Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
sports? nope. all English.

They show Senators games on RDS.

But yes, in general, it takes a lot more effort because we live in a saturated English culture. Unfortunately, it's not easy but there are definite benefits, particularly in this town.

It's very easy for us to travel globally as a result because everyone else learns English.

Despite the fact that I speak German, I rarely had to speak it all in my recent trip to Munich and Vienna which was surprising because I grew up there and it was a lot different even in the 80s. For the most part, a lot of people's English was better than my German.

Anyway, I do think that in Ottawa, French is an asset with respect to the Senators but not a requirement, unlike in Montreal, which is a good thing IMO. I'm not sure if the pool of candidates is large enough when it comes to professional hockey coaching / management experience.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They show Senators games on RDS.

But yes, in general, it takes a lot more effort because we live in a saturated English culture. Unfortunately, it's not easy but there are definite benefits, particularly in this town.

It's very easy for us to travel globally as a result because everyone else learns English.

Despite the fact that I speak German, I rarely had to speak it all in my recent trip to Munich and Vienna which was surprising because I grew up there and it was a lot different even in the 80s. For the most part, a lot of people's English was better than my German.

Anyway, I do think that in Ottawa, French is an asset with respect to the Senators but not a requirement, unlike in Montreal, which is a good thing IMO. I'm not sure if the pool of candidates is large enough when it comes to professional hockey coaching / management experience.

I grew up watching the Habs in french. it was a treat to get a Habs game in English. My school learned french was just never strong enough to enable me to further capitalize on it.

Germany eh? I remember being there 20 years ago and a homeless person asking me for money. I responded in English that I didn't understand. he switched languages and yakked at me for 5 minutes on how he arrived in his set of circumstances. I was amazed. and he earned a few bucks from me.

Reactions: NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thought I saw on twitter he’s going back to New Jersey.
Yeah, heard the same on the radio.

Anyways, this thread's run it's course, I'll make a new one for the search for a new AGM. A mod can unlock this one whenever Lee's hearing happens if people still care enough to talk about it at length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad