Random trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I downloaded the same pic to use on my FB profile every now and then. Not like I have his hockey card or anything.

... :laugh: the Spraguester huh? Variously described as a "Monster, Psychopath, One of the Games Greatest Defencemen All Time". Very short fuse & viscous. Never forgave Ottawa for getting rid of him after helping them win the SC in 1920 & took it out on the hydes of their players. In one game putting 4 guys in the infirmary. His own team suspending him for the rest of the season they were so appalled and before the NHL even had a chance to act.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
... :laugh: the Spraguester huh? Variously described as a "Monster, Psychopath, One of the Games Greatest Defencemen All Time". Very short fuse & viscous. Never forgave Ottawa for getting rid of him after helping them win the SC in 1920 & took it out on the hydes of their players. In one game putting 4 guys in the infirmary. His own team suspending him for the rest of the season they were so appalled and before the NHL even had a chance to act.

You mean like if Pittsburgh had intervened with Matt Cooke before the NHL did? Sacrilege!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Didn't know that about him. He could have been swimming in the bottom of a river for doing that.

... ya, and the NOHA suspended him when they found about it so the job Aurel had lined up with the Saskatoon Shieks evaporated as the suspension also held in the WHL. He wound up pitching wheat for awhile before being acquired by the Habs. Prior to Beliveau wearing #4, that was Joliats number & the one older generations thought of when they saw it, of Aurel Joliat. When the # was retired, shared by Beliveau & Joliat.... Also interesting to note that its a wonder he had a career at all. As a teenager, he apparently slipped & fell off the families steep pitched roof of their home, lands 2 stories down flat on his back. WHUMP! Fall like that, break your neck no problem. Guy just gets up, dusts himself off, walks away & forgets about it. Small wiry lil fella apparently.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Aha. The original "Big Train". Brother to Odie. One of the first rushing defenceman influenced by his one-time team mate Fred Cyclone Taylor....
though what land those given & surnames hail from I know not. Seriously eccentric. Maybe Yorkshire.

Yeah, I was reading up on the discussion of the top 60 dman list, and Cleghorn was up for voting. Didn't know much about him but after reading up on his exploits and his on ice "extracurricular activities", I instantly became a fan of his. :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, I was reading up on the discussion of the top 60 dman list, and Cleghorn was up for voting. Didn't know much about him but after reading up on his exploits and his on ice "extracurricular activities", I instantly became a fan of his. :laugh:

Ya, and the line sometimes tossed around "look pal, dont be going all Sprague Cleghorn on me here" or whatever. :laugh:

And lets see BigPhil, without looking it up............. Allan Bester?

GrahamClayton

Aug 11, 2013
The only legally deaf player in the history of the NHL was Jim Kyte, who played 598 games for the Winnipeg Jets, Pittsburgh Penguins, Calgary Flames, Ottawa Senators and the San Jose Sharks between 1982 and 1996. Kyte wore a special helmet with earflaps to protect his hearing aids.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Todd Marchant

Are you sure it was a short handed goal? I'm not sure it is what is reported on in his Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Marchant#Edmonton_Oilers

We do have this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Stanley_Cup_playoffs#Conference_semi-finals

Ottawa returned home for game five with hopes of pulling even closer. The game went to overtime but ended quickly as Jason Pominville scored a shorthanded goal just 2:26 in to end the Senators' season. There had been six short-handed overtime goals in Stanley Cup Playoff history up to this point, but this was the first one to ever end a series. This put the Sabres into the Eastern Conference Final for the third time in the past eight seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad