Confirmed with Link: Randy Lee Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If they have to promote internally - and they probably do - then Mann is head and shoulders better than giving the gig to Jim Clark.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As a speculative thought, I wonder if Randy Lee resigning is in anyway associated with a potential sale of the Senators. Randy Lee choosing to resign opens up the possibility that he could receive a severance package whereas if he was terminated then he would be left with nothing. If a Senators sale was close, then it would be highly likely that the new owners would clean house and terminate a large portion of the staff and in particular Randy Lee would certainly be terminated. Assuming Melnyk has some affinity for Lee and has valued his time with the organization, if Melnyk was close to selling, he could push Lee to resign so that he would receive a severance package instead of being terminated and left with nothing.

My understanding is that if you resign from a position, it is of your own accord and no severance would be paid. However, if the company terminates an employee severance may be required to be paid depending upon the employment terms because the company made the decision, not the employee.

I suspect that Lee and the team discussed the situation and came to an agreement on how to proceed including any payments for terminating his employment by form of resignation rather than firing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Tim was the AGM no? And what exactly has PD done as GM that has people so upset again? Trading Dahlin, and having Duchene instead of next year's first?

I don't see Mann as being the guy, he just got promoted into his current position. My guess is that then interview and more from outside the organization. From the looks of things PD is pretty serious about Bellville being good next year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bert, I get that you're in a hurry for the Sens to crash and burn so you can be right and all, but I'm not sure I can be of any service to you, I didn't mention a scouting hire at all.

You know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you misquoted my post.

Cheers!

I am not in a hurry for the sens to crash and burn... Its the facts they lost the two scouts that went after Karlsson and Chabot and have not replaced them. Now they have lost the AGM and they are likely replacing him with the current head scout. Meaning they are down 3 scouts. I want this organization to be successful I dont want this circus. However I am going to point out whats happening when the team I have cheered for for 25 years is a pathetic excuse for the NHL organization.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Tim was the AGM no? And what exactly has PD done as GM that has people so upset again? Trading Dahlin, and having Duchene instead of next year's first?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/pierre-dorions-trade-tracker.2505555/

I think one of Dorion's most embarrassing moments as GM was getting publically humiliated by Doug Wilson. That was really an exclamation point on three important things: 1. Dorion's inability to assess where his team is at. 2. His poor asset management skills 3. The rest of the league has no respect for him as a peer.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't see Mann as being the guy, he just got promoted into his current position. My guess is that then interview and more from outside the organization. From the looks of things PD is pretty serious about Bellville being good next year.

I would rather he be more serious about the home team. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I am not in a hurry for the sens to crash and burn... Its the facts they lost the two scouts that went after Karlsson and Chabot and have not replaced them. Now they have lost the AGM and they are likely replacing him with the current head scout. Meaning they are down 3 scouts. I want this organization to be successful I dont want this circus. However I am going to point out whats happening when the team I have cheered for for 25 years is a pathetic excuse for the NHL organization.

I'll go along with you if and when that happens. We can't slam Bruce for fluff and donuts on the one hand and then take speculation from him as fact on the other.

We definitely need more bodies on the organizational side of things, and they have been arriving slowly. Let's see where this goes first because a nice little trend is being set there. If Mann gets the nod with no replacements i would also start to worry. Scouting and development are bread and butter for a budget team. I just don't see us beefing up Bellville only to rip down our scouting side, especially since PD is a heart and soul scout.

I'll watch and wait for sure...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would rather he be more serious about the home team. :)

I'd also like to see more action, but at this believe that there are things in the mix that are holding transactions up. It's hopeful thinking for sure, and maybe it's all smoke and mirrors and we end up losing all three guys, but until then I'll stick to what makes me feel good :)

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

I think one of Dorion's most embarrassing moments as GM was getting publically humiliated by Doug Wilson. That was really an exclamation point on three important things: 1. Dorion's inability to assess where his team is at. 2. His poor asset management skills 3. The rest of the league has no respect for him as a peer.
Doug Wilson has no respect for Dorion. Embarrassing.

And lol, didn’t know Blackwood + Anderson got us Gagne. Yikes.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
This attitude that French is adversarial or something that should be feared is based purely on ignorance. Knowledge of other languages is not a threat. I implore folks to do some travelling outside of Canada to Europe or even the Caribbean. For example, in Aruba, even the busboys speak 4-5 languages fluently. It is not because they are marvellously intelligent. It is because speaking many languages is expected and is a part of their culture. And since French is a major part of our Canadian heritage and culture, expecting the senior managerial staff of an NHL team in the nation's capital to speak both official languages (or at least have some knowledge) is a positive attribute. Not sure how anyone can personally be irritated by that.

The Ottawa Senators should certainly strive to find talent that can connect with the community. By ignoring the French community, they would be cutting off a huge portion of the fan base.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Dude, this is you making something out of nothing here as usual. It's embarrassing that our own fans work so hard to create fictional embarrassing events with our team as the butt of it. Like seriously, we have more fans coming up with clever was to insult our team than we have those willing to defend it.

The reality is that PD didn't want picks, he was very clear on that. So if you as a fan would have preferred picks then fine, have at the man for his preference over yours, but Wilson didn't do squat to embarrass PD or the team.

Wilson also got crap for Hoffman (who wasn't a rush trade because he was a locker room cancer and his GF was hated by the captain's family) and would have been far better served to have him play on his team. The chances of that second or third becoming as good a player as Boedker is low, let alone becoming as good a scoring threat as Hoffman can potentially be.

The rest of the league voted him as runner up for GM of the year, so again, you're off on your assessment, but you're super on with your irrational need to try and humiliate the team you cheer for.

This board is embarrassing with it's collection of posters working over time to diss the team. So much for rallying together against outsiders hey? I honestly don't see the fun in dissing my own team, especially when you have to try so hard in some instances.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
If they havent actively been searching for a new assistant gm since the minute they found out about the assault...things are worse than i could have imagined.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If they havent actively been searching for a new assistant gm since the minute they found out about the assault...things are worse than i could have imagined.

Exactly. The writing was on the wall immediately, and given that these guys would have been privy to what happened both alleged, and Lee's versions, it's most likely that PD knew that Lee was never going to be able to return as an AGM.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah again, I see two trades that people have issues with. One was a hefty payment for a guy that flopped the following year, and the other was for our #1 centre who people seem to expect us to have gotten for scraps.

The rest is fine, especially what we got for Brass and Lazar...
Anderson signing, Gaborik trade, Condon signing, Hoffman trade, drafting Tkachuk, Zibanejad trade, Thompson signing, Oduya signing, losing Methot in expansion with no replacement, Smith signing off the top of my head.

Reactions: bert and Engineer

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Totally agreed.

Being a scout and being in a management position is completely different.

That's why I'd rather see Ottawa take their time with former players like a Donovan or Alfredsson. Playing, coaching, scouting, managing....all different skillsets. Being a GM (or AGM) requires a lot of different skills. It's a damned hard job to do, and a lot of qualified people fail at it at the NHL level.

If we're serious about one day looking at GM-Alfie, then he needs to spend several years mastering the lower level positions first, before promoting him to AGM.

Reactions: Boud

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Mann and if they want to promote from within he would be the first one that comes to mind. I would rather keep him as our chief scout/ director of scouting and would not want that area to suffer. I don't know if Mann would feel passed over , if they hired from the outside. The front office needs an extreme makeover.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I like Mann and if they want to promote from within he would be the first one that comes to mind. I would rather keep him as our chief scout/ director of scouting and would not want that area to suffer. I don't know if Mann would feel passed over , if they hired from the outside. The front office needs an extreme makeover.
Just give Mann a raise anyways.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
One problem with an outside hire at this time of year is going to be the willingness of teams to let us even speak to prospective candidates. Why are they going to let us poach a quality hockey ops/player development person just as the season is beginning?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Anderson signing, Gaborik trade, Condon signing, Hoffman trade, drafting Tkachuk, Zibanejad trade, Thompson signing, Oduya signing, losing Methot in expansion with no replacement, Smith signing off the top of my head.

Andy signing was fine in the context of the season he went through and the numbers he was able to provide. People want everyone to be treated like robots until it suits them for people to be treated like people. Team respect was shown Andy, who deserved it. He wasn't good last year, along with the rest of the team, but he earned that contract offer, and hopefully will live up to it starting this season.

Gaborik trade was an obvious money deal to get out from under P9's buyout proof contract. You all complained non stop about P9 on the team, and now that he's traded it goes on the last of bad trades... Please.... (snap, snap, snap)... It was a miracle that we found a taker, we have a free space on D now, have a guy that will either be on LTIR or bought out, and we saved money, again, the reason for the trade along with getting rid of an anchor deal.

Condon signing was fine, he came off a season saving season, and is making decent back up money. He had a rough go last year like everyone, but his deal isn't out of line for what he's shown, and it's not breaking the bank.

Hoffman trade was quick and dirty to appease EK after news broke of how deep the issues went. We got a solid NHLer back and went on our way. The draft pick warriors of course are up in arms, but the start show how unlikely a second around pick is ever to be as good as guy like Boedker is now, not to mention his chemistry with our number one centre.

Drafting BT was a consensus solid #4 pick amongst all pro scouts. You stand alone in your assessment of him so I won't bother dealing with you on this further.

Zibby trade, much like Turris, was a solid deal We got a better player for our team, a nice run, and a cheaper deal, for a guy that has consistency and effort issues that we didn't want to commit long term dollars to. I mean, if PD didn't want Zibby as part of his long term plans, the time to trade him was when he did. We then flipped Brassard for our top goalie prospect and two solid draft picks this year. This was a nice win for us in the end.

Thompson? Really? Cheap deal for a 4th line centre who was fine for us. Instead of what, playing a rookie there? You're reaching dog, lame example.

Oduya was a fine veteran pick up, over used by GB. He wasn't as bad as many folks claim, but he was not a top line D man, but was often used as such.

Losing Method in the expansion draft was fine. While he may have been a glue guy, he was not a top line defender, was making a lot of money for how injury prone he was, and in the end we're better off without him going forward. Sure our D suffered being a man down, but such is life after an expansion draft. Picking up a replacement of similar dollars was obviously not an option given the roster budget.

Smith is fine, hardly overpaid for what he brings in a regular year. He was deserving of the contract when it was signed.

This list makes me laugh as 90% of it are small roll players that teams takes chances on all across the league, and money deals that we have to make here and there to make the books balance.

This is hardly a list of trades to indict a GM over, especially one who has operated under the conditions ours has, while trying for a run, and attempting to maintain a playoff team. It's pretty weak really.

Reactions: pzeeman

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
One problem with an outside hire at this time of year is going to be the willingness of teams to let us even speak to prospective candidates. Why are they going to let us poach a quality hockey ops/player development person just as the season is beginning?

Forgive me for asking but how is it different pre-season vs other times?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dude, this is you making something out of nothing here as usual. It's embarrassing that our own fans work so hard to create fictional embarrassing events with our team as the butt of it. Like seriously, we have more fans coming up with clever was to insult our team than we have those willing to defend it.

The reality is that PD didn't want picks, he was very clear on that. So if you as a fan would have preferred picks then fine, have at the man for his preference over yours, but Wilson didn't do squat to embarrass PD or the team.

Wilson also got crap for Hoffman (who wasn't a rush trade because he was a locker room cancer and his GF was hated by the captain's family) and would have been far better served to have him play on his team. The chances of that second or third becoming as good a player as Boedker is low, let alone becoming as good a scoring threat as Hoffman can potentially be.

The rest of the league voted him as runner up for GM of the year, so again, you're off on your assessment, but you're super on with your irrational need to try and humiliate the team you cheer for.

This board is embarrassing with it's collection of posters working over time to diss the team. So much for rallying together against outsiders hey? I honestly don't see the fun in dissing my own team, especially when you have to try so hard in some instances.

I cant believe you actually see it this way. He is 100 percent correct in what happened, did you not listen to the press conference from Dale Tallon?

Reactions: BondraTime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad