OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: To Hollywood; Sans A Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think these last ~2 months of the season have been particularly frustrating. The Cards have several injuries to their offense and it looks like they will start slowing down. So what happens? Stephen Piscotty and Tommy Pham start carrying their offense by performing at a level they never managed to reach in the minors. How is this possible? Who the hell are these guys? Losing Grinchuk and Holliday for a time only to have these guys carry the offense is like if Cutch and Marte went down only for Lambo and Decker to hit at an all star level out of nowhere.

You guys are suspicious of Arrieta using ped's? How about the Cardinals as an organization?

Tommy Pham career:

Minors (2006-2015)- .258 avg, .340 obp, .415 slg, .755 ops

Majors (this season)- .278 avg, .352 obp, .500 slg, .852 ops

Stephen Piscotty career:

Minors (2012-2015)- .295 avg, .365 obp, .455 slg, .820 ops

Majors (this season)- .313 avg, .365 obp, .507 slg, .872 ops

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Piscotty is/was a legit Top 50 prospect. Doubles machine, good batting eye. Not a surprise he's as good as he turned out to be so far.

Pham was also a bit of a top prospect, just a lot more questions about him when he was coming up.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think these last ~2 months of the season have been particularly frustrating. The Cards have several injuries to their offense and it looks like they will start slowing down. So what happens? Stephen Piscotty and Tommy Pham start carrying their offense by performing at a level they never managed to reach in the minors. How is this possible? Who the hell are these guys? Losing Grinchuk and Holliday for a time only to have these guys carry the offense is like if Cutch and Marte went down only for Lambo and Decker to hit at an all star level out of nowhere.

You guys are suspicious of Arrieta using ped's? How about the Cardinals as an organization?

Tommy Pham career:

Minors (2006-2015)- .258 avg, .340 obp, .415 slg, .755 ops

Majors (this season)- .278 avg, .352 obp, .500 slg, .852 ops

Stephen Piscotty career:

Minors (2012-2015)- .295 avg, .365 obp, .455 slg, .820 ops

Majors (this season)- .313 avg, .365 obp, .507 slg, .872 ops

I won't ever suspect or say someone is taking PEDs without pure evidence of it... But if someone told me any of those 3 were using PEDs, i wouldn't be shocked.

I think Arrieta's story is a very unique one and usually where there is smoke, there is fire. How does one just become so dominant out of nowhere? Even the best pitchers in the game have highs/lows. This little "run" he's on is near impossible to go on from what we've seen in his career. I'm sure yoga helped... but come on. :sarcasm:

Once again, I'm ALL for innocent until proven guilty. I want to make sure that's clear. :laugh: I just wouldn't be shocked if news broke one day and had his name on it much like i WOULD be shocked if Cutch's name was on a list. Almost like the Barry Bonds thing. How does a guy go from slender to like tripling his size the way he did w/o something enhancing the progress.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Either way, that Cubs team is going to be a miserable group to play every year. Super young team and ****ing loaded. Plus Epstein runs things. 100+ wins is going to win the division every year in the Central for a while i think.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm pretty sure they play a 1 game winner takes all.....loser would host the WC game.

Yes, Chicago is pretty much cemented into the road WC spot regardless of what happens with Pittsburgh & St. Louis.

The fact that we have Liriano available definitely helps. He's not a true ace, but he's a legit #1/2. Looking at the potential pitching match-ups in that Mets-Dodgers series is insane...mostly because the Mets have so many good starters while the Dodgers would probably be starting Kershaw/Greinke for 4 out of a potential 5 games.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
between kershaw and greinke, the mets trio, arrieta being on fire you could make the argument that getting the cardinals might be the best route. too bad the cardinals are so steeped in high octane devil magic.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
We all should float the Arrietta PED rumor as much as possible around the net. We need the media to pick up on this before next week. Let's make Arrietta address it before the WC game.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am so so suspicious the Cards are the Pats of the baseball world.

They just have not been caught much yet, but it will come. I think they cheat in multiple ways, and it changes over time.

MLB 2013 article
"With .402 on-base and .463 slugging percentages, St. Louis completed a rare triple crown of production with men in scoring position."

Just an opinion.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
We all should float the Arrietta PED rumor as much as possible around the net. We need the media to pick up on this before next week. Let's make Arrietta address it before the WC game.

Like the idea, don't like the consequences - it would just boomerang back on Pittsburgh.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
My question is what happened to the PED testing and suspensions??? Are we really to believe that PED's are out of MLB?? LOL Same with the NFL.... Show me any picture of Terrell Suggs and tell me he isn't juiced.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
There are an ever expanding variety of masking agents, tactics, and new PED's these days. Tough to keep up with them to prevent the tests from getting beat.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I would start Cole in a hypothetical tiebreaker game for the division, if only because in general we have a better chance to win a one game playoff with the Cardinals than the Cubs, and also because if we ended up losing and facing Arrieta, the potential standard of only allowing 1 run or less from our starter doesn't differentiate between Cole and Liriano. Not to mention that the payoff of winning the division is huge, because we would have home field advantage for the entire playoffs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I really hope Hurdle doesn't start Pedro in the wildcard game.

Pedro is 2 for 17 lifetime against Arrieta, the chances of him doing anything positive with the bat against Arrieta is very small.

All it takes is one misplay in the field by Pedro at the wrong time to lose the game.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Agreed- in a hypothetical wild card game, I do not want Pedro starting. He has just as much of a chance to hit a HR and do something glorious if we just have him available on the bench for the right pinch hitting situation. I do think that in a game against Arrieta, it may well take someone to hit a HR with one or two guys on at a key moment, but no reason that Pedro needs to be in the lineup for that to happen.

Meaningful September baseball has me very anxious. It's great to see, but it also abruptly runs against the mood of the entire rest of the season, even though mathematically that's false (so for example, if we could just go back in time and reverse some of those horrid losses against the Brewers, we wouldn't need to be fighting for our lives right now). Every inning is magnified to an insane degree. Tonight's game sets the tone for what is possible this week. If Happ performs well and we hit Lynn like we're capable, then that puts a huge amount of spotlight on tomorrow immediately, given that I imagine everyone has us winning on paper Wednesday.

I really wish I wasn't in a time zone six hours ahead right now...staying up til almost 4am would destroy my week, but it might have to happen tomorrow if we win tonight.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
2. Stephen Piscotty (R) RF
3. Matt Holliday (R) LF
4. Jason Heyward (L) CF
5. Jhonny Peralta (R) SS
6. Brandon Moss (L) 1B
7. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
8. Tony Cruz (R) C
9. Lance Lynn (R) P

1. Gregory Polanco (L) RF
2. Josh Harrison (R) 3B
3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF
4. Starling Marte (R) LF
5. Neil Walker (S) 2B
6. Francisco Cervelli (R) C
7. Pedro Alvarez (L) 1B
8. Jordy Mercer (R) SS
9. J.A. Happ (L) P

I got no complaints with Hurdle on that lineup, Hurdle has at least been using the best lineups recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00