dominate the game physically.

With Drouin, the jury is a little out. You have to be concerned about entitlement issues. I've seen him come out on top with the proper match ups but that high speed skill game works very against bottom level competition.

He hasnt shown that he can do that against top 4 D, or crack a top 6. On top of that he plays a high risk game and isn't defensively responsible.

He might be a few years away from being a complete player. IE when he physically matures into a man's body.

That's what happened to Turris, who was rushed by Gretzky and played when he was 165 pounds.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Maybe Kreider and Girardi for Drouin and Carle? Who adds?

Girardi and Carle are similarly terrible, equal cap hits I think, gets Tampa a RHD. Carle has two less years on his contract so he may be easier to move or buy out. Gives us a depth option at LD this season and gets McI into the lineup.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Not only does that not particularly match up from a talent standpoint, but Tampa is going to take on all that cap without salary going back the other way? Don't think so.

Right. Tampa doesn't need a LD, Staal just bought a house here, not a good fit. Which is why I think they'd be more likely to send Girardi if either of those two are moved.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
It won't.

But it does shed light on the idiotic hyperbole of calling Staal (and Girardi) "AHL defensemen"

If you can't handle hyperbole then you are in the wrong place. We have more hyperbole in one place than every website combined throughout the universe and the whole of the space time continuum, and then some.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not only does that not particularly match up from a talent standpoint, but Tampa is going to take on all that cap without salary going back the other way? Don't think so.

If they deal Girardi or Staal, I expect some salary to be retained by the Rangers. Possibly even half of it.

As for Drouin, I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to gamble on him. There are definitely some alarming signs about his progress. He's still very young, of course. Being a pro so early didn't do him any favors.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Was anyone else shaking their head while reading this article due to the speculation that the Bolts would want to trade for soon-to-be-UFA Keith Yandle? I mean WTF is Larry thinking writing this???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad