Confirmed with Link: Rangers Acquire Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 20th Overall Pick - Part II

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
There is only one slot open for a right handed D on the top unit with Zibanejad manning the left circle. We'll see who gets it and like last year it might change multiple times during the season.

I think DeAngelo will run away with it, but I can agree it is far from certain.

All true. Even Zibs on the left circle is up in the air. I feel every year he starts off firing on all cylinders up there, but I don’t think I’ve actually seen him score a PP one-timer from that spot in the regular season.

Tony is the best candidate to be feeding Zibs the puck there, but we’ll see how it shakes out. I think Trouba has the stats and experience going into this season that will get him the best look from Quinn.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he was able to supposedly put the Jets in a big trade leverage disadvantage, (not sure I buy that but anyway) if the Rangers decide to not go towards his asks, why would he not be able to put the Rangers in a similar leverage disadvantage? If so it would become, trade him for maybe even less than they traded for him, or sign him to more than they really want to.
I would tend to doubt that Gorton traded for him, just to trade him again. The Rangers are not a win now team. This trade was done not to chase the Cup this year, but for the future when they become contenders.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right now there are probably three defencemen standing in his way (DeAngelo, Shattenkirk and Fox), two of which are likely to stick around for a while.
I doubt that any of them are standing in his way. Especially not Shattenkirk. He will start to play on PP1 with Fox and DeAngelo getting time on PP2.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would tend to doubt that Gorton traded for him, just to trade him again. The Rangers are not a win now team. This trade was done not to chase the Cup this year, but for the future when they become contenders.

My post was more of

If he asks for well over what the Rangers want to give him in extension

Then what?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My post was more of

If he asks for well over what the Rangers want to give him in extension

Then what?
I am pretty sure that they will come to a meeting of the minds. Not as much as he wants or as little as Gorton wants. But they will meet. And we will endlessly debate if 1) too much or just right and eventually 2) if he is worth it.

Reactions: Off Sides

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I am pretty sure that they will come to a meeting of the minds. Not as much as he wants or as little as Gorton wants. But they will meet. And we will endlessly debate if 1) too much or just right and eventually 2) if he is worth it.

This. I'm gonna guess it'll end up being between 7.5-8 mil for 7 years.

But if they really couldn't come to an agreement, then you definitely trade him at the deadline for as much, if not, more than what you gave up to get him.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I doubt that any of them are standing in his way. Especially not Shattenkirk. He will start to play on PP1 with Fox and DeAngelo getting time on PP2.
Not only is DeAngelo a better offensive player in all aspects aside from the point shot (because that is how biomechanics work), but Trouba will be playing #1 time 5v5 and on the PK so I would assume that if he can catch a bit of a break on the PP when we have other options that are in all likelihood at least as good I think DQ will mostly play them that way. But I'm also sure we'll see Trouba on the first unit during at least one phase of the season, I just don't think he is going to be there more than anyone else.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not only is DeAngelo a better offensive player in all aspects aside from the point shot (because that is how biomechanics work), but Trouba will be playing #1 time 5v5 and on the PK so I would assume that if he can catch a bit of a break on the PP when we have other options that are in all likelihood at least as good I think DQ will mostly play them that way. But I'm also sure we'll see Trouba on the first unit during at least one phase of the season, I just don't think he is going to be there more than anyone else.
Ok. Maybe you are right. I am going to go with he was brought here to the the RD on PP1, among his other duties.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trouba played offense behind Buff in Winnipeg, and this isn't his 1st good year.

Superstar D-men are getting 11M today, 8M whatever for top pair RD in his early prime isn't overpaying.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I would assume that is the most likely outcome too, my posts are often referring to the what if situations which could occur. I'm that annoying guy in meetings who brings up possible unintended consequences and plays out all the possible outcomes whether people really want to hear them or not in hopes they/we are making the most informed decision they/we can.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
As far as the PP I doubt we see them run 2D on the 1st unit. It will be 1 of the RD on the 1st unit and probably 2 others on the other.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would assume that is the most likely outcome too, my posts are often referring to the what if situations which could occur. I'm that annoying guy in meetings who brings up possible unintended consequences and plays out all the possible outcomes whether people really want to hear them or not in hopes they/we are making the most informed decision they/we can.
I hear you. Always need to prepare for not only what is the probable outcome, but what is the worst one.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If Trouba is a top pair, 40 point RHD, who gets the toughest match-ups, I mean... I'd be fine with him at ~8.5M.

If he handles those match-ups like a boss, then 8.5M will be a bargain.

I originally never wanted him because I thought the trade would be an arm and a leg, and that he was going to be very hard to negotiate with. The former proved to be hilariously wrong, and the latter is probably not true either; at least not to the extent that Winnipeg had to deal with.

And an added bonus for me is that we won't end up paying Pionk, like, 70% of Trouba's cap hit and with solid term.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Players always ask for more than they’re worth.

Sure, yet in this case should the Rangers not move towards those asks no matter how high they are, what is their play then?

To trade him again to his 2nd favorite, might extend there destination and hope they have stuff and will give it up which equates to what the Rangers traded for him?

Take him to arbitration and end up on a one year deal where they try to trade him at the deadline to recoup what they spent to some destination where he'd want to go?

Again, those are probably not likely scenarios, just pointing out the possible less likely non ideal outcomes.

If Trouba asks for 10M, and the Rangers wanted 7, I think the leverage is on Trouba's side to get nearer to his ask than they meet in the middle. His desire to play for the Rangers would be the counterbalance, yet how much he desires that versus whoever his next favorite destination may be is difficult to know.

Then on the flip side, it's very plausible he is not asking for 10, yet again difficult to forecast.

Nov 24, 2006
Jets fan here. Wondering what is happening with Trouba and a new contract. I saw that he filed for arbitration. Is this just a formality or is there a struggle to get a long term contract done?

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
Everything we've heard says it wont get to arbitration. They'll settle on something before the date.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Jets fan here. Wondering what is happening with Trouba and a new contract. I saw that he filed for arbitration. Is this just a formality or is there a struggle to get a long term contract done?
Rangers have a history of going to the final hours with their guys, though the last guy they did walk away from Zherdev in 2009.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Everything we've heard suggests that Trouba wants to sign here, Gorton knows what it will take to sign him, and they are close. We haven't heard much lately, but I get the feeling the deal is done and they are trying to clear cap before they announce it. His hearing is on the 25th, so we'll know within the next 2 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: