Confirmed with Link: Rakell to PIT for 2nd/Clang(goalie prospect)/ZAR/Simon

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still don't buy the idea that Rakell is going to end up in the Penguins bottom-6 long term. Sullivan already started experimenting some with Rakell with Malkin yesterday, I think they had a couple of shifts later in the game together.

I think the only way that Rakell doesn't end up with Crosby or Malkin is if Rakell-Carter-Kapanen is such a good 3rd line that you can't justify breaking it up. Not only that, but I think there is effectively zero chance that Rakell ever ends up on the Penguins 4th line, either.

I think the incredibly likely scenario is that the Penguins run with one of these two:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Rakell
Heinen-Carter-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Rodrigues

or

Guentzel-Crosby-Rodrigues
Zucker/Rakell-Malkin-Rust
Rakell/Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
Heinen-Blueger-McGinn

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I still don't buy the idea that Rakell is going to end up in the Penguins bottom-6 long term. Sullivan already started experimenting some with Rakell with Malkin yesterday, I think they had a couple of shifts later in the game together.

I think the only way that Rakell doesn't end up with Crosby or Malkin is if Rakell-Carter-Kapanen is such a good 3rd line that you can't justify breaking it up. Not only that, but I think there is effectively zero chance that Rakell ever ends up on the Penguins 4th line, either.
I thought Sully is longing for a new HBK line, but than he was adamant at the press conference that he does not have intention to keep him on the third line...I think he is moving up to play with G

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought Sully is longing for a new HBK line, but than he was adamant at the press conference that he does not have intention to keep him on the third line...I think he is moving up to play with G

If that's the case I'm throwing out what Marek said entirely. If Sullivan is making it clear he'll be in Pittsburgh's top-6, I don't give a crap what Marek thinks :laugh:

I didn't know Sullivan said that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well here's your quote from Sullivan on Rakell on the 3rd line from the article above:

Rakell ended up with two shots in 14:08 of ice time, with Sullivan saying he produced an overall solid performance under the circumstances. The coaching staff had Rakell slot in on left wing on the third line alongside Jeff Carter and Kapanen for tonight, but Sullivan said he doesn't envision him playing there in the long term.

"We're trying to put players in positions to be successful, so I think if we had put him in the top-6 tonight, it would have been a real tough challenge and maybe an unfair challenge," Sullivan said before adding, "For any player, for that matter. So I would envision our coaching staff moving some people around here over the next few days, once Rakell gets more familiar with how we're trying to play, and we get more familiar with him."

So yeah, Marek is just wrong and is going off of Burke's misquote.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Burke was literally like “when people say guys are Swiss Army knives, they’re bullshitting you and they’re bottom six guys. But Rakell is a Swiss Army knife in your bottom six.”

He clearly meant to emphasize top six to praise both Rakells versatility and skill.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Burke was literally like “when people say guys are Swiss Army knives, they’re bullshitting you and they’re bottom six guys. But Rakell is a Swiss Army knife in your bottom six.”

He clearly meant to emphasize top six to praise both Rakells versatility and skill.

Burke and Marek were co-hosts. Marek broke the deal. I’m sure Marek knows more than us.

@Empoleon8771 it was on the Marek vs Wysh part.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

we could have a new HBK line if we wanted…Heinen- Blueger-Kapanen

Reactions: vodeni

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Burke and Marek were co-hosts. Marek broke the deal. I’m sure Marek knows more than us.

@Empoleon8771 it was on the Marek vs Wysh part.

Marek doesn’t “know” anything beyond not paying attention to what Burke said or not wanting to ask him to clarify.

It’s beyond obvious what Burke was trying to say, only further confined by Sullivan saying that he’s going in the top six.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Marek doesn’t “know” anything beyond not paying attention to what Burke said or not wanting to ask him to clarify.

It’s beyond obvious what Burke was trying to say, only further confined by Sullivan saying that he’s going in the top six.

Marek just randomly has a great relationship with Brian Burke and broke the Rakell trade. Got it.

Reactions: Fiji Water

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He also didn’t say anything about him being in the top six.

"We're trying to put players in positions to be successful, so I think if we had put him in the top-6 tonight, it would have been a real tough challenge and maybe an unfair challenge"

So you don't think this implies "he'll be in the top-6 when he gets more acclimated"?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
"We're trying to put players in positions to be successful, so I think if we had put him in the top-6 tonight, it would have been a real tough challenge and maybe an unfair challenge"

So you don't think this implies "he'll be in the top-6 when he gets more acclimated"?

I mean, it’s Sullivan.

Would you put it past him to not play Rakell in the top six?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad