Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
We're coming in from South Carolina, so I think we're coming in I-95, to I-40, and then take I-40 around the south-to-southwest side of the city to PNC Arena. You see any issues with that route? Thanks!

Everybody's already touched on the Fortify work going on on I-40. The only issue on that route is that I-95 between Florence and Fayetteville will absolutely put you to sleep (South of the Border and Lumberton aside). I used to go that way going back home to Columbia and always hated that part of the trip.

We're planning on staying in a hotel on Chapel Hill road. Any issues with that area? Thanks!

Not really. It's one of the main connections between Raleigh and Cary - there's not much immediately around that area in terms of stuff to eat in that immediate area (Sheetz and a McDonalds, if I recall correctly), but if you go into Cary or Raleigh you should be good to go. If you're at all a fan of Greek/Lebanese cuisine, check out La Shish in Cary. Delicious and everything's made fresh.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Everybody's already touched on the Fortify work going on on I-40. The only issue on that route is that I-95 between Florence and Fayetteville will absolutely put you to sleep (South of the Border and Lumberton aside). I used to go that way going back home to Columbia and always hated that part of the trip.

Not really. It's one of the main connections between Raleigh and Cary - there's not much immediately around that area in terms of stuff to eat in that immediate area (Sheetz and a McDonalds, if I recall correctly), but if you go into Cary or Raleigh you should be good to go. If you're at all a fan of Greek/Lebanese cuisine, check out La Shish in Cary. Delicious and everything's made fresh.

Neomande is in the area as well. That place is awesome!

Reactions: DaveG

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Feedback on the game:

We stayed at Arena Inn and Suites across the street. Not great but good enough for a family of five just looking for someplace to sleep at the end of the game. Easy ten minute walk to the game.

Military and college rush was pretty good. We got great seats in section 114. As Sabres fans, we were ok with that end. Ticket prices were real good.

PNC arena had a ton of smaller food places, instead of a few big places. I liked it, since lines were short. Also, the staff at the arena was very friendly. Far cry from a place like Boston or Pittsburgh.

The replication of a hurricane with the lights and sound at the beginning of the game was neat. So was the siren sounder. I think you guys should use the siren sounder for goals. Really, really cool.

I thought your mascot was a raccoon as first. Seemed odd - too Tennessee. Then I realized it was an ice hog. Who knew?

Videos during breaks were cool. Good job by the team PR.

You guys need to work on your goal song.

Crowd was way bigger than the gossip/rumors lead one to believe. Not a sellout, but it wasn't close to the empty morgue folks say it is. Good environment.

Hoping the Sabres play there twice next season. We'll be back for sure! Thanks for all the help and advice!

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Did my annual holiday pilgrimage yesterday. Thought Brewery Bhavana was fantastic. I’ve done dim sum in the Chinese neighborhoods in New York and at a Michelin starred place in Hong Kong, and Bhavana was the best I’ve had (probably not a fair comparison because it’s more upscale and expensive than those places, but still).

I was also able to hit Trophy and Crank Arm and had Fullsteam and Aviator so overall I was pretty pleased with myself.

Also Union Station is looking good.

Reactions: Breakdowns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Just throwing this out there, but downtown Cary has actually become worth a visit. For the longest time it was a downtown in name only, but they just got done with a massive place-making project that included a total upfit of the pedestrian streetscape, addition of a plaza-style park, and installation of art pieces. Also the past couple of years have seen the opening of an independent movie theater, a nice hotel, and several pretty solid nightlife spots. It's to the point now where there are actual crowds of people strolling around on any given night, and the bars are packed.

Considering where it was 5 years ago, it's a really impressive transformation.

Drove by there when I was here for Thanksgiving. Last time I was in that area was maybe 3 years ago? Right before the theater opened I think. Lots of people out and about. It definitely was not the Downtown Cary I was used to, it's nice to see them finally capitalize on all that potential.

That park is pretty cool FWIW. The fountain lights up at night, nice touch.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did my annual holiday pilgrimage yesterday. Thought Brewery Bhavana was fantastic. I’ve done dim sum in the Chinese neighborhoods in New York and at a Michelin starred place in Hong Kong, and Bhavana was the best I’ve had (probably not a fair comparison because it’s more upscale and expensive than those places, but still).

My wife and I went there recently. I must say, the hype is real. I had the chocolate rye stout which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm always wary of chocolate stouts or porters because more often than not, the chocolate is way too pronounced for my liking, but this one, IMO, was very well balanced and thoroughly enjoyable. We had 2 different types of dumplings, some vegetarian egg rolls, and split a lo mein main dish (but took half of it home). Every single item was without question the best I've had of that dish. The dim sum, as you said, was the best I have had. The egg rolls, were perfectly crisp without being too greasy, and I'm usually not a fan of lo mein, but this was delicious. The service was also fantastic.

I would say my only complaint would be the noise level in the place. Because of how it's laid out with the high, open ceiling with only curtains partitioning off the bar and two eating areas; and with the kitchen just behind a wall but still open, it's quite loud in there. That said, I'll definitely be going back.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I will have to check out Cary. I live out in the boonies in Chapel Hill 10 mins from Pittsboro. We have our own little town in my mega neighborhood. I don't even have to leave the neighborhood to go to 1 of 4 restaurants and a bar!

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
My wife and I went there recently. I must say, the hype is real. I had the chocolate rye stout which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm always wary of chocolate stouts or porters because more often than not, the chocolate is way too pronounced for my liking, but this one, IMO, was very well balanced and thoroughly enjoyable. We had 2 different types of dumplings, some vegetarian egg rolls, and split a lo mein main dish (but took half of it home). Every single item was without question the best I've had of that dish. The dim sum, as you said, was the best I have had. The egg rolls, were perfectly crisp without being too greasy, and I'm usually not a fan of lo mein, but this was delicious. The service was also fantastic.

I would say my only complaint would be the noise level in the place. Because of how it's laid out with the high, open ceiling with only curtains partitioning off the bar and two eating areas; and with the kitchen just behind a wall but still open, it's quite loud in there. That said, I'll definitely be going back.
Definitely agree on the noise level. Off the charts if you are dining and want to have a conversation. We had a table of four against the far wall and it was impossible to talk. Food was quite good, not the best I've ever had, and really enjoyed the beer. Wait staff is very educated on both the food and beer - a real rarity here. I'd go back at an off-time and eat at the bar though I think.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Definitely agree on the noise level. Off the charts if you are dining and want to have a conversation. We had a table of four against the far wall and it was impossible to talk. Food was quite good, not the best I've ever had, and really enjoyed the beer. Wait staff is very educated on both the food and beer - a real rarity here. I'd go back at an off-time and eat at the bar though I think.

In fairness, I don't have Dim Sum often, but have had it in Singapore and Japan, so my "best I've had" is a limited sample size. Also, like I said, I'm not usually a fan of lo mein so it surprised me that it was good.

Good point on the wait staff. First, I checked in about 20 minutes early so we could have a drink first and the place was packed. Yet, they remembered my face/name so when the table was ready, they picked me out of a crowded bar, and it was a different person than who we checked in with. Our waitress was phenomenal. Extremely knowledgeable and generally happy and outgoing. Really added to the experience, which like you said, is rare. The owner was also walking around talking to people and seemed generally interested in how things were going (vs. just a walk by saying "everything ok?")

One other thing I forgot to mention. Our reservation was 8:30 on a Friday and by that time, they were already out of 3 beers, including the 1 stout I had when we first got there, and 2-3 different food items as well. Didn't affect us as the were out of items we didn't want, but if you have your heart set on something, it may be gone by the time you eat on a busy night.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
In fairness, I don't have Dim Sum often, but have had it in Singapore and Japan, so my "best I've had" is a limited sample size. Also, like I said, I'm not usually a fan of lo mein so it surprised me that it was good.

Good point on the wait staff. First, I checked in about 20 minutes early so we could have a drink first and the place was packed. Yet, they remembered my face/name so when the table was ready, they picked me out of a crowded bar, and it was a different person than who we checked in with. Our waitress was phenomenal. Extremely knowledgeable and generally happy and outgoing. Really added to the experience, which like you said, is rare. The owner was also walking around talking to people and seemed generally interested in how things were going (vs. just a walk by saying "everything ok?")

One other thing I forgot to mention. Our reservation was 8:30 on a Friday and by that time, they were already out of 3 beers, including the 1 stout I had when we first got there, and 2-3 different food items as well. Didn't affect us as the were out of items we didn't want, but if you have your heart set on something, it may be gone by the time you eat on a busy night.
Yes, the owner stopped by our table too. Refreshing that it wasn't the lame "was everything delicious tonight" routine. The wait staff had tried every dish and every beer based on the Q&A that went on at our table. Not uncommon in NY, DC and Chicago but very uncommon here.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

I'm planning on taking my wife for her birthday either this weekend or next week, any idea on how early I should be making a reservation on a weekend vs. weekday, or if even necessary on a weekday?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm planning on taking my wife for her birthday either this weekend or next week, any idea on how early I should be making a reservation on a weekend vs. weekday, or if even necessary on a weekday?

Just look on opentable.com. If you want a reservation for 7(ish) pm on a Friday or Saturday, forget it unless someone cancels. Last time I looked, it was out til March for that. We made ours (8:45ish on a Friday) about 2-3 weeks out IIRC. Can't really say about weekday or Sunday's though as I didn't look

Edit: Just looked at open table and here is what's available.

This Thursday: 5pm, 9:15, 9:45
This Friday only 5pm and 10pm left
This Saturday only 10:30pm left
This Sunday: 9, 9:15, 9:30, 10:00

Next Thursday (1/11): 5:00, 5:15, 8:30, 8:45, 9:00, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45
Next Friday (1/12): 10:15, 10:30, 10:45, 11:00
Next Saturday (1/13): Slots 10:00 - 11:30
Next Sunday (1/14): Slots 9:00-9:45

I'd definitely make a reservation no matter what day you choose.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Was having a look at other sports that are on while I'm in the area to attend as a neutral. Dundon has been so complimentary of the college basketball in the area that I thought I'd have a look.

Turns out NC State are playing UNC at PNC Arena on the day of the Vancouver game I'm attending. Looks like it's quite awkward to get tickets for that one - but would be cool to go.

Does anyone have any hints/tips on tickets, or any other sporting recommendations (5th-14th February)

Reactions: Breakdowns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad