Random trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Guess: What is the winningest franchise in NHL history (in terms of percentage of regular season wins)?

Montreal and Philly are the only 2 teams that have won more than 50% of their games in NHL history (Habs at 51.33% and Flyers at 50.03%).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Only player to hoist a Memorial Cup (Kitchener Rangers) Calder Cup (Philadelphia Phantoms) and Stanley Cup (Los Angeles Kings) as a player.
(richards)

so, we need to look at a coach

I definitely don't think there is a coach that did this. World Cup and Olympics are in there too. Now, I may look foolish after saying this but I get the feeling the OP made a mistake and that it is Niedermayer but he forgot the Calder Cup part. Winning a World Cup is a small window. There have only been two tournaments unless we are counting the Canada Cups.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yup, sorry guys. I thought Niedermayer was the only player to win at every level. He did everything but win a Calder

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
You're the winner, Haha!

Not the prettiest right answer, I'll admit...

I refuse to believe nobody did this. Somebody did. Probably not all as a player but a combination of playing, coaching, assistant coaching or whatever it takes to be a part of a winning organization. I'm assuming that Canada Cups count as World Cups. It's the same tournament, just rebranded.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Easy one -

The only coach in the Triple Gold club (Stanley Cup, World Championships and Olympic games gold medal)

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
I definitely don't think there is a coach that did this. World Cup and Olympics are in there too. Now, I may look foolish after saying this but I get the feeling the OP made a mistake and that it is Niedermayer but he forgot the Calder Cup part. Winning a World Cup is a small window. There have only been two tournaments unless we are counting the Canada Cups.

Pat Quinn is the closest and he'll probably do it someday.

Memorial Cup: Oil Kings 1963 and Giants 2007
Calder Cup: 78-79 Maine Mariners
Olympic Gold: 2002
World Cup: 2004
Stanley Cup: XXXXX so far only the finals with Flyers and 'Nucks

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I refuse to believe nobody did this. Somebody did. Probably not all as a player but a combination of playing, coaching, assistant coaching or whatever it takes to be a part of a winning organization. I'm assuming that Canada Cups count as World Cups. It's the same tournament, just rebranded.

Well I support you. It would help make me feel less foolish. And I think I meant world championships (men's) and not the world cup.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hap Holmes and Jack Marshall are the only players in history to win 4 Cups with 4 different franchises.

Holmes: Toronto Blueshirts (1914), Seattle Metropolitans (1917), Toronto Arenas (1918), Victoria Cougars (1925).

Marshall: Winnipeg Victorias (1901), Montreal HC (1902, 1903), Montreal Wanderers (1909, 1910), Toronto Blueshirts (1914).

Wow, didn't know that, i was thinking more modern though.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's a little small, but I know it isn't Morenz and it doesn't look like Joe Malone either. It looks like Joliat.

That would be my best guess Phil.... and did you hear the story about how Aurel when playing for Iroquois Falls in the Senior NOHA accepted $500 from gamblers to throw the game? Took the dough then went out & scored 6 goals hammering the opposition, winning the game. He then snuck out of town & boarded a train for Saskatchewan where he had another hockey gig & job lined up.... quite the character. Imagine being a Mercenary Pro back in those days.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Correct. :handclap: How did you know? :)

Aha. The original "Big Train". Brother to Odie. One of the first rushing defenceman influenced by his one-time team mate Fred Cyclone Taylor....
though what land those given & surnames hail from I know not. Seriously eccentric. Maybe Yorkshire.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
That would be my best guess Phil.... and did you hear the story about how Aurel when playing for Iroquois Falls in the Senior NOHA accepted $500 from gamblers to throw the game? Took the dough then went out & scored 6 goals hammering the opposition, winning the game. He then snuck out of town & boarded a train for Saskatchewan where he had another hockey gig & job lined up.... quite the character. Imagine being a Mercenary Pro back in those days.

Didn't know that about him. He could have been swimming in the bottom of a river for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad