Post-Game Talk: Rangers 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Oh, Oh, Oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I mean, you could make a good case for other people to have won those, sure, but to say he deserved neither is just as incorrect. Multiple players both years could have won and had deserved it.

Last I checked the definition is "THE most valiable player in playoffs". "The@ - like, singular, not "ONE OF THE best...".

He wasn't THE best, nor the most valuable, player neither in 2016 PO (Kessel/Murray/Bonino) nor in 2017 (Malkin/Murr+MAF etc.)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Which he truly deserved neither of.

Having his butt kissed constantly by you and other people like you does nothing good to his level of motivation.

Yeah this argument has been disproved about a thousand times on these message boards alone. Not sure if you just wish to remain ignorant of facts and details or just like being stubborn in your views.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I am truly concerned with this defensive play. We have Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Oleksiak, Ruhwedel, and Hunwick as our 7 defensemen and I'm not sure this group can do what we did the last two years in the post-season when we had Hainsey, Daley, Cole, and even Lovejoy playing significant minutes.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I thought we played a solid 40 minutes. When we play like that we can run with any team. Yeah, they did stop playing in the 3rd but they know we are making the playoffs. Chances are good it's going to be the 2nd seed in the Metro, which is pretty awesome considering we were well out of a playoff spot until the first of the year. So if they want to cruise a bit so be it. I don't think it's going to cost us. Get Murray, ZAR, and Simon healthy and get ready to try for the 3 peat.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Missed the game. I'm not all that mad about the idea of throwing the division away with that loss. Much more upset that Geno didn't get points. Honestly, I'd probably rather they finish 2nd and face the Flyers than 1st and potentially face a red hot Panthers team, if they get in, or a speedy and sneaky skilled Devils team. Of course, the Devils could always jump the Flyers.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Missed the game. I'm not all that mad about the idea of throwing the division away with that loss. Much more upset that Geno didn't get points. Honestly, I'd probably rather they finish 2nd and face the Flyers than 1st and potentially face a red hot Panthers team, if they get in, or a speedy and sneaky skilled Devils team. Of course, the Devils could always jump the Flyers.

I am still fuming about G’s lack of points and that lame penalty shot this am....I think I want him to get the AR and the Hart more than he does....he better get 5 points tonight....

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Which he truly deserved neither of.

Having his butt kissed constantly by you and other people like you does nothing good to his level of motivation.

Well you know how it works when greater half of the locker room makes more money than the HC, and some of them 2, 3 or 4 times more.

After this kind of treatment they get pissed and pouty and tune the HC out.

Inflated egos, thin skins and all that.

You mean "If he is giving another CS for PR and marketing reasons"?

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In a group of negative and grumpy people, you stand out as the most negative and grumpiest. Congrats.

And this is coming from a bitter, angry, world-class grump.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The last thing I want to say in this thread is that I’m thankful they have another game tonight to make me forget about that 3rd period last night.

If they have another horrible game tonight, it’s going to be a long weekend until next Tuesday.

I’ll hit the panic button if they look horrible against the Habs.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
We have Brassard, Sheahan, Oleksiak and Letang this run though.

Plus a healthy Hagelin and Hornqvist, I think this gets forgotten.

Letang ain’t doing much difference this season, Brassard ain’t replacing Bonino right now and Sheahan is worse than Cullen. I like Oleksiak though.

Hagelin and Hornqvist may be healthy, but man they need to burry those chances.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
We'd also easily be first in the division with a healthy Murray. There was no justifiable reason to hold onto a backup making as much as Fleury.

We would have won in 2011 with a healthy Malkin and Crosby.

What’s the point?

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
The salary cap doesn't exist in your world?

Or are you in favor of taking up almost $10 million in cap space on the goalie situation (only one can even play every night, so almost half that would be sitting every game) rather than add depth like Brassard, etc.?

I’m not saying we should have kept all those players, but we’re certainly not a better team than last year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am truly concerned with this defensive play. We have Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Oleksiak, Ruhwedel, and Hunwick as our 7 defensemen and I'm not sure this group can do what we did the last two years in the post-season when we had Hainsey, Daley, Cole, and even Lovejoy playing significant minutes.

To put aside my name for a moment.

Wasn't this the exact same argument going into the playoffs last year, especially when it became clear that Letang was done for the year?

Reactions: Peat

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
The point is he is talking about this year not prior years. :huh:

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda game with the injuries. We can play that game all day with the Pens ;)

EDIT: We WOULD’VE had a better record with Murray in net, but he wasn’t. That’s why you need a proper backup knowing that Murr is injury prone.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That was the bit that made me rage most when I woke up alright.

Missing Cole there. Besides maybe Dumo, he was our best dman on pk.

Don't wanna say they're not missing Cole, as he's been a big part in the unit and the timing is awfully suspicious, but at the same time, they did manage 17 out of 19 when he was HSed in January. It should be doable without him.

I don't know to what extent its his fault, but our save percentage on the PK craters when Rowney is on the ice (since beginning of March). Its at 79.31 with Rowney on and 88.79 with him off. And that's why a third of all goals conceded shorthanded in this time period have been with Rowney on the ice despite him being out there for less than a fifth of it.

In fairness, up to that point, the save percentage was at 91.18. Its not like having Rowney out always makes everything suck (and who knows why that is). But recently... yeesh.

Wasn't this the exact same argument going into the playoffs last year, especially when it became clear that Letang was done for the year?

Yup.

In fairness, a good counter-argument might be that we were mostly astonished at how that went and starting from the same place doesn't sound great.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I do believe in fairies. I do.
Seriously Jaded, that's what this sounds like. Yes Letang was out last year, but this year his play has been inconsistent. And that's being generous. It might actually be better if he was out, then we could plan ahead. As it is, it's a crap shoot from period to period what version of Letang will be on the ice.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I’m not saying we should have kept all those players, but we’re certainly not a better team than last year.
I'll politely disagree. We had an AWFUL start to the season. I'd chalk that up to a tired team from playing way more hockey than any other team. Since the first of the year we have been one of the hottest teams in the league. Player wise, I'd take Brassard over Bonino 7 days a week and twice on Sunday, ZAR over Wilson, Big Rig and Cole are pretty much a wash, and a healthy Letang. I'd say we are in pretty good shape.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
It really makes you wonder....Trevor Daley > Kris Letang? One of Letang's biggest assets is his speed. Not seeing that when he gets beat on the edge like that. Not saying Daley is in fact better...just a passing thought.
My other concern, is last year the team gelled and worked well together when adversity hit. This year seems not as much. We have some big holes in the F group that wasn't really as pronounced last year.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
It really makes you wonder....Trevor Daley > Kris Letang? One of Letang's biggest assets is his speed. Not seeing that when he gets beat on the edge like that. Not saying Daley is in fact better...just a passing thought.
My other concern, is last year the team gelled and worked well together when adversity hit. This year seems not as much. We have some big holes in the F group that wasn't really as pronounced last year.
Trevor Daley can't even hold Letang's jock. Yeah, he been inconsistent all season but he still has more points this season that Daley has the last 2 years.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017

Daley in the playoffs for us > Healthy Letang this season.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Trevor Daley can't even hold Letang's jock. Yeah, he been inconsistent all season but he still has more points this season that Daley has the last 2 years.
lol now now, it was a thought. And TBH I am not sure we need huge point production. I would settle for playing defense in our zone, not turning over the puck and having solid exits. Letang has the skills to do so...but for whatever reason has fallen short this year too many times for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->