OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Anything But Miller Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
traveling back to pgh and will be able to see 3 out of the 4 games this weekend. so excited. any new places to eat that are must visits on the north shore?

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
When Walker went out for a week or so his avg was .252, it's not at .274. Here's to hoping Marte gets the same boost. :)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
traveling back to pgh and will be able to see 3 out of the 4 games this weekend. so excited. any new places to eat that are must visits on the north shore?

If you like women dressed in next to nothing serving you decent food before a game, go to Tilted Kilt. Got in there on game day a month ago without a wait. Think Hooters but Irish themed and better food (IMO).

And btw, i took my wife in there (Bettis' 36 Grill had nearly an hour wait)......so yes, I'm a BOSS :D

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm going to try a place called Proper Brick Oven. I don't think it's brand new but it is fairly recent and has a lot of good reviews.

Cubs just ran up a bunch of runs on Randy Choate, 6-2 late in game 1. Two rookie or scrub pitchers in game two, it looks like, so hopefully the Cubs offense can stay hot for that one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Glad to have ya in the Burgh!

I would walk across the Clemente bridge into town and go to all the restaurants in the Cultural District: Meat & Potatoes, Sienna Mercato, Olive or Twist, Proper Brick Oven, etc.

That's where some of the best food in Pittsburgh is. Definitely walkable from North Shore, if that is where you are staying. It's just a walk over the Clemente bridge. In my opinion, the food on the North Shore really isn't that worth it.

edit: Didn't see DJ's post. Man has good taste. :yo:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Encouraging to see Polanco hit the ball hard the opposite way. A few weeks ago they seemingly shortened his swing. Since then it seems to me he is not getting fooled quite as much. If he can get used to the shorter swing he might start hitting much better.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Barmes in my mind was the last remnant of an era where the Pirates were total losers. He wasn't good enough to be a starter in this league yet he was starting for the Bucs.

The reasons I dislike him are not things he can control. Nevertheless, I will always have negative memories of his time as a Buc.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
He was here when we turned it around, he played solid defense and batted 8th. I find it hard to hate him.

**** these storms on the other hand. So ****ing old.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Toss that one into the 'I've seen a lot, but I've never seen that' file. Absurd/hilarious/frightening.

Barmes in my mind was the last remnant of an era where the Pirates were total losers. He wasn't good enough to be a starter in this league yet he was starting for the Bucs.

The reasons I dislike him are not things he can control. Nevertheless, I will always have negative memories of his time as a Buc.

He was here when we turned things around...I recognize him as a member of the Bucs on the upswing, not the failure era.

I think you just hate short stops :P

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I know Barmes got here in 2012. I mean he was the type of player the Pirates employed when they were a total joke. He had no business starting in the majors and I'm glad Mercer managed to take his job.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Barmes was a stud defensively and typically batted 8th. He wasn't great, but he was sure-handed and solid enough. Guy busted his ass. That's not the same as the Buccos who were just ****ing awful.

And man... I love hockey/baseball players. Cutch and Rodriguez didn't look around or anything. They went and helped immediately. That's the true character of a man. I would love to see what happened if a football team had to make that same decision. I just don't think the majority of guys would sit in the rain and help put a tarp on the field.

Cool moments all around.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Buccos I associate with failure just wanted one last paycheck before checking out, and they had no interest in working for it.

Bell is the obvious poster child for that, but he was hardly alone. Jeromy Burnitz was a big one around the time I was giving up on the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad