Confirmed with Link: Rangers Acquire Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 20th Overall Pick - Part II

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I heard that too. Who would the NYR buy out if that happens?
Well, it has been triggered now, so there will be a second window whenever the later of the two is resolved. As for possible candidates, consensus is Brendan Smith would be number one on the list. Shattenkirk and Staal could also potentially make sense from a pure numbers POV, but the general sense is the team will hold on to them both because a) Shatty should eventually be tradable, especially if he can show he’s bounced back from his knee injury, and b) Staal is an asset from a locker room/leadership POV.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, it has been triggered now, so there will be a second window whenever the later of the two is resolved. As for possible candidates, consensus is Brendan Smith would be number one on the list. Shattenkirk and Staal could also potentially make sense from a pure numbers POV, but the general sense is the team will hold on to them both because a) Shatty should eventually be tradable, especially if he can show he’s bounced back from his knee injury, and b) Staal is an asset from a locker room/leadership POV.

Also, Shattenkirk's buyout only saves in year 1. The year 2 cap hit+his replacement costs more than he costs now and then, of course, years 3 and 4 aren't cap hits we currently have.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
With the 2nd buyout open, does that only apply to players on the roster at the time it is triggered or could nyr then buyout a player they acquire in the next week or so if they choose?

May be a silly question but if they find a player who's buyout penalty structure fits their salary structure better, then could they trade one of the unwanteds for a player who's buyout fits better.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
With the 2nd buyout open, does that only apply to players on the roster at the time it is triggered or could nyr then buyout a player they acquire in the next week or so if they choose?

May be a silly question but if they find a player who's buyout penalty structure fits their salary structure better, then could they trade one of the unwanteds for a player who's buyout fits better.
They can only do a buyout on players who fulfill the following requirements:
JmsC9nV.png

So they couldn't trade for a bad contract and then buy it out.

Reactions: bleedblue94

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
They can only do a buyout on players who fulfill the following requirements:
JmsC9nV.png

So they couldn't trade for a bad contract and then buy it out.

is this only re the 2d buyout?
asking because of what about Orpik, last year , being bought out by Avs, after acquiring w Grubauer in off-season

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
is this only re the 2d buyout?
asking because of what about Orpik, last year , being bought out by Avs, after acquiring w Grubauer in off-season

Yes, it's only for the 2nd buyout window.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Awwww wtf I saw the green title and thought something new happened....

Lol me too, had my thumb over the headline while scrolling so I also just saw Jacob and for some reason thought that we got Jacub Vrana for Kreider, oh well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I wonder if Trouba wants 7/8 years as stability or wants to sign for 3-4 years and land another mega deal while still in his 20’s...

He can't sign for 8 years. 7 is the max. All reports have been for 7 years. The only reason a shorter option might be on the table is if we need to cut corners to make everyone fit.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think smith is way more useful than shattenkirk for us at this point. He can kill penalties on D he can be an everyday dman on either side in case of injury. He’s done a niceness job adding grit on the 4th line. I much rather keep him for his 2 years.

Shatty blocking fox or DeAngelo does nothing for us. Yes it’s a hit next year but Girardi money comes off as does some of the other guys like fast namestnikov and Strome

I’d buy out shatty we can use smith in many spots smith also is waivable where shatty isn’t.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think smith is way more useful than shattenkirk for us at this point. He can kill penalties on D he can be an everyday dman on either side in case of injury. He’s done a niceness job adding grit on the 4th line. I much rather keep him for his 2 years.

Shatty blocking fox or DeAngelo does nothing for us. Yes it’s a hit next year but Girardi money comes off as does some of the other guys like fast namestnikov and Strome

I’d buy out shatty we can use smith in many spots smith also is waivable where shatty isn’t.

If what RB proposed in the roster building thread comes to fruition (DeAngelo and Lemieux taking 1 year deals) a Shatty buyout would be the worst move of the 3 possible buyouts. Those 2 would be arb eligible and shatty's savings is basically nil for 2020-21.

Staal is still the clear option for a buyout if you're going to use it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
A buyout is a horrible move for this team to make but thanks to the bloated, overpaid corpses of Girardi, Staal and Smith (I leave out Shattenkirk bc at least he took a legit discount and short term), we're currently pissing on the flaming ashes of over 13 M in cap. The extra 1-2 M Hank got overpaid is also a detriment but not nearly as much

We have about 7 M to cover Lemmy and Buch assuming we bridge both. We prob then have about 2-3 M in cap left for Trouba. We prob need about 8-9 M for Trouba. How do we get that?

We have 15 forwards right now including 5.9 M tied up in Namest and Belesky. I'm pretty sure that both their hits will be gone before the season starts.

There has to be 1 team interested in Names that'd take Belesky. Hell, maybe a team would take Names and Smith.

A buyout might still be needed depending on the following:

What will Buch and Lemmy want on bridge deals vs what would they want on long term deals?

I think you have to bridge them both but If the NYR can lock Buch into 3-5 years at a number around 3.5-4.5 then I wouldn't argue with that.

At that point we may have to buyout someone. I'm hoping we can instead trade a 3rd or something to ensure we can get Namest, Belesk and either Smith or (Hockey gods willing) Shattenkirk off the books.

I look at what the cap hit will be if we buyout Shattenkirk or Staal.

A 3rd is a lot less valuable then that cap hit will be for the next 2-3 years

Oh and duh Strome's 3 M is easily tradeable too. I'd like to keep him but if we're being realistic he is likely going to plummet back closer to the 2 points in 18 games player he was to start last season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad