NFL: Raiders hire Jon Gruden as head coach (10 years/around 100 M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is going to be a f***ing disaster.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see Gruden's soul get crushed the first time he says "this is how we did it when we won the Super Bowl" and then realizes it doesn't move the needle because none of the players were old enough to remember it.

Reactions: Amerika and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Guenther’s a good hire from what I hear about him. Not too thrilled about Olson though.

I've heard Rich Gannon is pretty much a lock to be his QB coach.

It’s not like Gruden has had to rehabilitate his image among Raider fans or their upper management. He might be more loved than John Madden and Tom Flores.

He did help bring a lot of fans back into the fold just a few years after they returned from Cali, and he's a symbol of their last run of success.

Is coaching money guaranteed?

Yup. Most contracts have moral clauses so if the coach gets arrested or is involved in a scandal, they can fire him and only pay a fraction of what he's owed. But they are fully guaranteed other than that.

Reactions: member 51464

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most important thing for Gruden is having Carr at QB, who is a 4 year starter already. That's the key for him to have a QB to work with.

Will Gruden last the whole 10 years? No, I doubt it. But, if I were making $7 mill at ESPN to work pre-season in August to early Jan for the 1 playoff game and do the Pro Bowl, it would take a lot to get me to give that up. And I have Feb - Jul to do public speaking engagements for 5 figures a pop and hold my QB camps and stuff, I'd want a significant amount to take on the added stress and time.

Challenge for Chucky going forward:
1) Add depth to their expensive OL.
2) Find a new RB. I would think this was Lynch's only season in Oakland.
3) Upgrade the secondary. Need Joseph, Conley, and Obi (Safety) to do something.
4) Need upgrade on DL to put pressure on the QB.

They hold pick #9/10 in the draft, so plenty of options to get help on the DL or secondary in the first 2 rounds. Grab a RB in round 3.

Reactions: Voight

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
But why doe???

The Gruden fascination will never cease to amaze me. Yea, he won a SB, and his TB teams were...okay, but he never really did that much as a coach to be highly considered, especially after not coaching for a f***ing decade.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Olson is a bad play caller so it's good he won't be calling them. Gruden is going to be tougher on Carr than other coaches were so he needed to get someone Carr knows in there to be kind of a friend to him.

Guenther's defenses in Cincinnati were good. Oakland needs better linebackers.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'll give gruden credit for revitalizing the raiders in the mid 90s-early 00s

but still, that was almost 20 years ago. he rode dungy's bucs and a HOF defense to a SB and when that defense began to age, the bucs became a perennial loser. oh, and he hasn't coached in the NFL in 10 years

so basically, the raiders threw all this money at him for something he did nearly two decades ago

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Olson will also organize position meetings and film sessions and help Gruden formulate gameplans. OC's don't just call plays.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
DTI0MgyVAAAajkr.jpg

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Something that he said yesterday really made me wonder. He talked about how they are going to overload Derek Carr and see if he can handle it. Wouldn't it be better to make it easy on your QB instead of making an already difficult job even harder? That's says to me he's out of touch.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I did read today that Carr's 125 million dollar deal is basically a two-year contract worth $47 million, so they can cut him next year and be left with 7-9 million in dead cap. So Gruden has a year to see if he's the guy for him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I can’t get enough Gruden quotes. Either he’s hamming it up because he knows good TV, or he’s going to get absolutely embarrassed by sticking to outdated thinking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm curious as to what wildcat plays he's dreamed up over all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad