Pre-Game Talk: Ragnars @ Caps - 12/8/17 - 7PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yet EK's D is anything but adequate.

Disagree completely. He's usually underrated in that regard, though. So is Shattenkirk, for that matter.

By the way, I don't include what a guy does on the PP or PK when I think of where they fall on the depth chart. Shattenkirk had 56 points last year, which was 4th in the league for D... but he was 15th at even strength. As opposed to Karlsson who was 3rd overall (15 points ahead of KS) and 2nd at ES.

Basically what I'm saying is that... if you're going to play defense like Karlsson or Shattenkirk, you gotta put up points at ES like Karlsson if you want to be a first pairing player. Who else puts up points at that level besides EK? Burns, Hedman, Hamilton, Byfuglien... and believe it or not... Skjei.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yet EK's D is anything but adequate.

This is just wrong. Like this isn't "ok Shattenkirk is a little shaky but I think the criticism is exaggerated." No, this is like opposite of true.

Karlsson has the best defensive analytics in the league. Not transition or possession. Like, actual in-zone defense. He's bonafide elite in his own zone.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
24/7 in 2015? Not like the 24/7 from 2012 is it?
Well, the Caps were in the winter classic in 2015 vs the Blackhawks and there was a "Road to the Winter Classic" series behind the scenes following them.

They played us in one of the games and in the locker room Trotz told his players that they're a lot better than us and that we would be in their rear view mirror soon.

Then in those playoffs we met them in the 2nd round and they got up 3-1 on us. I remember specifically Holtby, Trotz and Kuznetsov having interviews where they thought it was in the bag and stuff. And then, well, you know what happened next.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Point proven. I'm wrong.

Good for you!!! Seriously!

Otherwise, I think EK is a bad comparison since we are talking perennial Norris trophy candidate. There are another 60 top pair defensemen in the league to compare.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Good for you!!! Seriously!

Otherwise, I think EK is a bad comparison since we are talking perennial Norris trophy candidate. There are another 60 top pair defensemen in the league to compare.

I just don't agree on Shatty. I refuse to believe there are 60 other d-men better than him.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Well, the Caps were in the winter classic in 2015 vs the Blackhawks and there was a "Road to the Winter Classic" series behind the scenes following them.

They played us in one of the games and in the locker room Trotz told his players that they're a lot better than us and that we would be in their rear view mirror soon.

Then in those playoffs we met them in the 2nd round and they got up 3-1 on us. I remember specifically Holtby, Trotz and Kuznetsov having interviews where they thought it was in the bag and stuff. And then, well, you know what happened next.

Honestly think I enjoyed this series more than the Pens one the year prior.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm saying he's a 2 and not a #3.
He's a ++++++++1 - 1 Northbound.

He's a number 3 dman in the traditional sense.

Again here's the weird thing. IDK why people have issues with that [not saying you per se].

We needed that type of player. There is no need to reimagine his play style.

Furthermore, me thinks most of the saltiness about the Trotz comment has more to do with opening vacuum seals on HF boards very own echo chamber.

Trotz must have brain damage now too.

Thanks AV!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ok.

If 31 players are better defensively, he would be a 2-3, which is less than a 1-2.

The context was Trotz saying that Shattenkirk is not 1-2 so to me 2-3 is NOT an option (though I could agree that this is the group he'd fall into). The comment implied that he's not a top pair but rather a second pair defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad