Post-Game Talk: Rangers 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Oh, Oh, Oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Same ol shit...*checks calendar*...yup, different day

meechimindoh

Dec 13, 2009
'If you don't score when you dominate, you'll pay for it' type of game.
My guess is they felt they had this one after two and instead of playing good defensive hockey like we saw against Dallas and Philly they started to cheat, push, pinch. You combine that with the half-ass effort and in today's NHL you lose every time.
I don't understand where's Crosby at. Is he injured, not interested or saving himself? Maybe he's not satisfied with linemates?:sarcasm:
Too bad for Malkin, should've had three point game.
Letang is not producing the goods you need from #1 D.
Rust really gave life to Brassard-Kessel line.

Reactions: Angrrus

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah Malkin stinks when he has too much time to think about what he's going to do. Malkin's immensely talented and very emotional, he's an instinct player that allows his emotions to sometimes take over and it goes both ways for him - Either he gets mad and goes Hulk Geno or he gets mad and starts to take stupid penalties.

Geno is also 35.6% on shootouts for his career (Sid is 41.1% Even Datsyuk was like 40.8%).
Kessel is 29.1% on shootouts, so it's not always "omg he's a goal scorer, he'll score!..." Brandon Pirri has the best % for shootouts, yeah.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My guess is they felt they had this one after two and instead of playing good defensive hockey like we saw against Dallas and Philly they started to cheat, push, pinch. You combine that with the half-ass effort and in today's NHL you lose every time.
I don't understand where's Crosby at. Is he injured, not interested or saving himself? Maybe he's not satisfied with linemates?:sarcasm:

The unfortunate thing is now Rust will be back with Crosby. I wish this team would just call up Sprong and actually play him.

Sheary should sit for a few games. The last time they did that in the playoffs, it lit a fire under his ass, maybe it can again.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I’d say this season more than any other it’s been treated somewhat as maintenance more than anything throughout the whole club.

Now some players need to give their all to keep or get a spot in the line up and then you have a guys like Hornqvist that doesn’t really have an off switch.

After the first week or two of the season a lot of the team was coasting combined with roster changes, heavy schedule and not a great bottom 6 to start the year.

Malkin and Kessel were good in 2017 and when the switch needed to be flipped most of the team responded.

Now we are in, I think you’ll see games like this (not quite the full 3rd period melt down though) as we build up to the playoffs. There will be some weird lines and structures at various times but I think the remainder of the season will be based more on working and trying things for the playoffs than wins (although they should come if we are trying to play like a playoff team).

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
Confused by what you mean here. We did that with giving up because we thought we were going to win. That's common, IMO, with a back to back Cup winner letting their guard down and getting disinterested. The reason the 16 team was so dominant after 2 is because the hunger level was off the charts. They wanted to guarantee a victory no matter what. There is NO way in hell to duplicate that. They have to find other ways. Last year's rally was w/o Letang and for Hainsey/Cullen. This year... they are going to have to find something. I do not know what it is.

And hot damn I cannot believe we are about to start the playoffs again. Where the hell does time go?

That part is obvious the 3 peat should be driving them... a real chance to really stamp their authority on the salary cap era. Winning 2 in a row was unprecedented, now they have a chance to win 3

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
We went from having 4 lines rolling to 1 line capable of anything. Kudos front office.

Can't wait to hear Madden blab about how good Sid played.

I use a call up on Jooris, Sprong, Tom Sestito (if he's still in the organization?), Kostopulus, etc. Carter Rowney cannot play another game at the NHL level. Or better yet call up Pedan or Corrado and play with 7 D.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
What a bunch of lazy boneheaded idiots. How could they lose this game is waaaaaay beyond me.

It never ends well when Crosby and Malkin decide to take a night of, no matter how well 3rd and 4th lines play.

What a bunch of jerks.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Now that I’m in the right mind, here’s my thoughts.

-Play the whole 60
Boys, hockey isn’t a game of 30 minutes, 50 minutes, 55 minutes ... No excuse to blow not one but two leads in the third. I half-blame Sullivan because he had our fourth line out when we were up by only one with five minutes left. What did Sullivan learn? Same thing happened with Hunwick a couple of weeks ago.

-Box out your man
Letang is the main offender, but we’ve got to start getting bodies on players in or near our crease. I was crapping on Letang for this during the game, and all season for that fact. It’s simple thing, hockey is about doing the little things right.

-Play in position
Our only defensemen that had half-decent positioning were Dumoulin and Ruhwedel. Letang was constantly outside of the dots. Schultz was too wide plus didn’t play his position in the defensive zone. Maatta was brutal, and he was always below the goal line. I know that’s OKAY, but you have to be able to hold your own below the goal line, he did not hold his own. Oleksiak floated all over the place, especially in the second period.

We need a better showing tonight :popcorn:

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Bad period cost them the game but Jesus you all sound like spoiled babies. No wonder other teams fans can’t stand us, hell I can barely stand us after a loss. The world is not coming to an end, the worst part of the game was Geno going empty, that’s the only thing I care about until the playoffs. Yes Sully’s choice to ice the 4th and Sherry w 5 left is bad, yes the stopped playing after 2, yes they lost in OT but they are making the playoffs and with this team the playoffs are all that really matters. They can coast down the stretch as long as they bring it when it matters. If they coast in the playoffs then there is a problem. Breathe guys just breathe.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Crosby has back to back CSs.

For all I care he could float all year. He's earned it. He's done more than enough for this franchise.

Which he truly deserved neither of.

Having his butt kissed constantly by you and other people like you does nothing good to his level of motivation.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I think I should check the bottom of each cliff here for lose change.

Not sure WTF happened to Sheary? He seems to have no middle when it comes to game performance. HCMS needs to make some choices he might not like and the first is to sit Sheary for a few games.

I sincerely doubt, no matter what any of us think, Sprong is coming up.

DeSmtih let in a weak one in OT but all said he certainly wasn't THE reason we lost.

I think you need to give some credit to NY goalie. He made some pretty good saves considering how bad the Rangers were in the first 40 minutes. I also think you have to wonder WTF HCMS/whomever said during 2nd period intermission. The entire team, maybe minus one or two players, coasted in the last period. I think some credit needs to go to Rangers players for their push in the 3rd/OT.

HCMS really needs to get beyond what he likes and start getting to what is best for the team. Soon.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Another thing about our PP, if they aren’t going to get the puck to the net and instead try the cute passes constantly, then get another shooter in there. Having Horny stand in front of the net while Letang, Malkin, Kessel and Crosby play hot potato is pointless.

I say Shultz for LeTurnover solves most of the problems.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I'll tell you one thing: Whenever my wrestling coach yelled at us and gave us a red-flag day(running all practice), I ****ing listened. If you didn't make eye contact, you lead the running. It was bad. But, I don't know about the Penguins locker room and how Sullivan handles that kind of stuff.

Well you know how it works when greater half of the locker room makes more money than the HC, and some of them 2, 3 or 4 times more.

After this kind of treatment they get pissed and pouty and tune the HC out.

Inflated egos, thin skins and all that.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Look.. when letang is on he is great... but he looks like he is on a slow decline and he still has serious value ... this offseason I agree they should look to move him before he become a guy that costs assets to move. There will be guys who can fill his role available... they might not be as good but they won't be as bad either

Should've been traded years ago.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
That's kind of what I was getting at earlier. Tonight wasn't some one-off.

BUT, and I'm trying to be positive here (shocking, I know), but with Murray (hopefully) nearing a return, I'm hoping that will reverse the team's play as of late.

I think this team is similar to last year's team, in that they play differently based on who's in net. Played different for MAF last year, play different in front of DeSmith/Jarry this year.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I guess it explains the season the Pens are having right now... we never replaced Cole and Bones, the latter had insane chem with Hagelin and Kessel and well see what Sheahan do in the playoffs.

Also, without Malkin, we are at best in a wildcard spot.

EDIT: Goalies are an issue this season. We would easily be first in the division with Fleury instead of the rookies

I'm wondering where was this insane chem all last season long, including (and especially) in playoffs...

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Which he truly deserved neither of.

Having his butt kissed constantly by you and other people like you does nothing good to his level of motivation.
I mean, you could make a good case for other people to have won those, sure, but to say he deserved neither is just as incorrect. Multiple players both years could have won and had deserved it.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I mean, the silver lining is that I couldn't tune in until the 2nd so I didn't have to listen to Pierre suck up to Annie Savoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad